Gransnet forums

Chat

What brings you contentment? ?

(124 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Jun-22 13:16:12

We can’t all be rich, we can’t all be successful, we can’t all be beautiful.
But I bet you, like me, know people who are all these things but lack contentment.
So what brings you contentment?
Is it a sleeping cat on your lap?
A beautiful view on a sunny day?
The knowledge of a good day well- spent?
A pair of chubby arms wrapped round your knees and shrieks of “Gwanny!” ?
Or even a Victoria sponge that has baked to perfection -even although nobody is coming to tea to eat it except you!
Please feel free to share - knowing what brings contentment to others may lift all our spirits .

LauraNorderr Fri 24-Jun-22 18:03:52

Too much information Kitty ?

karmalady Fri 24-Jun-22 18:14:40

making something, when my mind and hands are occupied and my mind does not whizz all over the place because I am focussed on a positive result. At the moment this is sewing for myself and it is like a jig saw with many pieces but is permanent when it is done and I wear it.

Another time it might be, as it was yesterday, the weather was warm but not too bright and I sat reading on my patio. The birds were singing and I had a small pot of tea with a pretty cup and saucer

It might be when I go for a cycle ride and and manage to get up the hills without it feeling much too hard. Then I feel content because I am still fit and able enough to do this

I suppose I have a lot of contented times in my life

nexus63 Fri 24-Jun-22 18:25:35

seeing my son and grandson laughing and my grandson giving me cuddles are precious (he has autism so not always wanting to be touched). the one place that i feel total contentment no matter what stress i am going through is glen coe, it is not too far for me to visit and i used to go there often with my brother.

downtoearth Fri 24-Jun-22 19:09:28

A hug from my only remaing biological child all 6ft of him
A love you from my DGD who I have brought at from 4years old after my my DD died in suspicious circumstances.
Knowing after my bills are paid from my basic pension I can eat and have a treat or two.
Can maybe help a little with littlest DGD uniform when she starts school in September.
Being supportive and helping my neighbour born with spina bifida to be as self sufficient as he can be
Starting a new volunteer project with in the community.
Lustening to the birds and rustling trees in our communal garden.
Just simple things.

Blossoming Fri 24-Jun-22 19:23:18

My own bed after hospital visits smile

Painterly Fri 24-Jun-22 21:16:23

Clean sheets on the bed, looking out at the garden from the conservatory on a rainy day, radio on, tea in hand, sitting out on the terrace with my husband on a sunny evening with a long G&T, being absorbed in a good book or Sudoku puzzle, walking on a deserted beach, wind in my hair, the cat purring away next to me on the sofa, listening to my music playlists, a good drama series on TV to enjoy in the evening.

As a worrier, I wish I could fix the problems my adult children face. That always takes the sheen off any happiness for me, but contentment is different and given so many little things make me content, I feel blessed.

merlotgran Fri 24-Jun-22 21:46:49

kittylester

I am generally contented but currently sitting in the upstairs sitting room with the windows open, having a cuppa and trying to finish the crossword before dh makes me especially content.

The mind boggles, kitty. ?

Presumably he’s going to help you finish the crossword?

Ali23 Fri 24-Jun-22 22:04:04

Sitting in the park drinking coffee with DH and the dog during our morning walks, spending time with our AC and DGCn who all live up north now, sitting at my craft table absorbed in making something.
I’m another one who aims for contentment and hopes that family members can manage it too. Full on joy is a bonus to be savoured while it lasts.

Harris27 Fri 24-Jun-22 22:11:14

A sunny day. A day in the garden with hubby. Seeing my sons and just having the best time together. Oh and I do love a good book❤️

MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Jun-22 22:40:00

Sone of us think that might be just TMI Merlot
Check if Kittylester has a smile on her face when she appears on the Good Morning thread tomorrow gringrin

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Jun-22 22:42:15

merlotgran

kittylester

I am generally contented but currently sitting in the upstairs sitting room with the windows open, having a cuppa and trying to finish the crossword before dh makes me especially content.

The mind boggles, kitty. ?

Presumably he’s going to help you finish the crossword?

I expect her DH is going to make her a nice cup of cocoa.

MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Jun-22 22:47:25

All I can say is lucky kittylester wink

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jun-22 22:48:59

Definitely reading. I find it soothing & it makes me feel content.

Enjoyment of a good meal. Not especially posh food, just plenty - till I’m full.

Makes me count my blessings. Not everyone can have this.

Enid101 Fri 24-Jun-22 23:11:20

Sex.

ElaineI Fri 24-Jun-22 23:28:54

Being with my grandchildren, cuddles from my grandchildren, seeing DC happy, sitting in the garden with bird song, bees, flowers DH has cultivated - and him of course! Today kitten sitting as DD2 had to work today after kitten arrived on Wednesday - kittens are so cute, soft and funny.

Zoejory Fri 24-Jun-22 23:45:43

Going into the garden at night and seeing my resident hedgehogs. Very simple thing but it makes my day. Also the sound of my youngest grandchild laughing. She has a laugh that makes everyone smile

Zoejory Fri 24-Jun-22 23:46:17

Also my dogs snoring.

kittylester Sat 25-Jun-22 08:53:21

I only missed a flipping comma. grin Honestly.

We photocopy the Times crossword and have a competition to see who finishes first. No big smile on the gm thread today Maw.

Cabbie21 Sat 25-Jun-22 08:55:31

For me, contentment is an overall state, rather than just specific moments. I am fortunate that at the present time, I do not have any major health or financial worries, that I have good relationships with my family, that I can do things I enjoy and that make me happy.

rosie1959 Sat 25-Jun-22 09:00:17

Totally agree with you Cabbie21
I try in life not to worry about things or situations I can do nothing about. I very rarely get angry life is too short.

Juliet27 Sat 25-Jun-22 09:01:57

It’s lovely to read how it’s so often the simplest of pleasures that can create contentment but like others, I’m sure, I feel a certain amount of sadness that I can so rarely enjoy family time when they live the other side of the world.

dragonfly46 Sat 25-Jun-22 09:04:29

Exactly my reaction to kitty! Lucky girl!

dragonfly46 Sat 25-Jun-22 09:06:36

I am contented most of the time but I also have moments of pure happiness. These can happen anywhere - in the garden on a summers day, out with the family, when I am with special friends.
I too count my blessings every day.

Wyllow3 Sat 25-Jun-22 09:10:26

Giving up on having Great Ideals about what "should" be, and noticing instead the everyday smiles, neighbour chats, count simple blessings, notice that which I can do, not what I can't anymore do. Yes, and of course "ganma!" when I visit. Having enough money for help in house and garden now and then.

Purplepoppies Sat 25-Jun-22 09:30:57

The sound of running water. Brooks babbling, rivers running, waterfalls, the tide ebbing and flowing. Preferably with no other people around.
Im definitely a water baby. If the water is accompanied by bird song (not seagulls) I'm even happier ?