Gransnet forums

Chat

Calling parents but their first names….os it acceptable?

(113 Posts)
Sago Sun 01-May-22 14:11:55

My very lovely daughter in law calls her parents by their first names.

I have never asked her why.
They are a very traditional and loving family, no skeletons or weird stuff!

I would hate it if our children did the same, being Mum and Dad is so special and such a privilege.

Would it worry you?

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-May-22 22:59:33

boat

My parents called each other Mother and Father (1940s). I didn't know their names until I was fifteen.

That’s astonishing, boat!

paddyann54 Sun 01-May-22 23:36:07

My old next door neighbours did thatBoat they were quite elderly and they always called each other Maw and Daddy .I used to say to my other half will we do that when we're old..we haven't so far.
My Daughter used to call me by my first name when she was a toddler but it was just because she was in work with me all the time and everybody called me by my first name ,never bothered me at all but my mum used to sit with her for ages and tell her I wasn't Paddy I was mum.She stopped when she went to school,around the same time she started sleeping through the night .

Deedaa Sun 01-May-22 23:41:13

My SiL was a family friend to start with so to have him suddenly start calling me Mum would have been very strange. He's also quite a bit older than DD which would have added to the strangeness. My children call me all sorts of things. Daft Bat is one that comes to mind.

mokryna Mon 02-May-22 00:50:38

Two of my SiLs call me by my first name and the other calls me granny since the birth of his children, which I don’t like.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-May-22 02:17:57

Yes. It's more than acceptable. It's SO lovely to have the people (^especially the tiny ones^) you love call you by your name.
I'm with Baggs on this one.

I don't call my son "Son" or my granddaughter "Granddaughter" or my husband "Husband". These are to me more a title or role. It's not really a person.
I definitely wouldn't want to be called "Wife"!

I don't care what words other families call each other. Why is it a problem for a family to choose to use their actual names?

There's no confusion. Everyone knows who their mother, grandfather, daughter is. We don't need to use these generic titles to love and be loved.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-May-22 02:20:26

as long as I’m loved that’s all that matters.
So true, Redhead

absent Mon 02-May-22 06:01:33

If it is okay with them, it is okay with everybody else.

MawtheMerrier Mon 02-May-22 07:02:23

Is this not a case of “I don’t care what they call me, as long as they call me” ?

Oldnproud Mon 02-May-22 07:51:42

I remember my first childhood holiday down south, when I was about eight - I couldn't believe my ears on the beach when I heard big children, many even older than I was (!), actually still calling their mums and dads 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' rather than'Mum' and 'Dad'. It sounded so hilariously babyish to me, and 'posh' too. Why didn't they speak normal (Yorkshire), like everyone else I knew - weren't they embarrassed at how silly it made them look? grin
Heaven knows what I would have thought if they had been using their parents first names!

Amusingly, my own older two DGC (9 and nearly 11) still often call their parents Mummy/Daddy, though it's gradually changing. I've noticed, however, that my youngest DGC (nearly 4), their cousin, has already started using Mum/Dad sometimes. Not their first names, though - yet ?

Thisismyname1953 Mon 02-May-22 07:55:33

My late DH was first to be married out of 6 siblings . Up till our marriage I called his mum ‘Mrs V’ but once we were married I couldn’t do that as I was also ‘Mrs V’ .
She never suggested what I was to call her so I decided on a derivative of her name that wasn’t the one everyone else used . She was ok with that and her 3rd DS also started using it as a term of affection.
For some reason I also called my own DM by her Christian name too . She didn’t mind in the slightest .

Iam64 Mon 02-May-22 08:12:20

Wouldn’t worry me a jot. My daughters often use a shortened version of my first name. It’s the name of a character in a drama piece they both did in 6th form. Most of their friends from those happy school days use this (unusual) shortened form of my name.
I’m grannie shortened first name to our grandchildren
It’s the relationships that count

mokryna Mon 02-May-22 08:15:37

Oldnproud calling their mums and dads 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' rather than'Mum' and 'Dad'. It sounded so hilariously babyish to me, and 'posh' too

I am not posh but my 3DDs still call me mummy.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 08:21:18

Whatever works for the family is fine.
Not a big deal either way.

Clawdy Mon 02-May-22 08:28:47

I remember it was regarded as quite cool back in the seventies. My friend's little boy called her Carol. Then she got a job at a playgroup he attended, and the kids called her Auntie Carol. So he started calling her Auntie Carol! She decided Mummy was preferable grin

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 08:31:20

My mum wouldn't have allowed it.
I remember being quite shocked when I was about 17 and went to a friends house.
She called them by their actual names!!!

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 08:35:00

I wouldn’t like it. One DD calls me mama and one mummy (even though she is 40). I love hearing both of those.
My dear friend’s children call her by her Christian name, always have done. She does not mind at all and they have loving, traditional family relationships.

BlueSky Mon 02-May-22 08:49:32

MawtheMerrier

Is this not a case of “I don’t care what they call me, as long as they call me” ?

Exactly Maw! grin

PamelaJ1 Mon 02-May-22 09:01:58

My DD called me by my name for about 3years when she was 3. Then I became mummy again.
Her choice, we had nothing to do with it.

Witzend Mon 02-May-22 09:06:27

Dh and his brothers always called MiL by her first name - she evidently didn’t mind at all.

henetha Mon 02-May-22 09:09:29

Every family is different and it's their choice. But I love being mum or Nan. . My d.i.l's call me by my first name but that's fine, I like it.

harrigran Mon 02-May-22 09:13:19

GD1 calls her Dad by his forename, I think she does it to wind him up, a bit like Bart and Homer Simpson.
As long as I can remember my father called his mother Lizzie, it was not her name but I never found out the reason why he did that.
Only my DIL and SIL call me by my first name.
I really don't think I would be bothered what I was called as long as they did call me.

AussieNanna Mon 02-May-22 09:39:07

if it is acceptable to the people concerned then it is acceptable.

My kids call me Mum - but anyone else can call their parents whatever both people are happy with.

BlueSapphire Mon 02-May-22 10:30:42

DD and DS call me mum, but their partners call me by my first name, which I don't mind. Would never have dared call my parents and in laws by their names!

JaneJudge Mon 02-May-22 10:32:55

HowVeryDareYou

My sons always called my husband (their dad) by his first name, up until they were in their late teens. It was probably because that's what they heard me say a lot. My mum thought it was terrible grin. She didn't like me not wearing my wedding ring, either. I haven't worn it for 39 years (I was 9st when I married, never been that weight since sad)

you can have gold added to it to make it bigger smile it may be thick enough to stretch?

I realise this is a 4 decades old problem grin

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 10:33:14

What did or do you call your in laws?