Gransnet forums

Chat

Driving alone at night

(84 Posts)
Allsorts Thu 13-Jan-22 20:37:46

I have been finding every excuse not to drive at night. I love going out for the odd evening but frequently pull out because of the way I feel about night driving and coming back into empty house, won’t get taxi at the moment because of Covid, but will eventually.

Kim19 Thu 13-Jan-22 21:26:31

What's your problem with night driving? I frequently hear people say it's the lights of oncoming vehicles that makes them uncomfortable.

Jaxjacky Thu 13-Jan-22 21:28:56

Is it the driving, or getting out of your car into an empty house Allsorts?

M0nica Thu 13-Jan-22 22:06:32

I have more or less stopped night driving because I cannot see well enough at night. It is not glare, but I only feel I can see properly with my headlights on full.

There is nothing wrong with my eyesight for day time driving. I have regular eye checks and and always use my distance glasses. I am legally fully compliant.

Curlywhirly Thu 13-Jan-22 22:23:08

If you are uncomfortable with night driving and going back to an empty house, I wouldn't hesitate to get a taxi (just put your mask on; we have been in several taxis lately and felt quite safe) and ask the taxi driver to just hang on until you have entered the house.

Humbertbear Thu 13-Jan-22 22:25:20

If you drive ask your friends to wait up till you have phoned them to tell them you are home safely.

Teacheranne Fri 14-Jan-22 00:17:18

I have a pair of night vision glasses which I can slip over the top of my driving glasses if the glare of oncoming lights is a nuisance - I look a bit daft but I can see better! In my new car, the mirror automatically dims the glare from lights of cars behind me which is really good and I think my windscreen might be treated with some type of finish as the glare does not seem as bad.

I have a lamp in my hall on a timer so when I get home in the dark my house looks welcoming and I don’t have to fumble for a light switch when I get in. I also have a motion light near my door which lights up as I walk to the door so feel quite cafe.

I do get taxis sometimes even in these Covid times if I want to enjoy a drink, I wear a mask, make sure the driver is and then ask him to open his window and my window. They are not all very keen but they do comply and I only make short journeys. I use the same local company and pay through their app so don’t need to exchange money.

For me, it is time to start getting my social life back, it’s not good for my mental health to be isolated for much longer.

Pepper59 Fri 14-Jan-22 01:11:44

I leave outside light on and have lights on timers.

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 16:01:07

The chances of anything happening to you on your way home or when you get there is so remote, you are probably more in danger staying at home and making a cup of tea (you could tip scalding water from the kettle all over you)

Headline horrors hit the headlines because they are so rare and anyway, how many involve old ladies driving home in the dark?

BlueBalou Fri 14-Jan-22 19:36:43

M0nica

I have more or less stopped night driving because I cannot see well enough at night. It is not glare, but I only feel I can see properly with my headlights on full.

There is nothing wrong with my eyesight for day time driving. I have regular eye checks and and always use my distance glasses. I am legally fully compliant.

This is me too MOnica, I no longer drive at night. I’m not worried about being out alone at night per se but the driving really is problematic. I shall just get taxis if necessary.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 14-Jan-22 20:09:14

I bought some yellow tinted clip on glasses to clip over my driving glasses, I haven’t tried them yet, hopefully they will help with the glare of headlights coming towards me.

Cabbie21 Fri 14-Jan-22 20:52:13

At night, I only drive locally, on routes I know well. It was foggy this evening but I knew the road like the back of my hand so it was fine. One of my choirs is currently rehearsing in a different place this month and I don’t feel confident enough to drive there, so I wont be going for a few weeks.

Witzend Fri 14-Jan-22 22:57:21

I’m all right on well lit roads, or where there are nice bright cats’ eyes. I would never drive on unlit country roads at night any more, though. My night vision is not what it was.

Sparklefizz Sat 15-Jan-22 08:39:51

I wonder how I ever had the courage to venture out in the car without a mobile phone back in the day. grin Ignorance is truly bliss.

Baggs Sat 15-Jan-22 08:49:00

If you are going out with friends, oe meeting them somewhere, would it be possible for one of them to pick you up, take you home, and see you inside safely? You could offer to pay for the fuel they use.

