Gransnet forums

Chat

How many of you are happy to haggle ?

(32 Posts)
hazel93 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:53:23

DH tells me I am so embarassing when trying to get the best deal, DS thinks I have taught him well, DIL loves shopping with me when large items are on the list.
So, do you or don't you ?

Katek Fri 28-Jan-22 19:48:10

DH is a champion haggler - even haggled with the traders in the souk in Tangier and those guys are experts! He has absolutely no hesitation in haggling or asking for discounts, I tend to try and melt into the background, it’s alien to me.

Calendargirl Fri 28-Jan-22 20:46:11

I bought 5 holly wreaths before Christmas to put on various family graves, from a market stall. I never usually say anything, but suddenly found myself asking what he would knock off because I was having 5. He discounted me £3!

I was quite chuffed with myself.

Witzend Fri 28-Jan-22 21:29:21

I wouldn’t, or I’d be very unlikely to as a general rule. I have a bit of a horror of it, particularly ever since dh’s super-miserly old aunt once argued the toss over 12p off a £12 odd bill in a small wool shop. The poor assistant kept saying she couldn’t, it wasn’t her shop.
So bloody tight and embarrassing - she wasn’t remotely hard up.

Daisymae Fri 28-Jan-22 21:39:44

I was buying some furniture and the salesman was writing out the order. I piped up 'do I get a discount?' and he said yes as quick as a flash and took off 10 percent. Seems daft not to ask.

Georgesgran Fri 28-Jan-22 22:20:42

I don’t consider trading a car in and not being happy with the offer is ‘true’ haggling. It’s really expected (in my opinion) as it’s such a big purchase. In the past, I’ve walked away from the sale and been contacted a few days later with a better offer.
Many years ago my cousin tried to haggle over the price of a cooker in Bainbridges (Newcastle’s John Lewis). He and his wife were asked to leave!

GG65 Fri 28-Jan-22 22:24:19

Katek

DH is a champion haggler - even haggled with the traders in the souk in Tangier and those guys are experts! He has absolutely no hesitation in haggling or asking for discounts, I tend to try and melt into the background, it’s alien to me.

I think we may be married to the same man!

If I want something, I just pay whatever the price is. It wouldn’t occur to me to do anything different.