Gransnet forums

Chat

Dishwasher tablets….so expensive.

(72 Posts)
Sago Thu 05-May-22 19:14:57

I only but the very expensive dishwasher tablets as the cheap ones never seem to work.
We buy for ourselves and our holiday let so it’s a big chunk of money every month.
However I googled “dishwasher tablet offers” in the hope of a BOGOF deal and I came across this site , I cannot believe how much I have saved!
Here’s the link.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjLsviu-sj3AhUIAcAKHT1hAWEQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fshop.finish.co.uk%2F&usg=AOvVaw0NlNbM_J1RSDj6gQYHXLwF

Mollygo Fri 06-May-22 13:12:31

I usually buy Finish Powerball from TOFS. It does vary, but the last lot cost £10 for 110 tablets.

Visgir1 Fri 06-May-22 14:30:19

Throw a couple in your washing machine @90° to give it a good cleaning. Read it on Mrs Hitch works a treat.

Sparklefizz Fri 06-May-22 15:46:18

A box of 60 in Sainsbury's are 8p each. They always work for me.

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 16:34:52

Any advance on 8 pence per tablet?

Pittcity Fri 06-May-22 16:38:46

Very happy with Lidl tablets.

merlotgran Fri 06-May-22 17:03:04

MissAdventure

Any advance on 8 pence per tablet?

Aldi. 4.9p

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 17:08:33

That really is excellent!
What a difference in prices between brands.

Rameses Fri 06-May-22 17:52:29

A big bottle of Fairy Liquid, a dishcloth and a pair of hands work effectively and are significantly cheaper (as is using next to now - very expensive - power).

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 17:56:30

My dishwasher uses less water than washing by hand though. smile

merlotgran Fri 06-May-22 18:28:57

My slimline dishwasher uses less water and energy than washing up at the sink. Unless I have visitors I only need to turn it on every other day.

Treelover Sat 07-May-22 11:25:51

always use aldi's it beats all the others according to Which alongside fairy platinum which are so much more expensive. ...and why pay for Which if you ignore them?

Beanie654321 Sat 07-May-22 11:27:44

Fabulousa have j7st bought out dishwasher tablet and I admit I was apprehensive, but they are great. I paid £4.99 think it was a pack of 40. Worked out alot cheaper than my usual brand.

HazelGreen Sat 07-May-22 11:34:17

Apart from high price, I hate being told how much chemical to put into my machines so have kept to powder for laundry but find it impossible to source a dishwasher powder these days. I used to get big pouch and refill two plastic containers. Not in UK so no Sainsbury's.

Nannan2 Sat 07-May-22 11:35:32

Thanks for link, but ill work out later how much that works out per tablet..I actually think the 'green' ones work best from that manufacturer- I've tried the other ones in the past, but they didn't get them all clean!- i didnt pay dear either- discount freezer shop had them on at £8.99 per bag for 110. But i did say to my eldest son when i gave them my old dishwasher (still loads of life in it!) Use the best you can afford- but i certainly dont fork out expensive all the time- and ive been hearing good things about Aldi's range of cleaning and household things, including dishwasher tabs, so i might give them a try! I certainly would use them for a 'holiday let' place as the people renting will probably neither know nor care where you bought them.(put them in a pretty old biscuit tin maybe if it bothers you?)They may be just glad there's a dishwasher.I personally would not be happy if there was finish (normal) ones as i dont rate them.Was surprised their 'natural' ones work better though-maybe they contain bicarb??

Aepgirl Sat 07-May-22 11:47:45

I find the basic ones in most supermarkets work well and don’t leave a lingering smell. Finish tablets are too abrasive and remove the glaze on plates etc.
I read recently that all products that are labelled ‘lemon’ don’t have any real lemon in them, just synthetic which can cause some people to have breathing problems.

Nannan2 Sat 07-May-22 11:51:20

Looked at link, but the 'clearance' section still makes the 0% ones(the green bag, more 'eco' than the others) 10p a tablet by their own admission on front of bag! I do think they work better than the platinum etc though.But when mine run out i think ill try Aldi ones & compare, Lidl laundry,dishwash tabs, & cleaning stuff are supposed to be good too i've heard.?

Nannan2 Sat 07-May-22 11:52:24

Yes, i stopped buying the Lemon types as i found it lingers...

Glorianny Sat 07-May-22 11:56:56

I've just bought a pack of Astonish 100 for 7.49 from Sainsburys Only tried one but it seemed OK.

Nannan2 Sat 07-May-22 11:59:12

Not sure about the fabulosa- i noticed a lot of their stuff has 'warnings' on back about stuff in them.(mainly to do with pets & wet floors,? but still....it quite put me off their whole stuff- 'Astonish' stuff seem ok, but i don't know if they make dishwasher tabs yet.Will keep a look out.

Candelle Sat 07-May-22 12:00:43

We had major problems using 3-in-1 dishwasher tablets (usually 'Finish') as they never, ever, produced glasses that were sparkling, they always had a horrid glaze after a wash and looked as if we had not bothered to wash them (we are in an extremely hard water area though).

We changed to using the cheap-as-chips own brand (from Aldi or Lidl) varieties which work out at 5p per tablet and the result is astounding - bright, clean sparkly glasswear! It is, of course, necessary to use separate salt and rinse aid which adds to the overall cost but the difference is amazing.

Nannan2 Sat 07-May-22 12:00:49

Thank you Glorianny! I will look next time near Sainsburys.

MayBee70 Sat 07-May-22 12:07:21

Nannan2

Not sure about the fabulosa- i noticed a lot of their stuff has 'warnings' on back about stuff in them.(mainly to do with pets & wet floors,? but still....it quite put me off their whole stuff- 'Astonish' stuff seem ok, but i don't know if they make dishwasher tabs yet.Will keep a look out.

That worries me, too. I sometimes soak things using a dishwasher tablet if they are particularly difficult to clean eg something burnt onto a saucepan and assume whatever is in the tablet is pretty caustic. So I use my dishwasher as little as possible.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 07-May-22 12:12:07

I use Aldi or Lidl both reasonably priced

icanhandthemback Sat 07-May-22 12:19:10

We buy Powerball tablets from Farmfoods. With their voucher and buy 2 for £x, they are always cheaper than anywhere else. However, recently, their offers haven't been quite as stunning so how long we will be doing that, I don't know.

Justhavingacuppa Sat 07-May-22 12:21:03

I find Lidl’s own brand to be just as good as the branded ones and are around £2.99 for a box of 50 tablets.