Gransnet forums

Chat

Presuming BJ goes.

(235 Posts)
Mollygo Sat 15-Jan-22 23:19:42

We’ve all had our say about whether he should go or not.
Why not turn this on its head and say who you would like instead of BJ, and why you think they would be good?
First someone from the Tory party because they’re still in. You may struggle to think of anyone, but give it a go.
Then who you’d like from any party or the party you vote for and why.
I’d vote for Andy Burnham. I know he’s only the Mayor of Greater Manchester now, but I think he’s really developed throughout Covid and he listens to the people.

Susysue Mon 24-Jan-22 01:31:03

Alegrias1

^Not Nicola Sturgeon - I listen to what my many Scottish friends think and what they call her!!! A definite 'no'.^

I'm Scottish. I call her Nicola to her face (well, I did that one time...) and FM otherwise. Or boss, because that's what she is.

We certainly seem to be having difficulty separating "what my friends who are just like me think" and what the "majority of people think" today, aren't we?

Alegrias1... it is more than obvious that you are a staunge Sturgeon supporter and like the majority of them, you are incapable of discerning how many OTHER people in Scotland, like myself, cannot stand either the woman, her party, her atrocious politics and lies and how singlehandedly she is chipping away at all the good things that us Scots were proud of about our country and countrymen. I know of not ONE single person within my family and large group of friends who does not feel the same way about her and her party's politics as I do. Unfortunately there are far too many in scotland like yourself who has been duped by Nicola Sturgeon and her lies and deceit. The woman cannot even be honest about her personal life and carries on the pretence of a sham marriage whilst living with her lesbian lover!!! Why??? Surely in the 21st century, what is wrong with being honest? Reason.... she is incapable of it. Managed to wheedle herself out of the fact she stabbed Alex Salmond in the back...she was behind that sorry state of affairs!

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 04:57:34

Aye, I read she's bought a house in Edinburgh with Andy Murray's mum.

All over t'internet it is.

But I'm the strange and gullible one. Fair enough. ??

Lucca Mon 24-Jan-22 05:05:31

The woman cannot even be honest about her personal life and carries on the pretence of a sham marriage whilst living with her lesbian lover!!!

Hilarious. Who made that up ? Someone on quora ?

FannyCornforth Mon 24-Jan-22 05:33:07

The rumour seems to be based upon the fact that Sturgeon hasn’t been seen in the chippie in The Bridge of Allan hmm

Aveline Mon 24-Jan-22 07:29:32

There is far more to this than that. The truth will out.

Casdon Mon 24-Jan-22 07:36:54

Now straying off the topic completely - what on earth has bitching about Nicola Sturgeon got to do with Boris going - or is it just an attempt to distract from the serious stuff that’s happening with the UK government? It’s not working.

Aveline Mon 24-Jan-22 08:59:56

It's true. Boris simply must go. Best dragging down the whole government. Nicola is also an embarrassment for different reasons but is a side show in the Westminster question right now.
Back to slagging party boy Boris.

Oldnproud Mon 24-Jan-22 13:44:21

I've come round to thinking that getting rid of Boris needs to be just the start.

The longer he has been in power, the more obvious it has become that he is just the tip of the iceberg, the visible edge of something rotten that goes far deeper.
Yes, he needs to go, but that alone is nowhere near enough.

It's time for a complete overhaul.

We urgently need a brand new, modern, fit-for purpose Parliament, located somewhere central within the UK. A building that: A) Has adequate seating for all MPs; B) Has office space for all MPs; C) Does not seat opposing MPs facing each other in a way that actively encourages the embarrassing and unproductive pack behaviour that we see regularly in the form of jeering, sneering, taunting and shouting down of each other across the floor.
(Oh, and definitely no subsidised bars!).

The new setting must be free of all the antiquated practices, relics of a time when politics was the domain of the privileged few, that still exist in the Palace of Westminster. The practices that 'normalize' bullying and persuasion (blackmail!) within that institution.

Then, with a new setting and more civilised ambiance, it might actually become possible to overhaul the voting system itself, which is also outdated, not designed for more than two 'sides' in politics. First past the post is so clearly not democratic in a multi-party age.

OK, this last one is unlikely to happen in my lifetime, but one has to dream ...

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Jan-22 13:51:16

I agree Oldnproud. Parliament needs to reform, and moving completely to a nice new building somewhere central (I suggest Manchester!) would change the whole mindset of not only the Government, but also the Civil Service which seems to be at the bottom of much of the current turmoil.

Boris' mishaps and misdemeanours have only highlighted what has been going on in Westminster to a lesser and maybe a greater degree (what do we know) for decades. The drinks after meetings seems to be the norm. No wonder we're up s**t creek.