Gransnet forums

Chat

Can’t Think of a Subject for a Thread…?

(131 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 11:56:27

Hello!smile

I really fancy a natter; but, unfortunately I find myself totally bereft of humorous or interesting Thread Starters.

I’ve gone blank.
No creativity whatsoever.
Not an ounce of wit.
Not a smidgen of originality.

Talk to me - please! smile

(I’m going to make a cup of tea, and when I return I hope that someone is here brew)

(Autocorrect turned smidgen into ^smug Ron^; poor old Ron, and his wife)

H1954 Sun 01-May-22 12:37:54

Good afternoon GNetters! I've had a couple of hours in the garden so I'm playing catch up now. I completely understand FC's appeal and actually, a subject matter did cur to me recently.
Back in the day, before social media and all that stuff Agony Aunts were the go to place for help and advice. Who remembers them?, who used them?, did you read the columns in the newspapers?

aggie Sun 01-May-22 12:38:10

Fanny !!!!

FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 12:39:05

Oh good heavens. I did it ?‍?

FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 12:39:28

aggie

Fanny !!!!

I’m sorry ?

FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 12:43:51

H1954 agony aunts were the best.
My friend Debbie’s parents bought The Sun, and we used to love reading Dear Deirdre.
And the photo re-enactments!
The Sun was jam packed with smut back in the day.
Oh no, it seems that I keep inadvertently going down the wrong track…

AGAA4 Sun 01-May-22 12:47:45

I will stick to the John Deere website for mini tractors for my GS. It would be so awful if I was browsing with him and something inappropriate appeared ?

aggie Sun 01-May-22 12:50:23

Suns out , I’m off to the bin , might go for a look round the garden to see what has benefitted from the rain ?

H1954 Sun 01-May-22 12:52:29

Yes! Dear Deirdre! I did often wonder if the letters were genuine to be honest.

TillyTrotter Sun 01-May-22 12:57:52

As teenage girls in the 70’s we would crowd round the Jackie magazine each week and read the Cathy and Claire Problem Page.
No smut as I remember, it was “how to get a boy you liked to ask you out” or “my friend has B.O. how can I tell her without hurting her feelings?”

FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 12:58:14

My Nan used to get all the womens magazines.
Woman, Woman’s Own, Woman’s Realm.
I read them avidly when I was around ten / eleven.
Along with Judy Blume they were my guide to all things ‘growy uppy’. Tampons and the like.
I remember the that at one point my Nan stopped buying Womam because it got a bit raunchy.

Granmarderby10 Sun 01-May-22 12:58:17

Why not take a look at my new thread Fanny!

FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 13:00:24

Jackie was fabulous.
Did you know that it was named after Jacqueline Wilson?
She was working at the magazine agency at the time, and she was a hip young thing, and everything they thought a young girl would aspire to.
They weren’t far off, were they.

toscalily Sun 01-May-22 13:02:02

crazyH Sorry to hear about your ear. I have had ear infections, once I got a real telling off from the Dr who said I had left it too long, I had hoped it would clear up but of course it did not and had to have antibiotics which has happened before so when I started to get twinges during lock down I immediately called the surgery to ask if there was anything they could suggest, spoke to a very nice Locum who told me of Earcalm for Outer Ear Infections Spray 5ml £7.49 which fortunately stopped it in its tracks. Obviously will depend on the infection but worth trying if you act quickly, especially if you don't want to immediately go down the Antibiotic route.

FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 13:02:06

Granmarderby10

Why not take a look at my new thread Fanny!

I will do that straight away.
Btw, apologies if this is a daft question (I’m feeling extremely daft today #painkillers), are you in Derby?

SueDonim Sun 01-May-22 13:04:31

Step away from the tractors, folks! grin. My son-in-law is a farmer. The news about tractors has been very concerning for us. wink

Also, hello, Fanny! My neighbour has an elderly dog and says the neighbourhood cats now bully him by sitting on their windowsill and staring at him while he’s trying to sleep. ? ?

TillyTrotter Sun 01-May-22 13:06:55

I didn’t know that Fanny.
Jacqueline Wilson is a very interesting lady and I watched a documentary about her recently. She is a Dame too.

FannyCornforth Sun 01-May-22 13:10:10

Sue yes! That’s what next door’s other cat does! Even I find it disconcerting.

Sometimes the boy cat sits on the bonnet of our car and stares at DH through the front window.
It provokes a proper Victor Meldrew response

Blossoming Sun 01-May-22 13:11:37

It’s raining here and I am browsing fashion pages looking at frocks I will never buy and shoes I am unable to wear. I like putting together imaginary look books, maybe I could have been a fashion designer if I hadn’t been obsessed with code grin

SueDonim Sun 01-May-22 13:14:34

The local cat population seems to have increased lately so there’s a lot of staring going on! It reminds me of a ditty I heard about cats. ‘^Cats are bad, cats are rude. They stare at you when you’re in the nude.^ grin

The cat next door to my daughter just comes into her house and sleeps anywhere he wants, while her own none-too-bright cat looks on, bemused.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 01-May-22 13:15:37

It’s raining here, I’ve cleaned the bathroom, bedding is washed and drying, ditto the rest of the washing.

I’m debating whether to try to clean the skirting boards under the beds…….and HOW to do it as the bed is too heavy to move and I’ve got a bad neck.

Meanwhile I’m on GN.

SueDonim Sun 01-May-22 13:15:54

And my son’s neighbour had a chicken that sat on the fence and looked into ds’s sitting room. ?

AGAA4 Sun 01-May-22 13:24:10

On holiday once we were bullied by an aggressive drake who used to bang on the door with his beak until we fed him.

Auntieflo Sun 01-May-22 13:30:06

FannyC, what a lovely thread. Just what we needed. Lots of snippets of things. No doom, gloom and despondency.
I am sitting here eating a ham, mustard and coleslaw, crusty roll, with a mug of tea, and being entertained.
Carry on please.

TillyTrotter Sun 01-May-22 13:32:18

We stayed in a French gite with a skylight window in the bedroom and magpies (or jays) banged on that at stupidly early o’clock each morning.

Blossoming Sun 01-May-22 13:33:31

Our cat used to sit in the middle of the lawn and stare at the neighbour’s Labradors while they went barmy. The neighbour would be very embarrassed. The cat had no sense of guilt or shame.