Gransnet forums

Chat

Jessie Wallace Arrest!

(118 Posts)
Audi10 Wed 22-Jun-22 14:28:05

So Jessie Wallace knees a policeman in the privates while drunk, and shouts a mouthful of obscenities during a drunken bust up on a night out! And put into back of police van while cuffed by two officers, arrested on suspicion of assaulting police officer an offence which carries up to 12 months behind bars! BBC have told her off, I’m just wondering what would have happened if a man had done this to a female officer would they just get a telling off!

Joseanne Fri 24-Jun-22 08:35:00

I guess if you live in the area it kind of makes more sense. So Tower Hamlets (because I know it) has around 100 serious crimes per 1000 inhabitants each year. One in 10 of the EE characters is probably capable if not coupable of duchess stuff at some time!
My DD was friends with Dirty Den's real son who was ginger. (Useless information, I know!)

Joseanne Fri 24-Jun-22 08:35:42

duchess? = such

Chestnut Fri 24-Jun-22 09:35:41

Whenever EE has accidentally appeared on my TV I just hear people shouting at each other or at the very least talking in a very unfriendly way. It seems to have such a miserable, negative vibe.

oldeman Fri 24-Jun-22 10:49:44

Wow, fish wifes are generally hardworking and keep a home together often during difficult financial times. They should not be used as a comparison for over paid, low budget, overated actresses with huge ego's.
Sorry for the rant but as a former resident of Grimsby (at one time the biggest fishing port in the uk) I feel they should be defended.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jun-22 11:01:04

About a year after Eastenders began DH was chased across a local town square by two middle aged women because they were convinced he was Dirty Den despite his repeated denials.

The children and I couldn’t move for laughing.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jun-22 11:05:12

grin

Galaxy Fri 24-Jun-22 11:08:54

Thank God it wasnt me GG but if I had had half a chance grin

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jun-22 11:10:35

I used to like it back in the day, when Den and Ange were in it.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jun-22 11:22:58

MissAdventure

I used to like it back in the day, when Den and Ange were in it.

That’s when we used to watch it.

I haven’t kept up with any of the soaps for 15+ years, life got in the way then and now whenever I see a clip (of any of them) they seem to have lost the underlying humour and become so shouty and aggressive.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jun-22 11:27:45

I used to like Dot, and Nick ('Ello Maw) as well.
Pauline and Arthur, when she bashed him with the frying pan. smile
Ethel and little Willie...
Those were the days! smile

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jun-22 11:31:28

MissAdventure

I used to like Dot, and Nick ('Ello Maw) as well.
Pauline and Arthur, when she bashed him with the frying pan. smile
Ethel and little Willie...
Those were the days! smile

It was certainly more entertaining.

(My friend went on a blind date and it turned out to be Nick Cotton )

Galaxy Fri 24-Jun-22 11:33:44

It's interesting to watch the soaps from ages ago and realise how things have changed. We really used to be quite odd about old men having relationships with teenage girls. It's actually quite unpleasant watching it back.

Chestnut Fri 24-Jun-22 12:38:05

To get back to female celebrities getting away with things, Katie Price has just avoided jail yet again! She got 170 hours community service. And so it goes on....

Chestnut Fri 24-Jun-22 12:48:24

oldeman There is an expression which links fishwives with swearing and shouting, that's all. I'm sure everyone knows that. Maybe it's not one used in Grimsby though.

volver Fri 24-Jun-22 13:06:46

Its not used in the east of Scotland much, either, as far as I know. Maybe because quite a lot of us actually know/knew fishwives and don't sneer at them or imply they are common.

Joseanne Fri 24-Jun-22 13:13:02

Of course fishwives are hardworking and poorly paid, if at all. Perhaps the poster who mentioned them was talking about how the term came about and its true meaning. Back to East London, Billingsgate Market in Poplar, where when it opened the women used to shout loudly and aggressively across the market to get the best price for their catch.

volver Fri 24-Jun-22 13:19:44

Fishwives were mainly self employed, not on anyone's payroll. So Johnson would like them.

Just Like Feminist, Fishwife Was Supposed to Be an Insult

www.atlasobscura.com/articles/just-like-feminist-fishwife-was-supposed-to-be-an-insult#:~:text=%E2%80%9CFishwife%E2%80%9D%20first%20pops%20up%20in