Gransnet forums

Chat

Why report so much ?

(386 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Lucca Tue 05-Jul-22 21:34:53

I am bemused by the amount of times GNetters seem to “report” other members for things which are frankly none of their business. I guess they were school snitches …
The result is the loss of longstanding members of GN through either suspension or their resignation (often due to some perceived “ganging up” aka. Disagreeing with other posters. )

Well done !

Doodledog Mon 01-Aug-22 13:14:13

So based on that, GN is not liable to prosecution unless they deliberately and knowingly encourage malicious remarks or allow them to remain online after they have been told of their existence. It is up to us to ensure that what we say breaks no laws, as it is we who are liable.

Galaxy Mon 01-Aug-22 13:14:33

Thanks doodledog.

Baggytrazzas Mon 01-Aug-22 13:23:26

Thanks Doodledog. So there we have it in our own hands -if we post items that break the law then we are personally liable, so no different really from face to face or other means of communication.

I feel that some people think that because their real names are hidden from the posts, they become invisible and so can say whatever they like. That's fine, providing its what they would say if they were face to face or posting under their own name and prepared to defend themselves if questioned. And of course we are all traceable.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Aug-22 13:54:01

That’s all very well Doodledog but when someone does make malicious posts, posts blatant lies about another person, then asks HQ to delete them and deletes their own nasty pm’s what is the target of such an attack supposed to do?
All evidence has been removed, the originator then garners support for an invented situation when the target aims to respond, it’s extremely hurtful.
None of us know the true nature of people who post under another name.

Rosie51 Mon 01-Aug-22 15:06:20

Galaxy

I think that's quite an untested area, there was a case on MN where there was a legal request for the posters details. I cant remember what happened with that one to be honest.

In the case of the only one I'm aware of, the details were given and the police interviewed the poster. No crime had been committed. No further action was taken by the police at that time, but MN banned the poster.

Doodledog Mon 01-Aug-22 15:06:52

I was just posting the legal position, not defending online malice.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Aug-22 15:31:16

I agree Doodledog and the legal information is appreciated.
From a human perspective I was just pointing out that some people are very devious, it’s worth a screen shot if you feel maligned.
Responding to the OP Lucca who posed the ‘why report’ question.

Doodledog Mon 01-Aug-22 16:03:13

I don't know what you are talking about in this case, Jaxjacky, but I am aware that anonymity can bring out the worst in people, and know (from personal experience) of just how nasty people can be online. Something very unpleasant happened to me a while ago (not on GN) and it's not something you forget. I am still quite wary as a result, and notice when people ask for things to be deleted, when they say they never report but then threaten to do it, when they disappear to get rid of an unpleasant history then return and behave exactly as before but with a clean slate - for me that sort of thing is a red flag not to trust them.

I don't think that deleting PMs will mean that GN can't read them though - there will be regular backups taken as a matter of course. All the same, I would always advise people to keep copies of dodgy PMs, just in case.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Aug-22 16:18:37

Doodledog

Galaxy Mon 01-Aug-22 17:32:46

Oh that's bad Rosie, I lost track of it at the time.