Gransnet forums

Chat

Who was in the wrong here?

(43 Posts)
Vintagejazz Sun 01-May-22 17:16:41

I was in a local cafe earlier with a friend. The cafe has a large downstairs area and a smaller upstairs area which is adults only. I would normally sit there I admit because it's quiet and peaceful.

Today a family trooped up with 3 children aged about 2-6. The manager insisted they sit downstairs despite the couple arguing there was a nicer view upstairs and they were paying customers.

My friend thought she was being a dragon, I thought the couple were unfair as it was clearly signed that upstairs was over 18 only.

Wondering what other gnetters think?

BlueSky Sun 01-May-22 20:22:44

Exactly Dickens if I don’t agree with a particular rule, I take my custom elsewhere.

Hetty58 Sun 01-May-22 20:32:28

Of course the rules must be followed. I do wish our local coffee shop had an 'adults only' area. It's more like an adventure playground for unruly brats (mums chatting or on their phones). If we can't find a table outside, we simply don't go in!

Ailsa43 Sun 01-May-22 23:08:38

Agree with the Manager !

henetha Sun 01-May-22 23:34:01

Completely agree with the manager making them stick to the rules.

rafichagran Mon 02-May-22 00:23:36

Agree with the Manager, the customers were wrong, it clearly stated no children upstairs.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 00:27:15

It makes sense not to have children going up and down the stairs.
Right or wrong, I know where I'd prefer to sit.

mokryna Mon 02-May-22 00:41:38

Agree with the manager and I would like to find a place to sit in peace also.

Grammaretto Mon 02-May-22 01:07:44

Agree with the manager.
I had my lunch in a local café last week and at the next table was a cute looking infant whose noises made conversation impossible.
I have her down for a future town crier.

AussieNanna Mon 02-May-22 09:46:38

Yes I think this rule is reasonable and cafe owner is right here.

Like adults only areas in resorts and suchlike.

Vintagejazz Mon 02-May-22 10:01:40

Much as I love babies and toddlers it really is bliss to be able to have a coffee and a chat without having to listen to wailing, shrieking and tantrums.

H1954 Mon 02-May-22 10:11:27

I'm with the management on this. They had clearly taken the initiative to reserve an area for adults and to be held nest, how many children appreciate a good view whilst having a cuppa?

No, the family who insisted they go up stairs are are in the wrong.

As a grandparent to 4 youngsters I would never have insisted we go somewhere where management had deemed it inappropriate and unacceptable.

Calendargirl Mon 02-May-22 10:16:45

You appear to be a lone voice in the wilderness BlueSky.

BlueSky Mon 02-May-22 10:24:58

Calendar I‘m simply stating that if I wasn’t happy I would leave. The manager could very well be right, I don’t dispute that, I wouldn’t argue, just take my custom elsewhere. By the way I don’t have any young DGC so I do like peace and quiet myself!

Smileless2012 Mon 02-May-22 10:41:35

Good for the manager, as has been said the family could take their business else where.

Daisend1 Mon 02-May-22 10:43:49

If mobility issues were not my problem I would willingly climb a few stairs to have my' after shopping' refreshments
That's life.

timetogo2016 Mon 02-May-22 10:50:04

Agree with the manager.

Galaxy Mon 02-May-22 10:56:19

Not quite a lone voice. I would have followed the rules but I wouldnt return.