Gransnet forums

Chat

Do I have awful taste in kitchens.

(137 Posts)
Beswitched Wed 12-Jan-22 09:45:28

I was watching a property programme last night and, as happens so often, a kitchen dismissed as dated was exactly to my taste. Colourful, lovely old table and cupboards, cookery books on a shelf, pretty curtains.
The couple bought it and were congratulated on their kitchen update. I hated it - white marble flooring, dark grey island and cupboards, light grey blinds, high leather stools. It looked cold and sterile to me, but seems to be the kind of kitchen everyone oohs and aahs over.
Just wondering if my taste in kitchens is really dated or if some of you also usually prefer the 'before' to the 'after' kitchens in these programmes smile

Sardinia2020 Wed 12-Jan-22 13:37:39

I love the new style streamlined kitchens especially when the owners have added a few quirky personal touches.

Elizabeth27 Wed 12-Jan-22 13:54:34

The shiny white kitchens are not to my taste, having always preferred a country cottage look but each to their own.

I do-not like the shades of grey look for the rest of the house either especially the grey crushed velvet sofas and headboards which are popular.

Saying that I would prefer the grey to the cream carpet, pastel walls and beige furniture. I like colourful and quirky.

Josieann Wed 12-Jan-22 13:55:23

I'm more of a lounge and bedrooms soft furnishings type person, so kitchens do not usually excite me. My favourite kitchen is probably shaker style. Colour is all important to me, so these dark greys that are currently in fashion would not be my choice though they do look smart if accessorised with copper for example. We are having a new kitchen this year and I am currently battling with my husband as I have chosen a pink art deco style. He prefers a toilet green colour!

Aveline Wed 12-Jan-22 14:35:22

'Toilet Green'? My favourite!

paddyann54 Wed 12-Jan-22 14:48:54

Why is having up to date things seen as show offy ? Only very close family have been in my kitchen for 2 years no one else apart from GC cook in it or clean it .So its being a show of to like being in a bright modern environment?Even on my own .....who knew?

TillyTrotter Wed 12-Jan-22 14:51:29

I like a homely country wooden kitchen even though I live in a town. It has to look “lived in” , not everything hiding in cupboards. And yes, I suppose I am old-fashioned.

AreWeThereYet Wed 12-Jan-22 15:18:13

I agree Paddyann54 ? That comment is on a par with the 'tidy homes are characterless' on a different thread.

My kitchen is almost all white, with white gloss doors, except for a small section of wall between two doors that is tangerine. When I tell people it's tangerine the inevitable response is 'What??? that's very bright. I couldn't live with that'. It is bright. And happy. So are the tangerine bar stools. I don't care if no one else likes the tangerine, I love it. And when I don't it will be really easy to change the colours in the kitchen to whatever I fancy. So I say - do your own thing regardless of whatever anyone else likes. Because you'll never please everyone.

Josieann Wed 12-Jan-22 15:21:56

paddyann54

Why is having up to date things seen as show offy ? Only very close family have been in my kitchen for 2 years no one else apart from GC cook in it or clean it .So its being a show of to like being in a bright modern environment?Even on my own .....who knew?

I'm guessing paddyann it's because estate agents say that kitchens are top of the list to sell a house. So in that way, maybe many people have kitchen envy?

Witzend Wed 12-Jan-22 15:32:35

My kitchen is over 30 years old! TBH I would like a new one (classic cream Shaker style, no gloss, black, grey, or shiny-modern) but I can’t be bothered with all the faff.

I dare say we’ll have to do it at some point though - probably when the 30-odd year old oven or combi microwave packs up. Amazing that they’ve kept going for so long really.

Lucca Wed 12-Jan-22 16:04:12

Josieann

I'm more of a lounge and bedrooms soft furnishings type person, so kitchens do not usually excite me. My favourite kitchen is probably shaker style. Colour is all important to me, so these dark greys that are currently in fashion would not be my choice though they do look smart if accessorised with copper for example. We are having a new kitchen this year and I am currently battling with my husband as I have chosen a pink art deco style. He prefers a toilet green colour!

Pink ? How lovely. I look,forward to pictures.
I thought Of a muted pink and turquoise kitchen but wasn’t brave enough

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 12-Jan-22 16:11:27

I'm with you Beswitched as I like a warm, cosy kitchen with pretty curtains rather than a streamlined clinical look. My heart sinks when I see a very modern kitchen, sometimes almost all in black, a fashion which I think is changing now.

Sago Wed 12-Jan-22 16:14:26

Confession time….. here’s my kitchen dresser that somehow I never get around to sorting?

