Gransnet forums

Chat

Calling parents but their first names….os it acceptable?

(113 Posts)
Sago Sun 01-May-22 14:11:55

My very lovely daughter in law calls her parents by their first names.

I have never asked her why.
They are a very traditional and loving family, no skeletons or weird stuff!

I would hate it if our children did the same, being Mum and Dad is so special and such a privilege.

Would it worry you?

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 13:05:53

I'm glad my girl called me mum.
smile
I never would,have,been,called,it in my life, if not.

Marmight Mon 02-May-22 12:39:48

My parents had friends whose (rather strange) offspring called them Win & Roger. As a child I could never quite get my head around it! I called my parents Mummy & Daddy until my late teens then they became Mum & Dad although every card until they died was signed from mummy/daddy. I have friends who still call their very aged parents Mummy/Daddy. I find it a bit strange. My DDs call me Mum or Mumma & their children call me an amalgamation of my name and Granny. Does it really matter what you’re called so long as they call you something, love you and keep in touch. As for my parents in law who I only had for 10 years before they died, I don’t remember calling them anything (polite) grin. It was very awkward. DH called them a very formal Mother & Father

LauraNorderr Mon 02-May-22 12:19:46

I’m mum to all my sons, was mummy until they were about nine or ten. Orlin is dad to all but one who has always called him pops.
Daughters-in-law use our first names. We are Gran and Grandpa to the grandchildren, other grandparents are Nanna and Grandad, Nain and Taid.
My grandparents always called each other mum and dad, if Orlin ever called me mum or mother I’d call him something unprintable.

hazel93 Mon 02-May-22 12:10:46

I don't think it matters that much, as long as the children are loved and supported who cares ?
My son went through a period in his mid teens when he would use my christian name if trying to get my attention when we were out and about. Now in his mid 30's he just yells "Mum" !

sodapop Mon 02-May-22 12:08:37

I really don't see that it matters if everyone is happy with it. Our stepchildren call us by our forenames and younger step grandchildren call us Nanny &Grandad Soda.

1summer Mon 02-May-22 11:53:47

I really don’t know why but our son (now 35) has called us by our first names since it he was about 3. I used to get upset and keep correcting him but then decided life has bigger things to worry about. Oddly in cards, texts, messages etc he refers to us as Mum or Dad. Our daughter calls us Mum and Dad.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-May-22 11:20:44

I think HowVeryDareYou has hit the nail on the head. If a parent calls their partner Mummy or Daddy then that's what the child will understand as that person. If you call your partner by their name then they will learn that instead.
Some of us just call our partners by their names.

Sago Mon 02-May-22 11:14:11

My late mother in law wanted me to call her mum, I never could bring myself to do so.
I find it totally alien to call anyone but a parent mum and dad.

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 10:55:00

Once we had children MIL was called Nan by me as well as the children. She was the only grandparent so no mistaking.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 10:48:31

smile

timetogo2016 Mon 02-May-22 10:47:59

Outlaws MissA.
I`m mom or ma to my son`s.

henetha Mon 02-May-22 10:41:47

My first m.i.l. I called Mum. I didn't have a f.i.l.
Second in laws I called by their first names.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 10:33:14

What did or do you call your in laws?

JaneJudge Mon 02-May-22 10:32:55

HowVeryDareYou

My sons always called my husband (their dad) by his first name, up until they were in their late teens. It was probably because that's what they heard me say a lot. My mum thought it was terrible grin. She didn't like me not wearing my wedding ring, either. I haven't worn it for 39 years (I was 9st when I married, never been that weight since sad)

you can have gold added to it to make it bigger smile it may be thick enough to stretch?

I realise this is a 4 decades old problem grin

BlueSapphire Mon 02-May-22 10:30:42

DD and DS call me mum, but their partners call me by my first name, which I don't mind. Would never have dared call my parents and in laws by their names!

AussieNanna Mon 02-May-22 09:39:07

if it is acceptable to the people concerned then it is acceptable.

My kids call me Mum - but anyone else can call their parents whatever both people are happy with.

harrigran Mon 02-May-22 09:13:19

GD1 calls her Dad by his forename, I think she does it to wind him up, a bit like Bart and Homer Simpson.
As long as I can remember my father called his mother Lizzie, it was not her name but I never found out the reason why he did that.
Only my DIL and SIL call me by my first name.
I really don't think I would be bothered what I was called as long as they did call me.

henetha Mon 02-May-22 09:09:29

Every family is different and it's their choice. But I love being mum or Nan. . My d.i.l's call me by my first name but that's fine, I like it.

Witzend Mon 02-May-22 09:06:27

Dh and his brothers always called MiL by her first name - she evidently didn’t mind at all.

PamelaJ1 Mon 02-May-22 09:01:58

My DD called me by my name for about 3years when she was 3. Then I became mummy again.
Her choice, we had nothing to do with it.

BlueSky Mon 02-May-22 08:49:32

MawtheMerrier

Is this not a case of “I don’t care what they call me, as long as they call me” ?

Exactly Maw! grin

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 08:35:00

I wouldn’t like it. One DD calls me mama and one mummy (even though she is 40). I love hearing both of those.
My dear friend’s children call her by her Christian name, always have done. She does not mind at all and they have loving, traditional family relationships.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 08:31:20

My mum wouldn't have allowed it.
I remember being quite shocked when I was about 17 and went to a friends house.
She called them by their actual names!!!

Clawdy Mon 02-May-22 08:28:47

I remember it was regarded as quite cool back in the seventies. My friend's little boy called her Carol. Then she got a job at a playgroup he attended, and the kids called her Auntie Carol. So he started calling her Auntie Carol! She decided Mummy was preferable grin

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 08:21:18

Whatever works for the family is fine.
Not a big deal either way.