Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 20th January 2022

(65 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 20-Jan-22 05:57:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark. cold and dry start here in brackley this morning .
I am having problems with my dressing as its coming apart, I am not having stiches removed until next week .
I lan to do my usual trip to Bicester regardless.
Take Care,
Mick

baubles Thu 20-Jan-22 08:05:19

What an awkward situation for you all Marydoll. You poor DiL must be walking on eggshells.

Grandmajean Thu 20-Jan-22 08:08:36

Morning all.
Welcome Townmouse I love your name.
Scentia I remember reading many years ago that nearly everyone wears 20 er cent of their clothes 80 per cent of the time.
Enjoyed Matt again Urms

Grannyme6 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:10:20

Morning all and especially the Essex Grans. Gingster when I go to Chelmsford I usually take a break in the coffee shop in Waterstone’s. Or if I’m meeting up with a friend, the Tiptree Tea Room in Bond Street is rather nice.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Grannyme6 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:12:32

Gingster and Sar Meant to say I agree the little place near Lakeland is also good.

AGAA4 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:13:15

Good morning. It's almost light now here in North Wales so need to crack on.

I met a very friendly dog on my walk yesterday. He jumped up several times covering me in muddy paw marks. Trousers and coat were straight into the washing machine when I got home. I forgave him as he was very cute but not quite as happy with the owner.

Welcome to townmouse.

Hope everyone has a pleasant day and hope all with illness or worries find some ☀️

Grandmabatty Thu 20-Jan-22 08:21:32

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently -2° and frosty. Thank goodness I don't have to go anywhere. Mick how annoying for you. Definitely phone the nurse for advice as others have said. Welcome to Townhouse. Moving house can be so difficult, can't it? Baubles I nearly did the same! I, too, made a huge pot of bolognaise sauce yesterday as I had mince that needed using. Fortunately I had put it on very low so two and a half hours cooking didn't hurt it. I did, however, leave my electric fire light on all night. Dozy me. Marydoll you are very fortunate in getting hold of an electrician. They're like hen's teeth near me. I want to organise smoke and heat alarms to fall into line with the new regulations in Scotland, but it's very difficult to track an electrician down! I think that it is lovely that Ash and Brook met up. I have a mental picture of how people look and it's probably nothing like the real person at all.
Yesterday I visited mum who was sleeping so a wasted journey. I then nipped into dd with soup and cookies,mainly for sil. Then home to potter. Mum phoned in the afternoon to say that she was sorry she hadn't been up. She suffers from SAD syndrome and is always worse in January. The family have learned to accept that. Today I'm going nowhere so I will potter and do some tidying. The spare room wardrobe is still waiting. Have a good day all.

Alizarin Thu 20-Jan-22 08:24:19

Good morning from south Cornwall where it's mild and damp. A good beachcomb yesterday, came home with a pocketful of old china bits. Haircut today plus more painting. Thinking of all with worries about loved ones.

harrigran Thu 20-Jan-22 08:25:01

Good morning from a dry but cool NE.
Yesterday SIL came to take me shopping and he was clearly unwell, we did the shopping but he refused anything to eat and drink. I told him to go home and rest. He does not have covid, as he does tests all the time.
We have all been under immense stress for the last year and DD is having investigations for a worrying problem so I am not surprised SIL is suffering too.
DS is coming for the day, we usually have a game of Scrabble, he likes to keep my brain active.
GDs will visit after school, always a delight.
More paperwork completed yesterday, what a marathon. I am sure DH thought he was organised but it has still been hard work.
Take care.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:27:11

Morning Mick and all

Sar53 another vote for the coffee shop upstairs in Waterstones, along with the Tiptree shop in Bond Street, we also like the coffee shop on 2nd floor in John Lewis it is very light and airy.

Hello Grannyme6 and townmouse nice to see you

The sky looks blue outside my bedroom window, I am bed bound for the next hour as I have put on a pair of exfoliating bootees I have had a word with myself and hope to stir my stumps…

I must attack Mt. Everest of ironing today if back allows.

Keep safe and well folks ??‍♀️

Chrissielou Thu 20-Jan-22 08:27:30

A beautiful frosty bright morning in Oxfordshire. Very little to share with you today, DD is enjoying a rare few days with no hospital appointments and pain under control. I know there are other DDs and DiL who are struggling with health problems, I send you and them a big hug. Wishing you all a happy, stress free Thursday!

Marydoll Thu 20-Jan-22 08:32:45

A warm welcome to townmouse.

Grandamabatty, I did have an advantage, concerning the electrician. His aunt is a close friend, I know his parents and he and half of his staff, were taught by my scary teacher SIL.
How could he refuse?.?

Jaxjacky Thu 20-Jan-22 08:33:34

Good morning all from a very frosty S Hants, welcome townmouse.
Two drives today and someone coming to replace the tracking on the l. room blind under guarantee.
Imogen is still fine, daughter and grandson still neg.
Wishing all poorly some improvement, including all AC’s, have a good day all ??.

Anniebach Thu 20-Jan-22 08:35:53

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Lins1066 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:37:06

Good.morning Mick and all from a bright corner of the S Welsh coast.
Thank you for thinking of us Susan and Beauregard I will let you know about the baby when I can, on Saturday probably.
Welcome townmouse and best wishes in your new home.
Hope your DH's appointment goes well Pant.
Best wishes to all who are struggling, whatever the reason.

Grannyme6 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:37:55

Welcome to townmouse.

