Gransnet forums

Chat

New Sky Glass TV system

(28 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Apr-22 12:53:57

Just wondering if any of our GN friends have the new Sky Glass, we have had it for about 6-8 weeks and I really do not like it one little bit. I find it odd that the TV turns on when you enter a room and then turns off if you are too still whilst watching it.

DH is persevering as he loathes to be beaten by any technology

OakDryad Mon 25-Apr-22 13:17:53

I don't have Sky Glass but Sky Help says:

Auto-standby mode

If there’s no movement detected for one hour, your Sky Glass TV will automatically go into standby mode. You can dismiss this if you want to keep watching by picking up your remote or using voice control.

Ths is accompanied by a screen shot which shows the Setting for Auto Standby Using Motion is ON. Try setting that to OFF.

OakDryad Mon 25-Apr-22 13:19:24

See Wake using motion to OFF too.

www.sky.com/help/articles/glance-motion-technology-sky-glass

FannyCornforth Mon 25-Apr-22 13:26:19

I’ve got one GrannyGravy
The smallest one in navy blue.
I love it ?

FannyCornforth Mon 25-Apr-22 13:27:46

It’s got an on / off button in the side.
That stops it coming on automatically ( I think )
DH isn’t keen on it either, but is getting to grips with it

FannyCornforth Mon 25-Apr-22 13:28:41

Ooh, I hadn’t noticed it switch off, but I’m never still

toscalily Mon 25-Apr-22 15:30:32

We are with Sky Broadband (reliable & good) and we had a look at the Sky Glass TV as there was a special offer on as OH loves all things Techie & new but the reviews are very poor, with many having problems. Around the same time daughter & SIL had bought one as they like to change their TV every so many years (we don't) and they do not like it at all for all sorts of reasons. Think it is something which seems good but in practice needs to be fine tuned, tweaked and brought up to a better standard before we would consider buying.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Apr-22 15:43:23

That’s how I feel toscalily , good in principle but I wish DH had waited a year until all the glitches had been sorted.

toscalily Mon 25-Apr-22 15:49:44

Probably rushed to market before all the teething problems had been dealt with.

OakDryad Tue 26-Apr-22 10:22:47

Could someone please explain what the problems and glitches are as it could help others who are considering these sets.

GG13 The issues you described are to do with controllable settings. Motion sensors can be switched off and are not a glitch.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Apr-22 10:44:15

OakDryad

Could someone please explain what the problems and glitches are as it could help others who are considering these sets.

GG13 The issues you described are to do with controllable settings. Motion sensors can be switched off and are not a glitch.

The system is clunky.

The menu is overly complicated as are the methods of pre recording.

I miss the plus one facility which is not available (or if it is I am yet to find it as it is not on the menu)

Any difference/waiver in internet signal causes intermittent buffering/loss of programme.

Above is just a précis as I am on Granny duty.

OakDryad Tue 26-Apr-22 12:20:53

I can’t comment on the menu system. Any change to something new is bound to be different and has a bit of a learning curve.

I don’t understand your comment about pre-recording as there's no ability to record on Sky Glass. My understanding is that you have a playlist and your shows will stay on the playlist for as long as the streaming service own the rights to them.

It’s important to know and understand that Sky had a different way of delivering content - by digital streaming not by satellite. The latter is more expensive. Plus one has been replaced by On Demand streaming.

It may be that your internet service is not up to the extra demands placed on it by a streaming only system. When I switched from watching TVvia SkyPlus (satellite) to Smart TV digital apps (streamed) I had to switch to a faster fibre (as opposed to old copper-wire based) broadband.

These are only some ideas about why you might be struggling to adapt. If you have switched from watching TV via SkyPlus or SkyQ to SkyGlass, it is a different delivery system. Did you understand that when you switched?

There was another thread recently about Sky Glass and what happens if you broadband is down. When Sky Glass has no broadband you can watch live TV and through the Freeview app on your TV. For this to work, you need a terrestrial TV aerial connected to the TV aerial port at the back of the Sky Glass TV.

I hope this helps.

Mollygo Tue 26-Apr-22 14:36:36

toscalily

We are with Sky Broadband (reliable & good) and we had a look at the Sky Glass TV as there was a special offer on as OH loves all things Techie & new but the reviews are very poor, with many having problems. Around the same time daughter & SIL had bought one as they like to change their TV every so many years (we don't) and they do not like it at all for all sorts of reasons. Think it is something which seems good but in practice needs to be fine tuned, tweaked and brought up to a better standard before we would consider buying.

