Gransnet forums

Chat

Why report so much ?

(386 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Lucca Tue 05-Jul-22 21:34:53

I am bemused by the amount of times GNetters seem to “report” other members for things which are frankly none of their business. I guess they were school snitches …
The result is the loss of longstanding members of GN through either suspension or their resignation (often due to some perceived “ganging up” aka. Disagreeing with other posters. )

Well done !

dogsmother Wed 06-Jul-22 07:49:51

I think it’s despicable. A traitorous thing that should only be used rarely. I think I was brought up to respect the rhyme that went….Tell Tale Tit, Your Tongue Will Split! All the Doggies will have a bit.

StarDreamer Wed 06-Jul-22 07:51:33

kittylester

Reporting anything other than advertising or suspected tr*lls is pathetic. We are all grown ups for goodness sake. People who report are like school sneaks.

I disagree. If someone reads a post and believes it to be in violation of the guidelines or of decency or of fairness or is bullying or is harassment then it is right and proper to report it.

Casdon Wed 06-Jul-22 07:56:32

StarDreamer

kittylester

Reporting anything other than advertising or suspected tr*lls is pathetic. We are all grown ups for goodness sake. People who report are like school sneaks.

I disagree. If someone reads a post and believes it to be in violation of the guidelines or of decency or of fairness or is bullying or is harassment then it is right and proper to report it.

I can’t see any reason not to say you have done so on the thread though if you’re going to do that - it’s cowardly not to say specifically why if you feel you have to report something?

kittylester Wed 06-Jul-22 08:04:18

Stardreamer or say so on the thread - don't sneak.

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Jul-22 08:08:33

Because Casdon some people who do acknowledge their reporting then get nasty pm’s, which in turn are reported if they can be captured before the sender pulls them back.
No it has not happened to me.
Yes, I do know people it has happened to and seen said pm’s.
I agree with SD bullying should be reported, that is not ‘snitching’.

StarDreamer Wed 06-Jul-22 08:09:36

I disagree.

If a published post is offensive then it is perfectly in order to report it on its content.

If the published content is improper then who has reported it is irrelevant unless the matter in the post involves the person as such, for example. if the post is naming the person or affecting the person's personal interests.

However, I consider that GNHQ should not simply delete a post solely because it has been reported. I don't know GNHQ's process and it may well be that GNHQ does make an assessment.

Galaxy Wed 06-Jul-22 08:11:34

Yes you cant ask people to put reported on the thread there are some really odd trolls on both MN and GN.

StarDreamer Wed 06-Jul-22 08:13:43

kittylester

No, deeming the reporting of impropriety to be sneaking is the language of the bully. They call it grassing. But reporting improper conduct is not grassing nor sneaky.

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 08:14:19

I had assumed Urmstongran has finally seen the light but was too embarrassed to admit it.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Jul-22 08:15:49

Urmstongran has technical problems at the moment.

Galaxy Wed 06-Jul-22 08:16:31

The problem isnt really reporting it's that people think it's ok to put random internet owners in control of speech. Really really bad idea. But you cant expect GN to be some sort of lone freedom fighter grin they would be shut down.

Maximillian Wed 06-Jul-22 08:17:53

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Galaxy Wed 06-Jul-22 08:19:59

I have just said why that's not a good idea there are some very very weird people who troll both MN and GN. Also it draws more attention to them.

merlotgran Wed 06-Jul-22 08:23:22

Esspee

I had assumed Urmstongran has finally seen the light but was too embarrassed to admit it.

What’s that supposed to mean? ?

kittylester Wed 06-Jul-22 08:25:12

Stardreamer, I hope you are not implying that I am a bully.

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 08:26:26

When posters disappear, because they have been reported by an anonymous user, it creates an atmosphere of speculation and distrust among other posters.

I report spam for posts advertising fake medicines etc, because there are people on here, who may be seduced by them. As Espee has stated, they usually come in the middle of the night and when I can't sleep, I tend to go on GN, so notice them.
I always note that I have reported them.

If I see blatant racism or bullying, I consider reporting, but sometimes, feel it is probably best to leave the offensive posts for all to see.

I am aware of three posters, who are missing in action, haven't a clue what they have done or who reported, but I hope they come back soon. None of us are perfect.

How long before this thread is reported and taken down? ?

kircubbin2000 Wed 06-Jul-22 08:26:31

Very odd thread.

Spinnaker Wed 06-Jul-22 08:27:15

Esspee

And it's comments like that that lead to threads like this ....

Casdon Wed 06-Jul-22 08:27:58

I didn’t realise bullying through sending PMs to people who have reported posts was happening Jaxjacky, that is pathetic and says a lot more about the bullies than about the reporter. I’d still say on the forum if I was reporting something though, but it would have to be something really seriously out of order for me to do so in the first place.

JackWild Wed 06-Jul-22 08:28:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 08:31:45

StarDreamer

kittylester

No, deeming the reporting of impropriety to be sneaking is the language of the bully. They call it grassing. But reporting improper conduct is not grassing nor sneaky.

If you are reporting impropriety, then say on the thread and give your reasons, why you think it is improper.

I really dislike that term SD. Smacks of the school playground. ?

StarDreamer Wed 06-Jul-22 08:32:23

Maximillian

Post deleted

No.

If a pupil in school is the victim of nastiness by someone who is always well-behaved when the teacher is around but is nasty when the teacher is not there, it right, proper and correct for another pupil to quietly and privately inform the teacher of the situation.

The badness is in the bullying itself, not in the reporting of it to the proper authority. That does not mean that the teacher should punish the person against whom the allegation is made just because the allegation has been made, but the teacher should at some time return to the classroom unexpectedly and catch the bully in the act.

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 08:40:50

JackWild, I left the Lyons River Cruise, thread because, what started as a gentle and fun thread, became a thread, where we were being advised how and what we should post.
There is a saying, Sucking the joy from something, well that happened to me, on a thread I was enjoying. No one person should be controlling a thread.
I withdrew and decided not to participate in the other river cruise threads either. ?

lemsip Wed 06-Jul-22 08:41:02

dogsmother

I think it’s despicable. A traitorous thing that should only be used rarely. I think I was brought up to respect the rhyme that went….Tell Tale Tit, Your Tongue Will Split! All the Doggies will have a bit.

we are all very different on here and wouldn't pass the time of day if we were to meet in the street.......allsorts comes to mind!
here is a classic example of a low childish comment on what we would think is an adult site!!!

Marydoll Wed 06-Jul-22 08:46:08

StarDreamer

Maximillian

It seems to me very improper to report a post but not have the courage to say openly that you have done so, the courage of your convictions. Sneaking to the teacher behind someone's back is what children do. In an adult it is traitorous, as dogsmother said.

No.

If a pupil in school is the victim of nastiness by someone who is always well-behaved when the teacher is around but is nasty when the teacher is not there, it right, proper and correct for another pupil to quietly and privately inform the teacher of the situation.

The badness is in the bullying itself, not in the reporting of it to the proper authority. That does not mean that the teacher should punish the person against whom the allegation is made just because the allegation has been made, but the teacher should at some time return to the classroom unexpectedly and catch the bully in the act.

SD, it was the use of the word grassing I objected to.
As a retired teacher and a member of the management team, I have a pretty good grasp of how to deal with bullying and the consequences of it.
What experience do you have?.