NannyJan53 Thu 20-Jan-22 08:40:21

Good morning from a very frosty Black Country with a bright blue sky.

Sad, but expected phone call last night from my cousin informing that her Dad had died. He and my Aunt (Mums sister) had been together since she was 14!

Popping over to DD's later to let the dog out for an hour, as the lady who they pay cannot do it today. Then picking up 10 year old DGD from school, as she is staying behind and will miss the coach, and SIL is working away. So I may just take Mum for lunch whilst over that way grin

Welcome townmouse I hope your move goes smoothly. I live in a town, and find it handy that all the services are a short walk away, especially the bus and train station.

How lovely that Ash and brook were able to meet.

Wishing you all a good day, with special thoughts to all with worries about DD's and DS's health. Gilly if you are reading, you are missed x

Mapleleaf Thu 20-Jan-22 08:42:09

Good morning everyone,
A cloudier start to the day today and no frost, but still very cold.
Pilates for me this morning, then I’m not sure what’s on the agenda.
Welcome to townmouse and all newcomers. Moving house is pretty stressful, but it’s an exciting new chapter in your life. Having doubts is natural, but I’m sure everything will be fine ?.

Alygran Thu 20-Jan-22 08:51:49

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Dry and bright today and no frost.
I had a lovely day in York, meeting StepGD for lunch. We ate in a cafe within an antiques centre just near the minster. After lunch we had a good browse. So many fascinating bits and pieces. It’s a good job I’m not a collector.
Today it’s off to the coast to meet a friend, have a (short) walk and fish and chip lunch.
Sending a virtual hug to everyone with a poorly GC, DD or DIL or who could do with one today.
Take care everyone.

Pittcity Thu 20-Jan-22 08:59:25

Good morning from frosty bright Colchester. It's just starting to cloud over and there's a little bit of rain in the forecast.
Housework and shopping day today. A bit more work on decorating the second bedroom too.
Love to all ?x

Nannytopsy Thu 20-Jan-22 09:06:35

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s damp on the ground and grey this morning. It was frosty yesterday evening but it has warmed slightly overnight.
Kitty I think of lists as aspirational, so there isn’t any disappointment if they are not finished. Glad you got your electrical jobs done Marydoll. You have reminded me to get on with finding someone.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

BlueSapphire Thu 20-Jan-22 09:17:00

Good morning everyone from a very frosty and bright Northampton. Awaiting a Sainsbury's delivery, but will have time to shower and dress first. Towels are in the washing machine. Then ballet class after lunch, and a new book to start when I get back. (Yes, I finished my detective thriller yesterday, only took me three days to read!).

Enjoyed Greg Wallace's progamme last night about Doc Martin's shoes, made in our lovely Northants just a couple of miles from where DD lives. I rememher she had a pair of their boots when she was a teenager. Still a centre for quality shoe-making here in the county, such as Church's, Barkers, Cheaneys etc.

Thinking of those with worries and cares.

GrannySomerset Thu 20-Jan-22 09:17:32

Waiting for the hairdresser and then a walk to the post office - so many things need proof of posting at the moment , but I am making progress. Session with the funeral director this afternoon and a zoom meeting with AC this evening to firm things up. We have at last got a date - 18 February! - so can get on with things.

Lovely morning here which does lift the spirits. Trying hard to stay positive but it isn’t easy.

GrannyOwl5 Thu 20-Jan-22 09:21:05

Good morning everyone from a sunny but chilly north Kent coast.

Meeting up with a friend for coffee; always good to visit friends and catch up on any gossip. The only downside about meeting up today is that as DH is golfing I have an empty which I can’t take advantage of ?

Hope the covid warriors are all doing well. DD and family are now all back out in the wide world having recovered well.

Welcome Townmouse hope your move goes well; an exciting new chapter about to start for you.

Hope those with illnesses and troubles have a better day. Take care everyone

aggie Thu 20-Jan-22 09:29:30

Good morning, it’s a nothing kind of a day here , dull , still but not actually raining! I see SIL with a bucket of soapy water to wash the car , I think it’s a waste of time this time of year , but you do have to keep the lights and number plates clear .
flowers GrannySomerset

MayBeMaw Thu 20-Jan-22 10:00:29

Good morning all from sunny but chilly N Bucks.
Sorry your ear dressing is giving you trouble Mick - however do you keep your glasses on?
I have been going through a phase of things giving up the ghost on me which has been very depressing. Why my domestic appliances should upset me I don’t understand, but I find it hard to not feel “let down”. It’s not as if Paw was either competent or inclined to fix things but his presence was reassuring and he would be suitably impressed if I ever did and make me a cuppa to celebrate.
So this time round it was a “blown” pane in a spare bedroom window (replacement booked for next week), a radiator valve in the same bedroom which is permanently OFF no matter how much I twiddle or thump it and then two weeks ago the solar panels stopped generating. I have a boiler contract which covers all aspects of the CH so I am leaving the radiator valve issue with them and “miraculously” the solar panels have sprung back to life in the recent sunny days. I think I must just have hit a succession of very dark January days and was at home to notice.
I know these are First World problems but I do find it hard to stay philosophical without Paw’s reassuring presence.
On the plus side, the car passed its MOT and the Covid warriors ( eldest and middle D ) are gradually beginning to be on the mend. They are both extremely fit and health conscious women in their early/mid 40’s so I think they and I were surprised at how poorly they felt - it’s not necessarily “just a bad cold”
Thoughts to all of you with worries or health issues, whether your own or others in your family and with sincere hopes that today will be kind to you.