Gransnet forums

Chat

Alternative to cup of tea = hot chocolate with whipped cream

(50 Posts)
Serendipity22 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:01:06

Picture the scene......

There I am in bed, 1 eye shut, 1 eye open, mind focused on lovely cup of tea. Down the stairs I go, kettle on, mug retrieved from cupboard, tea bag retrieved from its container, open the fridge door for the milk ?!?!?!?!?!?! NO MILK ... damn, blast and flippin heck.

My brain suddenly and miraculously conjures up an alternative.......

I put the tea bag back from whence it came and grab the container labeled HOT CHOCOLATE then for the second time my brain miraculously reminds me that lurking somewhere in the fridge is a can of squirty cream.

Hot chocolate made, lashing of squirty cream piled on top.... da-daaaa my alternative to a refreshing morning cuppa.

So, my question is, what has been your alternative to whatever ??????

muse Fri 21-Jan-22 19:29:26

Same here Kali2.
Good to see another Rooïbosch drinker. Found an Earl Grey one last year. TickTock.

Only exception I make is a strong black coffee but leave a good gap at the top for a hefty Baileys.

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:41:53

Been a Rooïbosch fan for a longtime- yes Earl grey mix is great, got a vanilla one too. We have a Christmas spice one once I loved, but just can't find it anymore.

PamelaJ1 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:05:12

How do you make hot chocolate without milk?

mokryna Fri 21-Jan-22 20:16:16

PamelaJ1

How do you make hot chocolate without milk?

Easy just add hot water. I like strong tasting drinks.
I have to wait an hour after I take my medicine in the morning, as soon as the time is up a big mug of black coffee, followed by a second.

Beswitched Fri 21-Jan-22 20:41:02

Camomile tea. Doesn't need milk.
Drinking chocolate is a milky drink to me. Not the same made with water.

Pittcity Fri 21-Jan-22 21:49:03

I have instant lemon tea as an alternative.

vegansrock Sat 22-Jan-22 06:08:53

Lemon tea, mint tea, lemon and ginger tea , green tea, jasmine tea , any number of herbal teas - all delicious, healthy, zero calories , and require no milk of any description.

BigBertha1 Sat 22-Jan-22 06:22:50

Now I love chocolate in all forms other than drinking chocolate and seeing marshmallows on it makes me quite nauseous. So it's green tea with lemon for me first thing then a cafeteria of strong black coffee for breakfast. So healthy flush the kidneys then a big unhealthy burst of caffeine. We only have long life skimmed milk DH prefers it and I rarely use it.

Peartree Sat 22-Jan-22 06:34:48

I always have a tin of skimmed evap milk in the cupboard always handy for tea or coffee if no milk. But I always buy BoB which last for ages and tastes nice.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 22-Jan-22 08:55:09

What is BoB?

Serendipity22 Sat 22-Jan-22 09:02:13

As ive said in my other thread ( hair products ) i have woken up to lots of help..... THANK YOU....

I dont know whats wrong with me because i have a lemon so could have had hot water with slice lemon in it, tut, tut honestly !!!!!

Anyway, as i said before ....lessons have been learnt ( at my age they should have been LEARNT before .... im not a teenager for goodness sake haha )

smilesmilesmile

henetha Sat 22-Jan-22 10:50:29

I love hot chocolate and have gone off coffee for some reason.
But I'm back to 'sensible' eating now, after the indulgences at Christmas, so no cream or marshmallows on top for me now.
I don't run out of milk because I always keep several cartons of long life skimmed, in case I can't go out.

Peartree Sat 22-Jan-22 10:50:38

BoB is skimmed milk that tastes like semi skimmed it has a long used by date and comes in 4 pint bottles. Asda usually runs out of it quite quickly so I buy 8 pints and it last for ages.

ayse Sat 22-Jan-22 10:55:01

I’m a convert to oat milk in drinking chocolate as it produces a creamy and tasty drink. It’s especially good on cold days and a treat when I’m out. Other than that I’m not buying it for use at home as I don’t have drinking chocolate.

Ali08 Sat 22-Jan-22 11:05:07

Oooh yummy. Hot chocolate, squirty cream, and marshmallows on top is a firm favourite with my daughter, grandchildren and myself!
Speaking of bunged up arteries/cholesterol, tho, yesterday I found out I have an underactive thyroid (great, fantastic, more flipping pills and regular blood tests blah, blah, blah) BUT my cholesterol is just 5.2 and that may be because of the thyroid and the fact I already have Barratts Oesophagus and wotnot!
Years ago, my siblings told me to get mine checked as theirs was bad, and much to their absolute disgust, mine was fine!! ??

JackyB Sun 23-Jan-22 11:33:15

I have taken to allowing myself a hot chocolate a about 5.30 in the afternoon, especially if we have been out for a walk. I found some mini marshmallows in the supermarket and now I'm thinking of getting one of those mini blow torches to toast the marshmallows. Amazing how these ideas blossom and grow into huge, expensive, indulgent projects.

Serendipity22 Sun 23-Jan-22 12:00:22

Ooooo flippin heck JackyB ...A BLOW TORCH ! hahaha ( im joking, i know what you mean )

Yeah, go for it why not !

cafe ( thats a hot chocolate not a coffee and there is no blow torch sorrrry.

EllanVannin Sun 23-Jan-22 12:19:32

I've always kept a couple of small tins of evap in the cupboard " just in case ".

Serendipity22 Sun 23-Jan-22 13:08:04

I have purchased a carton of long life milk ( use by June )

I am so cross with myself for getting into that pickle BUT lessons have been learnt.... well, the word cross is a bit strong, ive been on this planet long enough to realise a back up is the perfect solution...
Grrrrrrrr.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Jan-22 13:12:43

I love a nice strong coffee with squirty cream, and grandson likes hot choc with it. smile

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 23-Jan-22 18:38:11

Well I’m still in Crewe, lovely fireman took me home to dry out, all his house needed was a wood burning stove……might stay until Spring.
Hope the party went/is going well.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 23-Jan-22 18:38:52

Oops ………wrong thread.

Serendipity22 Sun 23-Jan-22 18:46:18

CanadianGran 1st class idea flowers.
I actually bought myself bottle of Baileys yesterday hahahaha, i was jaded at the fact i stood in front of 1,000000000 bottle of shampoo absolutely flummoxed at which to buy that i thought *bugger it, im getting a bottle of Baileys hahaha SO I DID....

sodapop Sun 23-Jan-22 18:54:11

Good choice Serendipity I like a woman who has her priorities right. grin