Gransnet forums

Chat

What noise annoys ?

(65 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 26-Dec-21 19:43:45

Ok, i start ... the sound of a rustling crisp packet
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

My hearing zones in on nothing but the crisp packet, but of course when i am eating crisps ( which i do everyday) my hearing zones in on anything and everything but not the crisp packet i am rustling haaa... weird confused

Sashabel Sun 26-Dec-21 21:43:58

The dreadful tacky toys that people who should know better buy for my grandchildren - all beeping, whistling and playing horrible tunes. My daughter was not very happy this Xmas with some of the tat they opened and these came from relatives who know how annoying these gifts can be and say things like "you're not going to like this" to her as they open them. Very frustrating

Mapleleaf Sun 26-Dec-21 21:49:50

Yes, there are noises that annoy, certainly. However, it’s impossible to eat either crisps or apples quietly, even with the best will in the world. They crunch, end of !
I think one of my pet hates are sweet wrappers being continually squished by the person who has eaten the sweet they contained. Another dislike of mine is people clicking their nails, uurgh - it’s as irritating as chalk squeaking on a blackboard!

BigBertha1 Sun 26-Dec-21 22:25:16

My husband has a tapping or clicking habit with pens, his feet, his fingernails on mugs...drives me mad!!!

Curlywhirly Sun 26-Dec-21 22:45:50

Oh most definitely someone sniffing or blowing their nose - yuck, just disgusting!
Anyone using a drill - reminds me of the dentist.

Sago Sun 26-Dec-21 22:56:06

O other people’s mobile phones in public places.

CanadianGran Sun 26-Dec-21 22:57:42

Flip-flop, flip-flop. Summertime sandals drive me mad.

Also high-pitched buzzing. One of the computers at work occasionally hums, and also the fan over my stove is annoying.

GreyKnitter Sun 26-Dec-21 23:10:35

Snoring when I’m still wide awake!!!!

ginny Mon 27-Dec-21 09:22:42

The noise on TV when DH is watching motor racing or rugby. How those commentators don’t have a heart attack I don’t know. !
Continual background music of any kind.
People who crack their knuckles.

All the bleeps that go with machines and appliances theses days.

BlueSky Mon 27-Dec-21 09:33:11

People talking to me before my morning coffee!

LadyGracie Mon 27-Dec-21 10:14:44

Barking dogs. Sniffing. Crackly snack snack packets.
DH scratching his head.

Shelflife Mon 27-Dec-21 10:31:50

LtEve, I am with you - I too have lovely memories of my Mum. She too would recite " What noise annoys an oyster most, a noisy noise annoys an oyster most" Like you as soon as I saw the thread title my thoughts went straight to Mum. Looks like we both have happy memories of our Mums - how lucky are we !?

H1954 Mon 27-Dec-21 10:41:13

Most of the above plus squealing children, not the happy joyful giggles made during play, but the incessant high pitched squeals, particular when parents are ignoring them ?

henetha Mon 27-Dec-21 10:45:08

Another one here who dislikes dogs which go on and on barking.

Coastpath Mon 27-Dec-21 10:56:47

Magpies and crows - they sound like they need anger management courses.

MiniMoon Mon 27-Dec-21 11:02:50

The constant hiss that is with me day and night.
Tinnitus is horrid, I feel for you NanKate, and all other sufferers.

JaneJudge Mon 27-Dec-21 11:05:57

We were discussing this the other day, my husband hates the sound of cutlery scraping plates, as does one of my sons. The only thing I could think of was I hate cotton wool balls being squashed but its not really a sound, more a textural thing

EllanVannin Mon 27-Dec-21 11:09:27

I'm with you on the car alarms Urms, house ones too that go on for ages sometimes, so much so that you can still hear them when it's stopped,----or you think you've gone deaf at the quietness of everywhere.

Jalyn Mon 27-Dec-21 11:13:37

Here goes...
The sound of anyone eating
Sniffing
Nose blowing
Throat clearing (yuk)
Tuneless whistling (looking at you DH)
Knives and forks scraping across a plate
Fireworks going off
High pitched screaming
I could go on

Lexisgranny Mon 27-Dec-21 11:13:53

The sound of people picking at their nails, that constant click click, and a door/window banging.

I’m with all the tinnitus sufferers, my main concern is at nighttime when lying in bed wondering if it is tinnitus or the freezer about to explode, particularly at this time of year. At the moment I just have my usual seashore noise.

Fully agree about sports commentators, I’m convinced the sound goes up significantly when a goal is scored. Similarly the way that adverts are much louder than actual programmes.

Jalyn Mon 27-Dec-21 11:15:46

Oh yes, sports commentators. I'm sure they are competing to see who is the loudest. Awful noise.

Blondiescot Mon 27-Dec-21 11:20:19

I'm usually more concerned than bothered about dogs barking, unless it's little yappy ones which go on and on...
Noises which really annoy me though include babies crying or kids' high-pitched squealing and screaming, and the sound of people touching or breaking up polystyrene.

emmasnan Mon 27-Dec-21 11:33:44

The sound of a spoon scrapping round a bowl or a door that doesn't fit well and rattles and taps when its windy.

Beswitched Mon 27-Dec-21 12:30:24

Kids skateboarding outside my house. The constant thump thump drives me mad.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 27-Dec-21 12:35:52

My husband sneezing! It’s not so much an irritation, but more a sudden loud sound which sends people running for cover ?

boheminan Mon 27-Dec-21 12:39:46

The sound of my neighbour's front door slamming at 5.45am, waking me up Mon-Sat when he goes to work