Lexisgranny Sat 15-Jan-22 08:49:53

Sparklefiz I entirely agree. Though I have had no reason (thanks heavens) to use it for any emergency purpose, on the one occasion when I left my phone behind I felt very anxious. I too try to avoid night driving,

Sparklefizz Sat 15-Jan-22 08:58:37

Decades ago - before mobiles were even thought of - I had a puncture on the M4 with 2 small children in the back while driving to see my Mum. I managed to coast along the hard shoulder until I was close to one of those orange phones that used to be available (and may still be) and rang my breakdown assistance, then had to take the children and climb up the embankment to stay out of harm's way while it got dark and traffic was thundering past.

The children were worried so we played a "Spot the red car" game until assistance arrived.

Mum was frantic when we eventually arrived as I hadn't been able to contact her to tell her what had happened.

Marmight Sat 15-Jan-22 09:16:19

I leave the radio & hall light on when Im out at any time and have timers on a number of lamps. I have to drive down bendy, muddy, narrow country roads to get home. The bonus at night is that I can see the headlights of approaching cars in time to take avoiding action! 2 security lights pop on as I arrive. I recently left home for a hospital appt at 7.15 in the dark in the eventual rush hour and was severely spooked by speeding oncoming traffic on unfamiliar roads. I won’t be doing that again in a hurry. Taxis are out of the question as the nearest is 10 miles away and doubles the price. ?. TG for mobile phones

Newquay Sat 15-Jan-22 09:16:52

I had a (delayed!) routine eye test in the week. I had noticed some glare at night and-as expected-I have the beginnings of cataracts ? so I’ve now bought a pair of tinted anti glare specs. As it was very foggy here Thursday I zoomed choir so haven’t tested them yet.
Also for some time I’ve used the fog lights on unlit roads and they make the side of the road much clearer.
As for reaching home, as others have said, have outside lights on and an inside lamp on a timer too so you don’t go into a dark house.
I also read a tip that on entry you should always call out «hello I’m back!»
Any lift or taxi should also be asked until you’re safely inside too IMHO

Nan0 Sat 15-Jan-22 10:37:18

It's because as you age the iris dilates or shrinks in reaction to light less swiftly so you get dazzled more..think there are special night driving glasses one can get..

Patsyfagan Sat 15-Jan-22 10:38:03

I think it's an age thing. Loosing confidence as you get older. ?

Sparklefizz Sat 15-Jan-22 10:42:22

I also read a tip that on entry you should always call out «hello I’m back!

... and also call out goodbye and wave at an upstairs window when you leave.

Witzend Sat 15-Jan-22 10:47:35

Sparklefizz

I wonder how I ever had the courage to venture out in the car without a mobile phone back in the day. grin Ignorance is truly bliss.

Ditto, especially when I was still driving a pretty ancient car and regularly had to brave the invariably very busy 6 lane section of the M25.
I certainly wouldn’t do it now, not without my considerably newer car and smartphone.

sazz1 Sat 15-Jan-22 10:50:24

I really dislike driving at night as I had 2 very bad experiences coming home from a care job at 11.30pm. First was a hooded figure who ran out of an alley and attempted to jump on my car bonnet. I excellerated fast and saw in my mirror he landed on his bum in the road, shouting and swearing after me.
Second was another hooded person who tried to wave me down with his other hand in his pocket. He could have had a knife or anything. I just kept going and he jumped out of the way.
Both times I rang police from a few streets away. They would not send anyone out to investigate as no crime committed. Their advice was never to stop in that area as it was known for various crimes. I told them I would run over anyone trying to car jack or rob me and keep going.
Gave up the evening job and worked in the day after the second incident.

Philippa111 Sat 15-Jan-22 11:03:21

Like others I have been finding night driving more and more difficult with the oncoming lights giving me blind spots. I have just invested in a pair of Zeiss DriveSafe glasses specifically for night driving. The optician told me the main problem is the glare of LED lights on some cars. They are apparently only allowed to beam down on to the road in the EU and no such restrictions are in place here. I haven't tried the lenses yet but I'll let you know if they help. Otherwise I currently don't feel good driving after 4pm. I don't feel unsafe personally as I am mostly in the city and my car is well maintained for if I did find myself broken down in the middle of nowhere . I do still trust that most people are trustworthy and kind.