Gransnet forums

Chat

Turning 60 soon, where did the years go?

(33 Posts)
Leonora2 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:31:39

Hi everyone
Well it's nearly the big 60....
I'm feeling a little bit down and depressed for no other reason than it seems like another nail in the coffin and time is running out.
I accept that there may be many years ahead (Here's hoping) but old age is definitely looming and I'm mourning the younger thinner me and reminiscing far more than I think is healthy.
I have a good job, I am financially secure, reasonably anyway, with lovely grown up children and in a good relationship. I'm very grateful to be here, there's many that never make it to this age but would love words of wisdom from older ladies on how to embrace this new era and not feel quite so much dread.

FannyCornforth Sun 23-Jan-22 09:45:53

Yes, that’s exactly how I feel too Shinamae

My mom dying aged 50 has coloured my entire philosophy on life. I don’t see anything as a right.
Everything is a bonus.

My step son (DH’s eldest) died aged 50 a few years ago too.
That was extremely tough.

(DH’s children are all a few years older than me!)

V3ra Sun 23-Jan-22 10:00:29

We've had the opposite experience with family members dying: as a couple we're both 65 this year, we've lost a parent each at 86 and 90 and still have the other two at 91 and 94.

So we have to tell ourselves that while we too may have many years left still, it's not a given and we need to crack on enjoying ourselves now, especially while we're both fit and well (for which we are truly grateful).

Well that's my excuse for booking holidays this year ?

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 23-Jan-22 10:03:46

Leonora you post certainly struck a chord with me!
I turned 60 last November and initially didnt feel to bad about it. I didnt want a fuss but my daughters organised a lovely surprise party which made me feel so valued and happy.
Since then I've not been so sure.!
Last year there was the realisation that I have reached the top of the family pile with cousins also sadly dying.
I got divorced in 1995 and worked P/T until a year ago.
I worked for the council until 2014 when I left to care for my father who moved in with me. When he died in 2016 I was lucky enough to be able to pay off my mortgage and have a nest egg. I did the travelling I had never been able to and dont regret a single moment or penny spent.
I got a part time job in a care home as a 1.1 worker which I loved,no management responsibility and paid the bills. That ended in March 20 due to Covid in the care home and being clinically vulnerable.
Nearly all my savings were spent in 2020 but I viewed it as the proverbial rainy day.
In January 2021 I started working with the Civil Service. It was initially a years contract but has been extended until June 2022. We expect to hear any week now whether we will be made permenant.
It's a demanding job,which on the whole I really enjoy and am good at and my team leaders are incredibly positive about how I'm performing. Of course I expect the decision is final and from higher up.
It's a strange position to be in. I am so aware that before the rise in pension age I would now be retired.
For nearly 3 decades I had the perfect work life balance. I have many crafts and hobbies that I love and have limited time to do. I dont have the same energy levels I had in my 30s. I am just so darn tired!
I dont really know what's worse if they make my contract permanent or dont. If they do it would be foolish to turn down a secure,quite well paid job with good terms and conditions. Maybe next year I could drop a day.!
If the contract ends I'm back in the job market! I am qualified post graduate and have tons of experience in all sorts of areas. Along with many people my age we just want an interesting job that wont leave us exhausted and will be a positive way to spend the next 7 years?.
There is a small part of me that would be relieved if contract not extended,I want my life back. I also need an income!
I realise I'm luckier than many. My home is my own and ihave wonderful friends and family.
I do think I am having an existential crisis. It ranges from little reminders such as moving up a box in age groups and realising i qualify to buy over 60s national express card!
More seriously a few weeks ago my youngest daughter and i were discussing how quickly the two decades had passed since the millennium. It was a definitely unpleasant moment when i considered how quickly the next 20 years may pass and what may lie ahead.
There are no guarantees in life.
Normally things work out fine.
For me currently life at 60 just feels rather unnerving. I'm single and dont expect that to change but financially it can be harder. Throw in a global pandemic and maybe it's okay to feel a bit wobbly!

travelsafar Sun 23-Jan-22 10:05:06

Make the most of your life while you can. You have finances and good health and that counts for a lot. The next 10 years will pass by in a flash.

FannyCornforth Sun 23-Jan-22 10:10:20

travelsafar it’s good to see you posting thanks
I was only thinking of you recently. I hope that you’re doing okay

halfpint1 Sun 23-Jan-22 10:12:01

I felt a bit dispondent at the start of my 60's but tweaked my health, diet, exercise, lifestyle (gave up alcohol)
and at 68 am still running my own business and feeling good. The last 2years have had their moments on me mentally but I've plodded on as many of us do. My 60's are turning out to be memorable

silverlining48 Sun 23-Jan-22 11:15:29

Now in my 70s I realise what a good decade my 60s were. Still fit no health problems to stop me doing anything I wanted to do.
Travelling further afield for the first time was exciting and hoped to carry travel on but arthritis and Covid have halted that fir now, so embrace and enjoy your 60s, they will be better than you think.