Gransnet forums

Chat

Turning 60 soon, where did the years go?

(32 Posts)
Leonora2 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:31:39

Hi everyone
Well it's nearly the big 60....
I'm feeling a little bit down and depressed for no other reason than it seems like another nail in the coffin and time is running out.
I accept that there may be many years ahead (Here's hoping) but old age is definitely looming and I'm mourning the younger thinner me and reminiscing far more than I think is healthy.
I have a good job, I am financially secure, reasonably anyway, with lovely grown up children and in a good relationship. I'm very grateful to be here, there's many that never make it to this age but would love words of wisdom from older ladies on how to embrace this new era and not feel quite so much dread.

Chestnut Fri 21-Jan-22 14:37:43

I'm sure those of us 70, 80 or over would love to be 60 again! I found my 60s were great, better than my 50s. I guess it just depends where you are and what you're doing. Just make the most of it, take up a new hobby, activity or challenge. Travel if you want to. Just don't stagnate.

MerylStreep Fri 21-Jan-22 14:54:30

Coming up to 60 we had just finished a 4 yr renovation on an old property. Sold that and moved abroad to a country outside the eu No safety net for us ?
After 5 years bought a motohome and travelled to every country in Europe. Once ventured into moldover.
Winters spent in Spain.
Made 2 long boat trips bringing boats back to uk from the south of France.
Still get in some sailing when in Spain.
Only yesterday a friend called round to ask OH if he would be interested in saying a boat back from Spain through the Bay of Biscay, he’s 73 and still races at Santa Pod.
I certainly won’t be doing that one, one awful trip done me in that sea ?
I would suggest you forget your age and concentrate on what you would really like to do.

MayBee70 Fri 21-Jan-22 15:16:21

I would give anything to be 60 again. I’m not liking 70 at all.

Hetty58 Fri 21-Jan-22 15:30:51

Time speeds up as you age - so, if there's anything you want to do 'one day' - make plans to do it soon!

Ilovecheese Fri 21-Jan-22 15:41:28

I am enjoying my sisxties immensely. You are still fit yet have less responsibilities. You might find there are still a few financial perks as well, depending on where you live. I know that may not mean much but any little thing to cheer you up should help.
You could use your age to say to yourself "I am not going to agree to anything that I don't want to do any more"

rafichagran Sat 22-Jan-22 12:00:50

I remember my 60th, the last 4 years have gone past very quickly.
I am ok, at 66 I will qualify for a state pension I also have a occupational one and I work 3 days a week. I am not thinking of my age anymore I just want to enjoy my life. You said you are financially secure, just enjoy your life and dont fret about it, we are all going to age.

NanaPlenty Sat 22-Jan-22 12:06:40

I’m in my sixties - you need to do all the things you’ve maybe fancied and never got round to. Also I volunteer looking after pregnant mums and babies - that keeps me in touch with all sorts of age groups and you feel it’s just a number when you are busy. I am aware of the passing of time, just not so much when I’m busy and enjoying life. xx

loopyloo Sat 22-Jan-22 12:07:57

Look after yourself. Get to a good weight and exercise. And look after your teeth as Pam Ayres says.
Wish I'd done that!

GagaJo Sat 22-Jan-22 12:25:48

I'm almost there too and feel at a very weird juncture in my life. My mother has probably only a few months left to live and that is making me reflect on those memories. In addition, I'm looking forward, to how I'm going to be able to continue to work way past usual retirement age. Also how much longer I think I'll be around for my DGS.

It feels like a real stage of transition, which to be fair, I suppose it is. I'm not adverse to change though, so I suppose I'm lucky in that respect.

I don't really mourn the younger me. I was much more frivolous and I like the more sensible me now.

diygran Sat 22-Jan-22 12:48:29

I have reached 70 and not looking forward to whatever time is left.
A lot of friends are in declining health, some due to obesity or smoking. So advice is to definitely try to keep to a healthy lifestyle.
I enjoyed most of my 60s tho parents and many family passed away. It reminds you life is short - 'it's not the years in your life, but the life in your years!' Enjoy!

ginny Sat 22-Jan-22 13:03:28

You seem to be in a good position financially and have a happy life . Embrace it and enjoy. Age is a number.

We don’t stop playing because we get old,
We get old because we stop playing.

LtEve Sat 22-Jan-22 13:56:59

I've been feeling like this recently. I think it's to do with being in the no mans land of not yet retired but wanting to be and feeling invisible. My Mother died at 78 and was 'old' for a good 15 years before that and I really don't want to follow in her footsteps in that respect.
It doesn't help that I've hated the last two years with all the restrictions etc and feel like I've fallen into a rut of work and home without any of my pre pandemic happy things like holidays etc.
Hopefully now things are becoming more positive I can pull myself together and plan for fun in the future.

