Gransnet forums

Chat

Perfumes you've worn down the years

(157 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 26-Dec-21 09:32:58

With all the expensive perfume ads on telly at the moment I was just thinking of the various scents that have been popular across the years. As a very young adult I loved Anais Anais, then like so many people in the 1980s I adored White Linen. That smell would take me straight back to my early 20s. Then I wore Clarins Eau Dynamisante for years and now wear Light Blue by Dolce and Gabbana.

NotAGran55 Wed 29-Dec-21 06:54:01

?

Rosie51 Thu 30-Dec-21 23:10:26

Today a woman whose perfume was just lovely apologised for coming too close to reach down something from a shelf. Whether it would smell the same on me I'll never know because I couldn't pluck up the courage to ask what she was wearing. I could kick myself. Very hard!

nexus63 Thu 30-Dec-21 23:30:17

at secondary school i wore my grans perfume, yardley lily of the valley, at 16 i started work in a shop that was like a chemist but no dispersary, they sold perfume and i fell in love with tweed, panache and charlie red and still wear them, recently topped up my charlie red supply while shopping in tesco.

hollysteers Fri 31-Dec-21 09:14:21

I honestly believe there are too many scents! Completely confusing. I would be quite happy with a choice of three: floral, musky and citrus. No choice and probably would have been quite content in soviet Russia (apart from the queuing)

Happysexagenarian Sun 02-Jan-22 19:33:51

What a lovely topic, so many memories here.

I'm currently wearing Chanel No.5, it's my all-time favourite. I first bought it when I was 16 and I am rarely without it.

But when I fancy a change I also have the following on my dresser:
Blue Grass
Intimate
Eternity
Tweed
Youth Dew - found a big unopened bottle at my DM's after she died 20 years ago!
and occasionally I wear DH's Aramis Aftershave

Back in the day other favourites were:
L'air du Temps
Charlie
L'Aiment
Je Reviens
Lily of the Valley
and Brut Aftershave

Esmay Sun 02-Jan-22 23:21:59

I like Anais Anais and just sent it as a gift to my best friend .
I used to buy her Laura Ashley - another favourite .
Is White Linen still available ?
I also loved Heaven Sent .
Agree -Diorissimo smells of Lily of the Valley .
I still love L'Aimant and Yardley florals especially Gardenia .
M and S do nice floral as well .
Shalimar is immortal .And I'm sorry that I've discovered Helveti -it's so expensive and addictive .