Gransnet forums

Chat

Long nails on older hands. What do you think?

(178 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 16:37:39

I have strong nails. I’m going for a manicure this week (you can see how they’ve grown in a month!) & would normally have them snipped right down. However this time because it’s summer, I’m tempted to just have gel polish put on them and not have them cut. But would it be a bad look for a ‘pensioner’? Do long nails just look better on the young? I’m wary of them looking like talons ...
?

Blossoming Mon 27-Jun-22 17:33:14

Like not lie ?

Kim19 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:33:29

Do whatever makes you happy, Urm. I'm currently enduring gardening nails but that will improve in the winter, thank goodness.

CanadianGran Mon 27-Jun-22 17:35:52

I think your nails look nice at that length, As long as you are comfortable with the length, go for it! I'm not a fan of really long nails, but that length is nice. And gel polish really makes them strong, so less likely to break or get caught.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:38:45

Urmstongran

^What's the secret of strong nails?^

Genetics probably Calli, but very little housework probably helps ha!
#lazygran

I will p.m. you CraftyGranny ?

???

very little housework
Not helping mine at all

GrannyLaine Mon 27-Jun-22 17:38:58

After a working lifetime in nursing and midwifery when I had to have short nails, I have recently discovered the joys of gel nails and have mine done every 3 weeks and my toenails also at alternate visits. It is an absolute treat, they DO NOT look like talons, just nicely groomed. I love a French manicure but also I like red.
Urmstongran you have lovely hands and nails and a gel manicure will make them look even better.

dragonfly46 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:49:27

Do it Urms your nails are lovely!

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Jun-22 18:06:46

Of course they’re not a bad look, says she ever so hopefully. Mine are about that length and currently bright shiny red - I never realised it was an issue at any age. I’m a low maintenance type though, and paint them myself.

Strangely, I have incredibly strong nails and incredibly weak hair, no idea what that’s about. smile

Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:06:52

I think your nails are fine , but for me mid sixties I prefer shorter and just putting my own polish on not anything that needs to grow out as all of them damage nails eventually I would show you my nails but I don’t know how to send pic

Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:11:54

Think pic will go on , don’t look too close ?

ElaineI Mon 27-Jun-22 18:13:53

I worked as a nurse since I was 17 so couldn't have long nails (in case of scratching patients) and now they seem dry if that's possible and not good even though they are short. Your nails are lovely. I used to get my toenails shaped and painted when I went on holiday though.

Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:14:05

Chosen the file loaded it can see a minute pic but won’t go

SueDonim Mon 27-Jun-22 18:20:05

I don’t like long nails for myself but if it’s what you want, go for it! After all, if you don’t like it, that’s easily remedied. smile

Redhead56 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:20:41

I personally have short nails on arthritic hands. Your hands look very elegant go for it.

nanasam Mon 27-Jun-22 18:22:56

I think the length on the photo is perfect, I only wish mine were strong enough to grow like this smile

mokryna Mon 27-Jun-22 18:24:27

I wish I could have your nails long or short, yours are lovely but I do prefer a little shorter on all ages.
I bite my nails until a few years ago, they are not at all pretty to look at. I am also allergic to varnish.

Audi10 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:34:29

Here are my nails short and done by yours truly I’m in mid sixties

Maudi Mon 27-Jun-22 18:37:28

I think your nails look nice, pretty colour but personally prefer short nails, but go for it if you want long nails in whatever colour you fancy at your age why not. When I was about 17 lol (many moons ago) I was a bridesmaid and glued false nails on half way through the meal I went to the toilet and I was wearing a roll on (remember them) and after going to the loo pulled my roll on up and nearly all my false nails flew off and I was left with ragged nails with bits of glue on to finish my meal, happy days.

Georgesgran Mon 27-Jun-22 18:48:51

My nails are getting attended to on Friday - might get the same colour again - to match my hair!

Hi GMF??!

Millie22 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:54:14

Urms
Lovely nails! Similar colour and length to mine. I don't like dark colours on older hands as they look a bit witchish imo.

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 18:57:58

Strangely, I have incredibly strong nails and incredibly weak hair, no idea what that’s about

I have fine hair MaggieMaybe. I’d love to have hair like Esther McVey (here). Sigh. Lovely thick hair, beautifully styled.

I read once that mostly we get good hair OR nails. When I look at my friends this seems to be a truism.

Oh Audi10 your nails look gorgeous. That usually my chosen length too! Hmm. Maybe I will get them snipped back this week.
?

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 18:59:31

Oh Maudi that was funny! (just not at the time, poor you).

Harris27 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:00:13

Lovely nails go for it!

Maudi Mon 27-Jun-22 19:06:24

Esther McVey is my MP not that I have ever seen her and I agree she's got lovely thick hair.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:09:38

Your nails look fine to me and I wish I could say the same about mine. I used to put oil on them which really helped but then (as is the way with many things) I got bored and stopped.

hollysteers Mon 27-Jun-22 19:16:59

Don’t like talons and I follow Queen Victoria and Joan Collins by covering up my older hands with large rings.