Gransnet forums

Chat

What noise annoys ?

(65 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 26-Dec-21 19:43:45

Ok, i start ... the sound of a rustling crisp packet
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

My hearing zones in on nothing but the crisp packet, but of course when i am eating crisps ( which i do everyday) my hearing zones in on anything and everything but not the crisp packet i am rustling haaa... weird confused

Marilla Mon 27-Dec-21 12:45:39

Hearing someone else’s really loud music blaring across the garden in fine weather. Don’t mind neighbour playing the radio softly, but the boom box effect from a few doors down makes me feel so angry! I can’t bare it!

Witzend Mon 27-Dec-21 12:47:42

Dh sneezing at full volume - like a bomb going off.

Thankfully we have this one no longer, but next door’s children continually screaming (I mean that very high pitched screaming, not normal play noise) when on the trampoline. It would truly make me feel murderous.

The noise of people who don’t pick their feet up, sloppily scraping along on hard supermarket floors.

Grannybags Mon 27-Dec-21 16:36:19

People cracking their knuckles

Chestnut Mon 27-Dec-21 16:47:42

I hate the sound of a packed football stadium which goes up and down according to the actions on the pitch. Then that sudden bit roar when a goal is scored. I watched just a tiny bit of the last big England match with the sound off.

Kali2 Mon 27-Dec-21 17:01:02

'Un-natural' sounds- anything electronic/electric like high tension lines- and for past 2 years (now solved thank goodness) the un-naturaé 'whine' of an industrial air-con unit at a factory 1/2 mile from us.

JillyJosie2 Mon 27-Dec-21 17:13:12

Next door's children, especially in the garden. Why do boys (these are 10 our 11ish) make random, very loud, roars or guttura
l noises or silly oo, oo, oo type noises.

DH singing snatches of song from the 1950s. Sopranos (sorry, can't stand the screeching!).

Audience laughter on radio (is it still called canned?). Radio programmes full of argument and people barking at each other in high pitched, stressed ways. No one is listening!

JillyJosie2 Mon 27-Dec-21 17:14:20

Oops, why isn't there an edit function? That should be boys making gutteral sounds!

Magnolia62 Mon 27-Dec-21 17:20:31

I hate any loud noises. Nowadays I can’t bear being in a situation whereby I cannot have a conversation with someone without shouting or leaning in to hear them. A meal out, party or get together is completely ruined once the music is turned up. Background music is fine or a bit louder if you are dancing. In the car, if someone turns the music up I can’t concentrate on driving or even thinking.

Magnolia62 Mon 27-Dec-21 17:24:13

Also, children screeching in supermarkets. Whatever happened to distracting techniques. I recently heard a young child screaming for ages and the parents just completely ignored said child.

Gwyneth Mon 27-Dec-21 20:39:19

Wind chimes drive me mad
All the bleeping from Nintendo type games particularly when on the train and settling down to a quiet read.
The scraping of chalk on a blackboard (from schooldays) really set my teeth on edge.

grannyqueenie Mon 27-Dec-21 21:07:33

A badly tuned radio, sets my teeth on edge!

mumski Mon 27-Dec-21 21:24:40

RAP MUSIC Detest it. I say to my children "Those that can't sing .... Rap". Misogynist, aggressive, nails down a blackboard.

ElaineI Mon 27-Dec-21 21:35:51

JaneJudge

We were discussing this the other day, my husband hates the sound of cutlery scraping plates, as does one of my sons. The only thing I could think of was I hate cotton wool balls being squashed but its not really a sound, more a textural thing

DD2 can't stand cotton wool either feel and texture and they do have a type of noise. The balls you get for cleaning babies were banned - was wipes all the way with DGS2. She also freaks out at polystyrene - touching it or hearing it being broken up and kids toys have a huge amount! With me it's sniffing, eating peanuts, crisps, apples and eating with mouth open. I also hate DH sitting jigging his leg with the slipper waving about. It's called misophonia I think ?

Serendipity22 Mon 27-Dec-21 21:57:06

JaneJudge

You mention the word 'scraping', which brought me to realise another infuriating noise, the scraping noise as someone is getting the last bit of yoghurt/ jelly/ whatever from the pot. Grrrrrr