Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 20th January 2022

(65 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 20-Jan-22 05:57:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark. cold and dry start here in brackley this morning .
I am having problems with my dressing as its coming apart, I am not having stiches removed until next week .
I lan to do my usual trip to Bicester regardless.
Take Care,
Mick

Blossoming Thu 20-Jan-22 10:09:38

Good morning Mick and everybody. Brilliant blue skies in my corner of Lancashire again this morning. It’s much colder though, currently 1°C. The roads and pavements are icy so I won’t be going for a walk, indoor exercise for me.

Wishing you all the best possible day. May all those with worries find some comfort and all who are under the weather find some relief. ?

luluaugust Thu 20-Jan-22 10:09:43

Good morning all from a sunny W Kent, frost still on the roof. I do sympathise May be Maw, so far this month the oven has packed up, our two laptops have gone on the blink and the dishwasher needs looking at. Pile of washing to get done today and then getting ready for first GC to stay at weekend since lockdown began.
Best wishes to all struggling along.

Blossoming Thu 20-Jan-22 10:15:28

Hope your ear is healing Mick

Good that things are moving along GrannySomerset flowers

Hello Townmouse

GrandmaSeaDragon Thu 20-Jan-22 10:23:51

Good morning everyone from sunny Rutland. It’s still frosty, 0 degrees with a slight breeze. The garden was beautifully moonlit at 6.30, but now it’s even more beautiful in the sun.

Wasn’t going to post today, not much to say except cooking bits bought yesterday to freeze and housework, much too wet and muddy to get in garden or allotment! Waiting to hear from DD2. SIL has at last been granted a vista for Australia and is trying to arrange flights to get there asap. It’s been very difficult. I am just waiting to provide “support services” when she and 3 DGS need. Bag packed and ready!

mick - echo advice already given re pharmacist or gp nurse. Hope you can get that dressing to stay put for a few more days.

Grandmabatty that reminds me about fire alarms. When we had an extension done with new alarms fitted all round, obviously wired, building regs,but with back up batteries, I noticed a date of 2021. Sure enough, Dec 2021, one started “cheeping” in the middle of the night?! All of others replaced now as well.

Alizarin lovely to see your photo of St Ives. I “visit” St Ives everyday on a live webcam. Not sure if I could post a link here on GN, but the cameras are all over the world. Found it in lockdown and sheer escapism. There is also a camera on a local hostelry in St Ives that sweeps all round the harbour and sea front. It is good to see the world waking up again with people back in the cities, on beaches and ski resorts and much more.

townmouse welcome, I’m new here too! You are doing exactly the right thing. We moved from suburban Surrey where we had lived for over 50 years, 145 miles north. I could not settle in the first village but now moved. It is still a village location but 10 mins to 2 towns and we have good facilities within the village. And we are 15 mins from DD1 and family. It is hard to leave a home you have walked over the threshold with babies, but you will take all those lovely memories wherever you are. I think the worst time is while house sales are going through and chains break, packing up and clearing things that bring back memories (and a few tears) and then you start thinking, are we doing the right thing. Yes, you are, you have good times and adventures to look forward to in your new home with DH and daughter. Good luck!

Wishing everyone the best day possible, especially those who are poorly. So much for having nothing to say!!!

BlueBalou Thu 20-Jan-22 10:25:04

Good morning everyone, a frosty start here and a chilly dog walk but now the sun’s out with clear blue skies, lovely!
Giving the house a good clean today, laundry and more decluttering. It sounds like the washing machine is on its way out......dreadful racket ? It’s 12 years old and has done very well. I may start looking for a new one later.

muse Thu 20-Jan-22 10:38:48

Good morning Mick and the multitude of Morningsters who arise before me.

Welcome Townmouse. I did your move in reverse and do miss town life and the close proximity of cities. I’m a Derbyshire lass that moved to very rural Cornwall.

Dry and no frost in mid Cornwall but quite cold.

??? for those with AC worries. I await a call from my DS soon ?

Another painting day but it should be the last. ?? for another year. Two lots of washing and brisk Mya walks to fit in.

????? ?for all.

merlotgran Thu 20-Jan-22 11:00:17

Good morning everyone from south Hants. I really should pop in more but sometimes it’s nearly lunchtime before I get a moment.

Maw, if your car passed its MOT, Rejoice, Punch the air, All is right with the world! ?

Hope everyone has a good day and any worries ease.

I’m just off to Aldi. Rock and Roll! ?

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jan-22 11:21:01

Good Morning All x.
A fine but cold morning but I didn't see any frost about, nice and fresh anyway.

Felt a bit odd when I woke up, a sort of heavy feeling, unusual for me but I carried on getting washed and dressed and tried to ignore it. In my head I could hear my mother asking " have you been to the toilet ?"----her answer to everything grin
However I did and all was well, probably eating too much. Apologies if anyone's eating.

How lovely to have met yesterday, Ashcombe and brook I'm sure you had a lovely chat.

Welcome townmouse, it's always nice to see new guests on this lovely thread.

Just put some washing out as it's so lovely now. I do like the air getting to towels. Exciting, isn't it ? grin
Home-made chicken soup on the menu today, those chicken pieces are so handy. I didn't get the sausages afterall so will leave them until Saturday now as it's fish tomorrow.

Waiting for the grass-cutters to start up as I have a " leaning " pine tree which was dashed by the last gales, so it needs staking, poor thing. The blue-tits and finches love it.

