Gransnet forums

Chat

Driving alone at night

(85 Posts)
Allsorts Thu 13-Jan-22 20:37:46

I have been finding every excuse not to drive at night. I love going out for the odd evening but frequently pull out because of the way I feel about night driving and coming back into empty house, won’t get taxi at the moment because of Covid, but will eventually.

M0nica Sun 16-Jan-22 12:15:28

I think the problem are the journeys we cannot avoid. In winter it gets dark so early, so that would, for example, exclude going to matinees.

When DH was in hospital last year (Nov - Jan), the hospital had turned several of the patient carparks into staff car parks, for extra parking. After spending the whole of one early afternoon visiting hour trying to find a parking space (unsuccessfully). I started booking the 4.00pm-5pm slot, when outpatients were closing down. I could park relatively easily, and visit DH but had no alternative to driving home in the dark.

I sometimes have to go to meetings in the evening, and visiting a friend one afternoon a week, means driving in the dark in winter.

We now plan our life so that when we visit DC, both long journeys, we travel by day. Go in Friday, come back Monday

I find it is a question of planning journeys in advance to maximise driving along roads with lighting and with white lines and cats eyes, motorways and dual carriage ways, but this isn't always possible, so I just grit my teeth and drive more slowly.

Esspee Sun 16-Jan-22 12:24:22

I do remember on coming home from work in the winter visiting my local 24 hr supermarket far more than necessary after my husband died just because I didn’t want to go home to an empty house. Somehow the darkness made it worse (even though I left a light on). As the nights got lighter it did get easier.

Philippa111 Sun 16-Jan-22 15:22:27

Update on the night time driving lenses. They really did make a difference. The lights are still bright but somehow not as dazzling. I can recommend them.

Estrellita Mon 17-Jan-22 08:20:34

There is no way I would drive alone at night - or during the day for that matter - neither would I go out alone at night. Maybe I am just weird?!

effalump Mon 17-Jan-22 10:23:40

MOnica, yes me too. Since the street lights were changed from the yellow sulphur ones to the LED downlighters, I find I struggle to see in the dark. For the last three days though, we haven't even had streetlights so if I look out the windows when I go to bed, you can't even see the cars parked up on the road.

Teacheranne Mon 17-Jan-22 10:58:32

Estrellita

There is no way I would drive alone at night - or during the day for that matter - neither would I go out alone at night. Maybe I am just weird?!

Seeing as I live alone, I would have no social life if I did not go out alone at night! What are you so worried about?

I drive but tend to park in well lit areas at night, am rarely walking dark streets alone and live on a housing estate with street lighting near other houses. I don’t even think about it, I just park on the drive, walk up to my front door as the motion sensor lights come on, unlock the door and go into the hall where the lights are on and switch off the alarm.

dolphindaisy Mon 17-Jan-22 14:42:33

I try not to drive at night as I can't see the road markings or kerbs (eyesight fine during the day). I've also bought the yellow lense glasses that fit over my own glasses, they really do help if I need to drive in the dark, they are also great at this time of year when the sun is very low in the sky and can often be blinding.

aonk Mon 17-Jan-22 15:43:49

I too dislike night driving and try to avoid it. However I won’t allow this to stop me doing things I want to do and it’s mostly ok when I’m familiar with the route. If I have to go somewhere unfamiliar at night I do a practice run in daylight so I have some idea of what’s in store. I also use the satnav so that I’m warned where to turn off etc.

M0nica Mon 17-Jan-22 17:06:31

Estrellita What are you afraid of?