OmaLoocie Sat 22-Jan-22 14:06:34

In my late 50s I was in denial about getting older but then turned 60 and looked it straight in the face. I don't like getting older. I look at old photographs of myself and wonder what the hell happened. It doesn’t help that The Husband has now retired but is struggling with health problems so it's very unlikely that we'll be able to do the things we used to talk about doing when we got older, and especially once we both retired. In those days, however, the retirement age was 6 years younger! Ironically, I'm thankful I am still working because at the moment I feel that's the only thing keeping me sane. However, I do know it could be worse and try to count my blessings - it's just that on some days that's more challenging than others! ?

Pepper59 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:02:02

There's not much you can do about it, so why worry? We all get older and for myself coming from a family where many of my relatives died in their 40s and one or two younger than that, I feel grateful to be getting older. Sadly, the Pandemic has knocked much of my plans on the head, but Ive begun to accept this is my life and this is how it is.

Redhead56 Sat 22-Jan-22 15:16:29

We worked on our family business until just three years ago. I don't feel mentally old at all still having a sharp mind. But physically osteoarthritis is a hindrance it slows me down but have to live with it. People say I haven't changed apart from my colouring I don't worry about wrinkles etc that's natural.
I have a work related pensions since I was sixty due state pension this year. We are fortunate to have no money worries which makes life easier. We enjoy our family life and our friendships and I am glad we are getting back to life after Covid.

Leonora2 Sun 23-Jan-22 04:28:59

Its so interesting seeing all the different ways everyone is dealing with the inevitable ageing. I think because I lost both parents at a fairly youngish age and a husband a few years back so have become the oldest person in the immediate family and the fact that I can't retire until I'm 67 possibly adds to the anguish. Also where I live there's been so many deaths of people in their 60s. Very depressing sad

FannyCornforth Sun 23-Jan-22 05:25:15

Where do you live Leonora, if you don’t mind me asking?
I can understand now why you are upset if you have recently lost your husband thanks
My mom died when she was just 50, which is the age I became this week, and it definitely makes you a bit reflective

karmalady Sun 23-Jan-22 06:09:26

Plenty to look forward to, especially with a partner, with whom to enjoy holidays and days out. By 70 life may have completely changed so don`t be dwelling on nearing 60 and take a day at a time.

Ravelling Sun 23-Jan-22 06:28:44

This has been just the thread for me to find today as there are lots of positive perspectives here.
I’ve been feeling just like this for a while now. I’m 59 and DH is 68 and I have had a period of crisis about the end looming. I think it’s because my parents died at 60 and 61. Also, our beloved dog is dying which is just another straw on the pile. I’ve been feeling invisible and have developed a bit of a ‘what’s the point?’ mindset. Not suicidal. Just not putting the effort into myself that I used to.
I’m tackling this by getting a bit more exercise and eating better. (I’m not going to call it a diet, I need to be kinder to myself.) Im trying to get a bit more daylight - as I work from home now and spend hours sitting at my laptop in the dining room. I’m also experimenting with a new set of facial product - not expecting any miracles, but they’re different so that’s a change - and a collagen supplement.
It’s been a long winter and the pandemic combined with almost being 60 has been the perfect storm for me. I’m looking forward to getting out in the garden, going on a few road trips and seeing a bit of daylight.

BigBertha1 Sun 23-Jan-22 07:00:44

leonora2 I'm not much help. 69 next month I feel just like you. Several health problems now and my joie de vivre has gone...that's probably spelt wrong but the pendants will find it.

HettyBetty Sun 23-Jan-22 08:01:41

Not far off 60 here. I've always been fit and active but after a recent health scare I am determined to give my body its very best chance. So, a very healthy diet and lots of exercise. I am treating it like a job.

I run a business which I love, have a brilliant DH, wonderful adult DC and a good circle of friends. Life is actually fine.

Anyone remember the old Clarks advert, "Act your shoe size, not your age" ?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 23-Jan-22 09:01:27

I preferred being almost 60 to this year when I am almost 70.

We had lots of things planned for when MrOops retired when he was 70, sadly we’ve spent those years being cooped up because of the pandemic and ill health and the ‘ill health’ didn’t start until I was in my 60’s.

So, don’t put things off until you retire, do it now.

And smile - while you’ve still got your teeth.

Shinamae Sun 23-Jan-22 09:10:33

I’m 69 next month and not dreading it but just thinking time is running out.My brother died of cancer at 49 so I am grateful to still be here as old age is a privilege denied to many..

silverlining48 Sun 23-Jan-22 09:22:25

That is quite profound Shin
Old age is a privilege denied to many. Thank you ☺️ .