Gransnet forums

Chat

Calling parents but their first names….os it acceptable?

(113 Posts)
Sago Sun 01-May-22 14:11:55

My very lovely daughter in law calls her parents by their first names.

I have never asked her why.
They are a very traditional and loving family, no skeletons or weird stuff!

I would hate it if our children did the same, being Mum and Dad is so special and such a privilege.

Would it worry you?

Beautful Sat 21-May-22 10:17:00

Personally I don't like it , my cousins children called them by their Christian names ... although when messing around being playful is completely different ... like the time my son called his dad Francis ... I said its Frank he was Christened Frank ... he said he wasn't Christened Dad but I have to call it him !!! Answer for everything ? ? ?

Luckygirl3 Wed 04-May-22 10:10:26

Is it "acceptable"? - of course - why might it nor be?

JackyB Wed 04-May-22 10:03:32

Our parents (well mainly our father) were terrible snobs and aspirational social climbers so we always called them Mummy and Daddy. When she was well over 90 our DM asked us if we wanted to call her by her first name. My sister and I immediately said no - she had been Mummy for over 60 years - how could we change that?

My father always insisted from the birth of the first grandchild however that they should know him as Pat, which was his name, of course.

MawtheMerrier Tue 03-May-22 23:37:33

But looking back now I don't know why bitchy an issue confusedconfused
Autocorrect has a lot to answer for sometimes! ??

Visgir1 Tue 03-May-22 23:36:36

My son around 2 yrs also called me by my First name for ages.
Years later his little daughter called him by his name as well.
My Dad we always know by his first name by myself, sister and all his Grandchildren.
Not unusual in my family.

Callistemon21 Tue 03-May-22 21:21:13

It wouldn't bother me but when DD called DH by his first name as a joke, her MIL was quite upset

TheodoraP Tue 03-May-22 20:30:13

I agree notspaghetti

Norah Tue 03-May-22 17:22:23

No. It would not worry me in the least, as it is my name.

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-May-22 16:20:07

Theodora, maybe you and others were calling him by his name - in which case it seems natural that your 2 year old might copy this.

TheodoraP Tue 03-May-22 15:45:17

When my son was 2 for some reason he started calling his dad by his first name

I wasn't sure about that so I didn't allow it

But looking back now I don't know why bitchy an issue

Chardy Tue 03-May-22 15:14:39

People get to an amazing age when their siblings and friends are no more, and there is no-one left to use their name. I know one old lady, she's a real love, everyone calls her the family names mentioned above, even if they're not related. I couldn't call her Ma or Gran, so I asked her what her name is, and I call her that!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 03-May-22 13:52:51

I love being called Mum. When he’s being stern with me my son calls me Mother.?

TillyTrotter Tue 03-May-22 11:33:24

Eldest DD called my mum “Nanny Winnie the Pooh” one day. We laughed - and it stuck. She was always known as that by her GD’s until she died.

nadateturbe Tue 03-May-22 11:24:17

Baggs I don't think calling parents by first name is "pretty ordinary".
And I knew what you meant.

maddyone Tue 03-May-22 10:20:04

My children cal, me Mum, Mummy, and occasionally Mother. And their father Dad, Daddy, and Grandad Dog. I’m Nana Dog. I love these names. I love it when my grandchildren say Nana. These are my precious names.

Zoejory Tue 03-May-22 10:02:16

My daughter was upstairs with a friend. They were about 7. I was about to enter the room when I hard my child say I'll ask Lucy, (names have been changed!) I went in smiling saying *Lucy?

My child looked horrified that I'd heard. Her friend always called her parents by their names. I did think it rather odd.

I've been Mummy ever since ... yes I know .. some of you will cringe at Mummy, but that's how we've evolved.

Baggs Tue 03-May-22 09:59:33

nadateturbe

Baggs I chose the name specifically for GN. I left and came back with this name to remind me not to let comments bother me ?.

That's good ntt ? I only meant that finding what is a pretty ordinary idea to me "very strange" could be described as a disturbance. Nothing profound ?

Witzend Tue 03-May-22 09:32:18

My mother always hated ‘Mum’ so she was Mummy until we were quite a bit older and started calling her Old Woman instead, which she didn’t mind at all. My father had been Old Man for a long time - the OW used it herself.

After Mummy and Mum, dds have called me a weird private name for years now - I’m perfectly happy with it. Dh is Pa, but I still refer to him as Daddy.
Son in law and ‘partner’ in law use my first name - I wouldn’t want them to call me Mum - IMO that’s reserved for your own mother.

lixy Mon 02-May-22 16:37:04

Mum and Dad here for our AC, Sil and Dil both call us by our first names, all fine by us.
I'd find it a bit odd if either of the inlaws called us Mum or Dad.
Eldest GS calls me by my first name when he's being 'shocked' by my outrageous behaviour, but Grandma is usual.
Mum/Dad etc denote a special relationship and I like that, so no I wouldn't like to lose that.

nadateturbe Mon 02-May-22 16:28:23

Baggs I chose the name specifically for GN. I left and came back with this name to remind me not to let comments bother me ?.

Rosiecat Mon 02-May-22 15:52:25

Is it a Scottish thing? My Scottish daughter-in-law calls her parents by their Christian names and her brothers wife does the same with hers.

Baggs Mon 02-May-22 15:21:12

nadateturbe

I am mum. Very strange idea imo.

And yet, nadateturbe, you chose the username nada te turbe

Sorry no full stop. I'm having a full stop anxiety day ?

nadateturbe Mon 02-May-22 14:45:23

I am mum. Very strange idea imo.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-May-22 14:20:54

Oooh, Laura if Orlin ever called me mum or mother I’d call him something unprintable.
???

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 13:06:14

Oh. Oops.,