Gransnet forums

Chat

Are You Superstitious

(60 Posts)
Audi10 Fri 13-May-22 11:49:10

Since it’s fri 13th, what better time to ask! I’m actually not! Though I wouldn’t purposely walk under a ladder!

hollysteers Fri 13-May-22 21:43:47

I’m a bundle of inherited superstitions I could do without (my mother read cards…) lilies in the house, two spoons means a proposal, crossed knives, no real flowers on stage, hats on the bed, nothing to be taken from a churchyard (not that I would), don’t cover mirrors, make a wish doing something for the first time, bird flying in the house, etc.etc.
I routinely saluted magpies and then saw Paul O’Grady not only saluting the magpie but spitting as well so have had to add that to my repertoire?

pinkprincess Fri 13-May-22 22:08:30

Hospitals never have a Ward 13. When I was doing my nurse training I soon learned never to put red and white flowers in the same vase or allow white lilies into the ward
When I was a young child it was thought that to bring an unbaptised baby into a house other than the parents one would bring bad luck to the householder. I actually witnessed this in the street when a resident brought a new born baby into an old lady's house, and was immediately asked to leave after learning that the baby had not been baptised yet.

Witzend Sat 14-May-22 07:59:55

Oh, dear, I usually shout at magpies to bugger off - there are a lot around here and I don’t want them in our garden.

Years ago you used to hear, ‘One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy’, but that was in the days before they were protected, not fair game as predators of other birds.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 14-May-22 08:43:46

I'm a little superstitious, I throw a pinch of salt over my left shoulder, greet magpies and don't put new shows on the table. I'm not worried about the number 13 as I was born on the 13th so consider it lucky.

M0nica Sat 14-May-22 09:02:51

No

luluaugust Sat 14-May-22 09:59:49

Usual magpies greeting, no peacocks feathers or May blossom in the house. My granny, long gone, would never wear pink, she told my mother two friends had died soon after she had seen them, when she was wearing a particular pink dress!!
The 13th was lucky for me when my DS arrived safely after many problems.

henetha Sat 14-May-22 10:21:48

I'm not really superstitious, but some things hang over from childhood a little. Mum, who was very superstitious, always swore that green was an unlucky colour, so when I left school and started work at the age of 15, in order to defy her, I bought a lovely bottle green winter coat. One day, walking along the seafront in Torquay, a large wave flew over the sea-wall and drenched me and my green coat. It was unwearable after that.
Mum was very triumphant and we often laughed about it over the years. But I've never bought green clothes since.

Farzanah Sat 14-May-22 10:43:09

I don’t believe in the supernatural or superstitions but I do understand that such beliefs do have feasible neurological explanations for why people do, even in advanced societies such as ours.

mamaa Sat 14-May-22 11:58:09

My mum was and so I used all the sayings over the years, many of those mentioned above with my family.
None of the family are in the least bit superstitious and so ignored the old sayings and they are no longer used, and will be forgotten as the Grandchildren know nothing about them- which is fine as it can get a bit ludicrous, uncrossing knives, saluting/talking to magpies, throwing salt if required to do so at any given time grin.