Those bloomin' vit D chewies leave a terrible taste at the back of my tongue so it calls for a chocolate each time I have one ( twice a day ) The price of keeping fit---I should worry.

Good to hear that there is some positivity in the air and GrannySomerset you've done so well. Time is the healer now.
Mick I hope you get your dressing sorted.

Hope all have a decent day, keep warm safe and well xx

Nonnadiana Thu 20-Jan-22 11:25:23

Put bicarb in soaking pot to get rid of burnt remains

dustyangel Thu 20-Jan-22 11:29:35

Good morning from a beautiful if slightly chilly Algarve. It is a lovely clear day but in the same way tha there can be a very heavy dew before a hot and sunny summer day in England, the ground outside is soaking. It went down to 4° last night and I’m very glad that this house has good insulation. The hot water bottles help as well!
I went to bed feeling extremely grumpy last night having been waiting since 16.50 for a further notification from CTT the Portuguese postal system. My email said that they had something for me and would be with me in some hours as they were still in Spain!
As far as I know the only thing that I am expecting from anywhere is an English calendar. There is no reason on earth for it to travel through Spain but I have given up on fathoming the intricacies of the Portuguese postal system and so I think have their staff. I don’t actually blame the staff involved at all, they are struggling with the same employment problems and difficult shifts that many British ones are.

However I still need to work out where in Spain my letter is. It’s a very big country. At the nearest point we are at least 2 hours away from Spain. Government employees could be working up to 7 pm. If I was very close to delivering something I’d rather finish the job and get it done but of course I have no idea what they are thinking of doing because for some reason they do not have my phone number included as usual, so can’t give me a quick ring to let me know.
We haven’t got anywhere that we have to go to today so apart from leaving all my messages on notification all I can try to do is forget about and just see how the day goes. I think a large cup of coffee is called for.

I’ll catch up with all your posts later, but Mick having seen yours I do hope that you can get some sort of dressing today. It would at least keep your ear clean and warm.

madeleine45 Thu 20-Jan-22 12:52:14

Town mouse, it is a hard thing to do I agree. Having moved in different countries and round Britain last year I had to leave my house and lovely garden, where I had lived with my dear husband for 20 years. I cared more about leaving the garden than the house but also it was somehow hard to move somewhere , where my husband had never lived . Some suggestions that you might try. If you have a little garden in the new place , ask the sellers if you may take photos of the garden before you move, not asking to go into the house but if you take photos and write on the back of them the time of day and weather they will be very useful. Most moving means that gardens have to wait until basics have been done, and it can be hard to remember what grows where and where the sun and shade areas are at different times of year. If you can get a soil sample or tell by the type of plants what sort of soil you have there and can be looking at what might be split or moved to the new address. Brian used to get graph paper and draw up a plan of the new place to scale. Then we would measure furniture that we thought we wanted to take thereand cut out scaled size model and either write the name on it or a number and then have an index of the numbers . So we then played round with putting different things onto the plan and try various combinations. If you have the plan and then you can each have a go at setting things out the best way you like, and then look it over and compare ideas. A great deal easier than moving actual furniture, helps you to visualise the new house with y our things in it and also to come to accept that certain things will not be able to go with you. The other slightly sneaky but useful thing is think of the opportunities that moving may provide. The curtains you never liked but too good to throw away, the horrible ornaments that you had to keep because someone gave them to you but you hate . So here is the chance to give away stuff that is good quality but you dont care for, to wait until everyone is out and then get that horrid ornament and smash it or chuck it in the bin - a great stress breaker , I used to keep any chipped plates to one side and not throw them out straightaway as it was so good to do it on a difficult day- and if the donor is still alive and comments about the missing ornament you can truthfully say "Oh it got broken when we moved and I dont have room for another one" My biggest practical thing was to buy a new bed, that totally suits me, is a small double, so takes less room but gives me plenty of space . I am very happy with it , and it has sort of helped me to feel that this is my space now. After all the hassle of the move you will gradually find you have more time for yourselves , less housework etc. Yes I still miss my house and garden, but being on a ground floor flat is allowing me to still live an independent life. Between the stairs and the house upkeep and now of course the considerable cost of heating , it would have been difficult to stay without constant worrying . Do hope all goes well for you

madeleine45 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:06:11

dustyangel Just read your message. Tem Pacienca (dont vouch for my spelling) I used to live in Portugal , in Parede between Lisboa and Cascais and sang with the Gulbenkian Choir. used to love coming down to the algarve at february time and getting oranges and lemons. We used to do a total pancake party with the super fruit and also with savoury fillings and all sorts. Had two doors in and out of kitchen so had a constant stream of people coming in and I would be tossing pancakes for much of the evening. One popular ,nursery filling was mashed bananas , which then had an adult addition of either a drop of rum or brandy. Ah wish I could press a button and be sitting down there with a decent coffee and may be a little creme caramel or some delicious cake that I shouldnt be eating! Enjoy your day

SeasideGir1 Thu 20-Jan-22 20:10:15

As a Newbie to Gransnet, I would be so grateful if there was a list of abbreviations and their meanings somewhere… or maybe there is!! Bbfn!
I’ve got as far as assuming GC = grandchildren ?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks x

Marydoll Thu 20-Jan-22 20:49:02

SeasideGir1, just go to the top of the page, left hand side, under the Active heading and click on Acronyms. All will be revealed!

Welcome!