Gransnet forums

Chat

Calling parents but their first names….os it acceptable?

(112 Posts)
JaneJudge Sun 01-May-22 14:52:38

Mine sometimes call me by my first name. I think they find it funny

FarNorth Sun 01-May-22 14:51:30

My kids always called me by my name from quite early on, I'm not sure why but I never minded.
My DS (at about 4) also tried calling his granny by her name but she said she liked him to call her granny as that was special.

I have one grandchild and I don't think I'd like her to call me by my name but if she really wanted to I'd get used to it.

Shelflife Sun 01-May-22 14:46:53

Our three call us Mum And Dad - that's how we like it. Their spouses use our first names - we like that. Does' really matter , personal choice.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 01-May-22 14:42:35

Same as Smileless. Our daughter in law calls us by our Christian names which is fine but our son wouldn’t.

ElaineI Sun 01-May-22 14:38:35

None of ours do that. SiL and DS fiancee call us by our Christian names but that is fine.

Audi10 Sun 01-May-22 14:34:29

It seems to be a thing now, my four don’t! We wouldn’t like it, we are Mum & Dad

Smileless2012 Sun 01-May-22 14:29:22

I wouldn't like it but each to their own.

crazyH Sun 01-May-22 14:18:47

No way- not to me anyway. I am ‘Mum’ to my 3. My youngest son calls me by my first name as a joke. When I’m visiting, his greeting is “ so H, what’s all the news then ?“ and I say “give me a chance N, I need that cup of tea first ‘ ???

tanith Sun 01-May-22 14:18:42

One of my GDs calls her Mum my daughter by her christian name I’ve no idea why, her 3 brothers call her Mum. Honestly I don’t think I’d mind that much.

welbeck Sun 01-May-22 14:15:09

tends to be the same group who walk around naked in the house; not my background.
each to their own i guess.

maddyone Sun 01-May-22 14:14:49

I wouldn’t like it, but it’s up to them I think.

Sago Sun 01-May-22 14:11:55

My very lovely daughter in law calls her parents by their first names.

I have never asked her why.
They are a very traditional and loving family, no skeletons or weird stuff!

I would hate it if our children did the same, being Mum and Dad is so special and such a privilege.

Would it worry you?