We looked at this DH is very keen, but I have to constantly ( OK twice a week isn’t constantly, but it’s too often) reset our Sky wifi router, so my computer works, because it drops connection. If we lost the Wi-Fi signal for the television as well I’d be even more annoyed!

OakDryad Tue 26-Apr-22 16:03:48

Perhaps show your husband this Mollygo especially if you would switching from SkyQ (or SkyPlus for that matter). Ask him why he is no keen. Little point having 4K streaming if the picture quality on the set is mediocre. There are lots of very good 4K Ultra HD TVs out there. Think about what is is you watch and whether these are programmes broadcast in 4K.

www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/1414653/sky-glass-review

This explains the difference between 4K and 1080p.

www.androidauthority.com/4k-vs-1080p-1201720/

As for your dropping wifi signal, definitely have that checked anyway to find what the problem is.

Petera Tue 26-Apr-22 16:08:34

It turns on when you enter the room - really?

I'm not offering criticism, but why would you want that?

OakDryad Tue 26-Apr-22 16:35:50

Indeed, you may not want it Petera. You can switch off the motion sensors.

This is another good review.

www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/sky-glass-4k-qled-tv

In a nutshell:

Buy it if ...

You want to enjoy the Sky experience without the need for a dish.

You want a new 4K TV, but would rather pay monthly

You want a good looking all-in-one entertainment solution.

Don't buy it if...

You want leading-edge HDR picture performance.

You're a PVR hard drive recording aficionado
Having channels available in a bottomless cloud DVR is a neat idea, but relying on catch-up players for some content can prove frustrating - especially for those who want to record live sport.

Your broadband speed isn’t up to snuff.

Sky recommends a minimum of 10Mbps for HD and 25MBps for Ultra HD content. If you don’t have sufficient bandwidth the picture will periodically freeze.

(I've added the bold to the bit about sports as it may well be the sports fans who'll be disappointed with Sky Glass if they cannot keep their favourite games and matches).

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Apr-22 17:52:20

It is very easy to read/cut and paste from manuals, but actually having Sky Glass is a different kettle of fish

OakDryad Tue 26-Apr-22 18:07:29

Fine. I assume that's a dig at me for trying to help. I answered your comments about motion sensors and explained about rcording, Plus one and wifi issues. I'll leave it there.

Mollygo Tue 26-Apr-22 18:18:09

OakDryad
As for your dropping wifi signal, definitely have that checked anyway to find what the problem

Oh we have had it checked, by a Sky engineer, and 2 replacement routers because they “thought perhaps it was a problem with the router”.

We have Sky Ultrafast, and a program package DH likes. When it works, it’s fine, but now I have unwanted expertise in clicking their “check your connection” to find “it looks like you have an issue” so
“ follow our instructions to reset the box”.
and a collection of apologies from Sky.

I’m holding fast against Sky Glass for now.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Apr-22 18:31:54

Mollygo we have top of the range broadband and we still have problems.

I was not digging at anyone, just pointing out that the reality of Sky Glass is nowhere near it’s promotional information

kittylester Tue 26-Apr-22 20:32:05

We have SkyQ and kept losing signal. We have had 4 engineers visit, one new router and now have a booster installed. It seems to work.??

Mollygo Tue 26-Apr-22 20:34:36

kittylester

We have SkyQ and kept losing signal. We have had 4 engineers visit, one new router and now have a booster installed. It seems to work.??

Do you have to pay for your booster?

kittylester Tue 26-Apr-22 21:21:54

No we didn't. There was resistance from Sky though as we have mini boxes 'which act as boosters' - in theory.

dragonfly46 Tue 26-Apr-22 22:27:06

We also have SkyQ and Sky plus and find we have no problem getting an engineer out if it breaks down.
Sky broadband on the other hand we find abysmal. We have the fastest we can but it is still slow and drops out. They tell us it is because we have too many devices!
Glass would not work for us despite us getting a good deal as DD works at Sky head office.

kittylester Wed 27-Apr-22 06:16:40

Why do you think SkyGlass wouldn't work for you?

Our broadband (super fast?) is much better now we have the booster and 4 miniboxes.