Gransnet forums

Chat

Panorama. The Dairy Industry

(106 Posts)
Sloegin Tue 15-Feb-22 23:16:19

Did anyone watchthe Panorama programme about dairy cows last night? It was deeply distressing and has seriously prompted me to become a vegan. I'm a farmer's daughter and, when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, it was all on a much smaller scale and I never witnessed such cruelty towards animals. Cows were milked twice a day and I'm pretty sure the calves weren't separated from the mothers so early. I become a vegetarian in the 80s as I disapproved of intensive farming but still ate dairy. I have been using organic milk in the hope that the cows are better treated. Milk is just too cheap. People have been willing to pay little more for free range eggs when they realised that caging hens was cruel so I would hope that people would pay more for milk if welfare standards were higher. Cheap food generally means a vulnerable person or animal is paying the price.

CoolCoco Mon 21-Feb-22 13:33:29

Just read a horrific article about dairy cows - they are artificially impregnated from 1-2 years of age in a contraption some farmers call "rape racks". Their calves are removed and they are milked and impreganted continuously till they are exhausted at about 3- 6 years of age ( normal life span would be 20 years) then sent for slaughter. Male calves are often killed at birth, females destined for the same exploitation as their mother. Dairy cows are not stupid creatures - they can communicate by touch , smell, vocalisations and body language.

JillyJosie2 Mon 21-Feb-22 15:18:49

Really sad CoolCoco, I have read something similar. I have talked to people who live near dairy farms who have told me that they couldn't cope with the sad calling of the cows for their calves after they were taken away. They call for 24 hours. Cows aren't stupid, I agree, and being mammals they have the same instinctual and emotional responses as us. So sad to think of their lives.

choughdancer Mon 21-Feb-22 20:40:01

Well said CoolCoco an JillyJosie2. Even organic dairy farms are far from ideal. For me the only option was to become vegan, which I did 7 or 8 years ago. I was a huge lover of cheese and butter and expected to find the process very hard. In fact it was easy, and I've discovered so much yummy food I can eat! I've put on weight rather than losing it! Salted caramel chocolate tart anyone?

Chestnut Fri 25-Feb-22 17:37:55

I tried oat milk today but really can't manage oat-flavoured tea. Yuk!

What about goats' milk, does anyone know about that? It is supposed to be highly beneficial for my blood group.

Chestnut Sat 26-Feb-22 09:55:31

Well, as no-one has roundly condemned goat milk I'm going to assume it's okay and will try that.