Gransnet forums

Chat

Our Eurovision song!

(132 Posts)
Honeysuckleberries Wed 11-May-22 18:58:15

Has anyone else heard this? It’s absolutely brilliant it’s sung by a sexy long haired man called Sam Ryder. I can’t wait as I love Eurovision even the political voting. Does anyone else like Eurovision?

merlotgran Wed 11-May-22 22:25:10

JenniferEccles

Wasn’t it Katie Boyle who was described as ‘the thinking man’s crumpet’ ? !

No. That was Joan Bakewell.

MissAdventure Wed 11-May-22 22:26:25

grin
Bakewell tarts, crumpets...

henetha Wed 11-May-22 22:38:37

Yes I've heard our song and love it.
I enjoy the whole mad noisy event and will be glued to the TV on Saturday. I'd like us to win but it's highly unlikely. Even more I'd like Ukraine to win and hopefully they will.

MerylStreep Wed 11-May-22 22:46:07

I like Serbias entry. She’s singing about Meghan Markles hair ?

gallusquine Wed 11-May-22 22:47:18

Honeysuckleberries have you seen this film,
Eurovision The Story of Fire Saga
It’s very funny

youtu.be/Z-BLeTJTxXM

Dinahmo Wed 11-May-22 22:51:37

Did not like the English entry. Ed Sheeran volunteered I think. Not a fan but he could have done better. Bill Bailey also volunteered. I reckon he could win, given the chance.

maddyone Wed 11-May-22 23:01:21

Aveline

I'm sure he's good but I just want Ukraine to win!

Me too, and I think they will. Their song is quite nice from the bit I’ve heard, but I’m sure they would win even if it weren’t. The whole of Europe will vote for them to show our total support for what they’re going through.

MayBee70 Thu 12-May-22 03:08:40

Callistemon21

JenniferEccles

Wasn’t it Katie Boyle who was described as ‘the thinking man’s crumpet’ ? !

I thought it was Joan Bakewell?

That’s just what I was going to say. I love Eurovision. Listened to the songs in the first semi final last night. The Scandinavian songs all sounded pretty good. If Ukraine win it won’t be because they have the best song. It’s ok but not a winning song. Much as I support them it isn’t right to win for political reasons. Haven’t heard a standout song yet, but like a couple of quite slow songs. Donte like slow songs in general so for a slow one to grab my attention it must be good. I take Eurovision very seriously! Someone I know bets on it each year and it usually pays for their summer holiday.

giulia Thu 12-May-22 06:27:24

The British singer is well liked here by the Italian journalists/music critics so he has a chance. Has a lot of charm and came across very well on Italian News. Mind you, the Italian song is one of the most beautiful and original (a duet: two young men).
In Italy too, people want Ukraine to at least be second, after Italy of course!

MayBee70 Thu 12-May-22 06:29:59

I like the Netherlands song. And the weird Norway one! Just read that the winning song is usually by a country that has placed in the last few contests. But the Ukraine situation has scuppered that this year.

Joseanne Thu 12-May-22 06:40:19

i take Eurovision very seriously!
That's the funny thing. The more outrageous it gets, the more seriously we take it!

Ailidh Thu 12-May-22 06:46:11

I used to enjoy it before the voting got so ludicrously political.

Probably will watch, unless I've missed it, although the padding really bugs me.

ShazzaKanazza Thu 12-May-22 09:50:20

Well MissAdventure he’s definitely worth a watch!! Really good song. He’s like a Viking
Hope he gets a few more points than last years entry.

Sparklefizz Thu 12-May-22 09:52:57

I love our song which is played a lot on Radio 2, but I'm not a Eurovision fan since the voting all became tactical ... and because of that I expect Ukraine to win, even if their song is nothing more than "Baa Baa Black Sheep"

merlotgran Thu 12-May-22 11:13:22

I think Baa Baa Black Sheep would be an improvement, Sparklefizz but like everyone else I’ll be cheering for Ukraine.

And us of course.????

Kate1949 Thu 12-May-22 11:18:17

Beautiful songs don't seem to win any more. It's all about politics and who looks the most outrageous.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 12-May-22 11:32:32

I’ll be watching. The eclectic mix appeals to me. It is some light relief but I do miss Terry Wogan.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 12-May-22 11:35:13

Are we going to comment during the programme?
Missadventure very good. We need a crumpet emoji. A tart emoji might be useful?

Moggycuddler Thu 12-May-22 11:38:23

We will watch the final on Saturday. With nacho chips and dip. Don't expect our song to do much. Ukraine will win.

Buttonjugs Thu 12-May-22 11:38:34

I’ve been watching since 1968 never missed it. I love it ?

Grantanow Thu 12-May-22 11:39:24

Yes but the Ukrainians are going to win. It's a fix.

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 11:39:44

Oh I don't know.

I've always been a bit "sniffy" about it all, and I havent watched it since... a while.
If someone made a thread, though, it could be fun.

Aepgirl Thu 12-May-22 11:41:26

Eurovision is something that shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Just sit back with a glass or two of wine and watch the eccentrics. Some of the staging is fantastic and must be great fun to work on.

Keffie12 Thu 12-May-22 11:45:23

I can't see how we can come bottom this year or/and be on nil points. However this is the Eurovision ? I like the song

giulia Thu 12-May-22 11:49:04

Kate1949

Beautiful songs don't seem to win any more. It's all about politics and who looks the most outrageous.

Sadly, you might be right.