M0nica Wed 12-Jan-22 16:43:16

I updated my kitchen because the kitchen I had had for 25 years was beginning to fall apart, problems with door hinges and water getting under the surface of the coating of the doors, causing the surface to bubble. We were also extending the kitchen, the eating end had always been too small and we could not previously afford to do it - and that meant reconfiguring the kitchen. There have also been lots of developments in kitchen features, drawers with metal interiors that can bear the weight of all my saucepans, or all the kitchen crockery, pull out cupoards, full length units and so on.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 16:45:28

That looks very nice and homely Sago. I bet your home is cosy and welcoming.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jan-22 16:52:28

The main rooms in my home are very traditional, with fringed lampshades, wallpaper, patterned carpets and long heavy curtains, bookshelves etc. Chintz I guess you’d call it. but my kitchen is pristine white with blue tiles from Saville which I absolutely love.

So mix and match there?

Jaxjacky Wed 12-Jan-22 17:08:01

Our kitchen, just over a year old is white, flat surfaced cupboard fronts with cobalt blue tiles and grey karndean flooring. I love it, clean lines, clear surfaces like the rest of our house which is fairly minimalist, I hate clutter and dusting.

Josieann Wed 12-Jan-22 17:11:13

Nice Whitewavemark2, and actually that mix and match style can work in the kitchen itself. So I could have the traditional Shaker base units and drawers in pink and then the tall larder cupboards in contrasting modern glossy grey!
Your kitchen dresser is just how it should be Sago.

Coastpath Wed 12-Jan-22 17:11:15

I'm not a fan of modern kitchens - all those shiny surfaces and big wide drawers make me think of the morgue!

Sago Your dresser is my idea of heaven. Reminds me of the beautiful dresser wallpaper by Emma Bridgewater.

Germanshepherdsmum I too also inherited the white grout between floor tiles. Totally impossible to keep white!! Mine is coupled with black slate which is hopeless as I have a ginger and white dog who sheds constantly.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 17:12:50

I keep trying to get my husband to agree to replace our impossible kitchen tiles with the bl**dy white grout with Karndean Jax. But they would have to be taken up, as we have underfloor heating Karndean on top would probably be a recipe for huge bills.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 17:19:59

My sympathies on the floor front Coastpath. The only way to deal with our grout is to get down and scrub it with grout cleaner and needless to say that doesn’t happen too frequently. The tiles seem to attract the dog’s fur like a magnet too (shepherds shed all the time). I have a list of Things That I Will Never Have Again (the dog isn’t on it of course!).

SueDonim Wed 12-Jan-22 17:26:00

My kitchen was new some 17 years ago. It’s cream Shaker and despite the demands of family life with four children, GC, cats and a dog you could put it back in the showroom (it’s still available as a style). If I had a replacement, I’d choose the same again, I love it.

It’s also a family room and I have two walls papered in a Laura Ashley exotic birds paper and picked out the yellow for the other walls and utility room. It faces north and west so I wouldn’t have grey - living in Scotland you see enough grey in the sky as it is!

LauraNorderr Wed 12-Jan-22 17:31:29

No such thing as bad taste in kitchens. If you love it it’s your taste. Also change in taste is not necessarily being a slave to fashion.
In 1970 we were delighted with our lemon and wood grain hygena units. More recently we have had a lovely hand painted farmhouse kitchen, cream with big wooden knobs and oak work tops. Looked stunning but impractical layout and worktop maintenance was hard work.
Now we have a large kitchen in an old farmhouse. Sage green shaker style units and white silestone worktops. We have a wall of tall cupboards, range cooker and fridge freezer. The opposite wall has a bank of big pan drawers. There is a large island in the centre of the room incorporating sink, waste disposal, dishwasher, cupboards. The other side of the island has four stools where friends sit to chat while I cook.
It is by far the most practical kitchen we’ve ever had and I love it. No dead corners.
It doesn’t look like a lab as there are open wood shelves, lots of baskets and colourful paintings on the walls.

TillyTrotter Wed 12-Jan-22 17:43:44

Your kitchen sounds gorgeous LauraNorder.
I think you need to live in a house for a while to know what works best for you.

TerriBull Wed 12-Jan-22 17:47:46

We moved to a house this year with a shiny white kitchen complete with long counter inset with hob and sink, the ovens are set into units across one wall, sideways on from it and I also have a good sized utility with further work surfaces for kettle/toaster and other paraphernalia. I love the counter bit because it faces out through bifold doors onto the garden, plus it provides me with more than enough preparation space. .Although, when our surveyor's report came back that actually pointed out that we might get fed up walking round what effectively is a very long counter, and yes I do at times, particularly when I need a piece of equipment which is sited round the other side. I'd also admit when the sun shines in a certain way it hits the shiny parts of the kitchen cupboard doors, highlighting little smudges, and such times I feel compelled to attack those with Flash. I suppose a white kitchen could be considered something akin to a science lab, but my counter surface is often strewn with ingredients and chopping boards, not Bunsen burners, but I understand that point of view, when such kitchens are displayed appearance wise, in a very clinical way. Whilst I'm happy with this kitchen and it kind of sold the house to me, I can appreciate other styles too. I like mix and match, previously I had a Shaker style kitchen, the freestanding dresser I had in that has been moved into the dining room with all my eclectic bits of china.

TerriBull Wed 12-Jan-22 18:15:53

this year last year, still not mentally in 2022 yet!