Gransnet forums

Chat

My favourite shops are charity shops, which shops are your favourite ?

(131 Posts)
Serendipity22 Thu 13-Jan-22 15:26:03

Today i decided to go to a quaint market town near me. I love the ambiance of this market town, the people are so friendly, love it.

I trail from charity shop to charity shop then open the door to a welcoming, warm cafe, sit near window so can people watch while a contented, happy feeling sits within me that i have bargains in my bags that sit at my feet.

Then after sipping my coffee, i scoop up my bargains and head away from the welcoming cafe, to MORE charity shops.
gringringrin

rubysong Sat 22-Jan-22 21:16:22

When having a charity shop mooch in our nearest town I discovered the Scrap Store. What an Aladdin's cave! I paid my £5 to be a member for a year and for £2.50 I got to fill a bag from the 'members only' section. There were all kinds of craft materials and random useful things. I look after two DGC each week so I shall be there often.

Serendipity22 Sat 22-Jan-22 21:50:45

rubysong oooo never heard of scrap store what a brilliant idea, i must run that by the charity shop i frequent more often.....

Pepper59 Sun 23-Jan-22 03:11:44

Book shops. I used to love record shops but all that is left is HMV, which I still have an odd mosey around.

M0nica Sun 23-Jan-22 07:21:53

In my casesecond-hand bookshops.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Jan-22 07:40:09

Well our charity shop doesn’t smell nasty …..I can’t say the same for a few of the folks coming in though, especially the posh mums looking for a designer bargain ( the things people throw out without checking the going price is unbelievable) with their 3 year old in a dirty nappy

Joking aside the majority of people we have come in are really lovely and we keep an air freshener handy for the odd one

We only put out fresh or neutral smelling clothes a lot of our donors wash and press before bringing in, then you get the bags that you know they have just emptied the wash basket into the bag complete with dirty tissues and worse
The worst is when you open a bag from a heavy smokers home and it’s very frustrating as they may be nice clothes but you can never get rid of the smell and they have to go