Gransnet forums

Chat

Why report so much ?

(386 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Lucca Tue 05-Jul-22 21:34:53

I am bemused by the amount of times GNetters seem to “report” other members for things which are frankly none of their business. I guess they were school snitches …
The result is the loss of longstanding members of GN through either suspension or their resignation (often due to some perceived “ganging up” aka. Disagreeing with other posters. )

Well done !

Chewbacca Thu 07-Jul-22 13:33:31

Don't know if others have ever noticed this but I've sometimes seen where a regular poster has been engaged in "heated/assertive debate" and is clearly coming off worse for wear. A new poster, never been seen before, suddenly pops on in vehement support of the antagonist and then vanishes, never to be seen again. I have an elephantine memory and can remember several "one time only" posters.

Smileless2012 Thu 07-Jul-22 13:33:34

Posting style and back story are the usual give away Casdon and GNHQ would of course only look into it if the returning banned poster is reported.

FarNorth Thu 07-Jul-22 13:33:48

MissAdventure

It's simple to set up any amount of email accounts, as this thread demonstrates.

Are you saying someone is posting on this thread under more than one name?

MissAdventure Thu 07-Jul-22 13:35:28

I don't need to say it.
They said they had set up a new account in order to come and defend themselves.
Sod all to do with me.

Chewbacca Thu 07-Jul-22 13:36:06

True Smileless2012; spelling mistakes are a dead give away!

Doodledog Thu 07-Jul-22 13:37:48

If anyone has nothing pressing to do, and would like to PM me to tell me what this thread is actually about, I will send them my (virtual) last Rolo grin.

FarNorth Thu 07-Jul-22 13:38:09

Chewbacca I have noticed that but I only remember one name, from recently.

If I look at topics that usually don't interest me, tho, there are lots of names there that I don't recognise.

FarNorth Thu 07-Jul-22 13:39:26

Oh.
I'm blissfully unaware of that MissA.

Doodledog Thu 07-Jul-22 13:41:20

Chewbacca

Don't know if others have ever noticed this but I've sometimes seen where a regular poster has been engaged in "heated/assertive debate" and is clearly coming off worse for wear. A new poster, never been seen before, suddenly pops on in vehement support of the antagonist and then vanishes, never to be seen again. I have an elephantine memory and can remember several "one time only" posters.

I am not clever enough to notice that very often, but have seen it, and know what you mean. I was getting at when the thing you describe has happened, but a new poster, never been seen before, emerges and carries on where the first one left off, as though the first one had never left.

Stephanie48 Thu 07-Jul-22 13:41:49

Doodledog

If anyone has nothing pressing to do, and would like to PM me to tell me what this thread is actually about, I will send them my (virtual) last Rolo grin.

Glad it’s not just me!

Doodledog Thu 07-Jul-22 13:48:08

Stephanie48

Doodledog

Glad it’s not just me!

No, I keep thinking I've got a handle on things, but then something is posted that makes no sense to me at all.

Now I think about it, that's the story of my life grin

Vintagejazz Thu 07-Jul-22 14:03:38

I sometimes wonder if the pile ons are a couple of posters posting under a few names.

Casdon Thu 07-Jul-22 14:05:00

Doodledog

Stephanie48

Doodledog

Glad it’s not just me!

No, I keep thinking I've got a handle on things, but then something is posted that makes no sense to me at all.

Now I think about it, that's the story of my life grin

I’m completely confused too, I think I’d better shut up as I’m out of my depth here. I just wish people weren’t so devious, I prefer the what you see is what you get approach.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Jul-22 14:10:04

Anyway, I'm off to see if I need to snitch anywhere.

I think whoever said about boris "sometimes doing nothing becomes as bad as doing sonething" was spot on.
So, people are free to put that in their collective pipes and smoke it. smile

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-Jul-22 14:20:18

Vintagejazz

I sometimes wonder if the pile ons are a couple of posters posting under a few names.

I don’t know what or who in particular this thread is about (clueless as ever). But I do remember years ago on another site noticing that one poster was always fervently backed up by another one. Until the day the puppet master forgot to change the username and it turned into one poster completely agreeing with herself. Nobody mentioned it at the time - perhaps no one else noticed - but it gave me a laugh. Strangely enough one of the two stopped posting after that…..

kircubbin2000 Thu 07-Jul-22 14:22:02

I think it's a real pity we dont have avatars here as I have no idea who anyone is or what other threads they have posted on.The addition of a little cartoon or animal makes the poster seem real and memorable and is very user friendly.

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 07-Jul-22 14:39:46

Hi all, just dropping by with an update and some background that will hopefully help to clear things up.

We're very keen for Gransnet to be a pleasant place where members can find help and support. The best way to keep things running along with minimum moderation is to use the report button to contact us in Gransnet HQ.

As a previous poster mentioned, we can't read everything that's posted on the boards, so we rely upon Gransnetters to report anything on the boards that they're worried about - whether it's spam, trolls or posts that might break the Gransnet guidelines.

We don't normally discuss specific moderation cases on the boards - it's not really fair to those involved - but I'll give some context in general terms about an ongoing moderation issue that's got a number of mentions on this thread.

Firstly, we received complaints about stalking and trolling on the boards. We got in touch with the complainants to ask for evidence to support the allegations and launched our own investigation. We assigned four senior community managers to take a thorough look, both on the boards and behind the scenes. We didn't find any substance to these claims so we asked members to stop making them on the Talk boards.

Separately, several Gransnetters brought concerns around bullying and harassment to our attention because they have been upset by the tone set on many threads and felt reluctant to post as a result.

We investigated and found that a group of posters were repeatedly breaking our guideline on 'mean-spiritedness, ganging-up behaviour and rehashing old arguments.'

We took steps to stop it by suspending the accounts of those concerned and are in contact with the suspended posters who we've asked to agree to the Gransnet guidelines if they wish to return.

As ever, our aim is to make Gransnet a fun, supportive and helpful place. Reporting any concerns about posts or posters is the best way to do this so please get in touch if you're worried about anything on the boards, we'll always take a look and respond as quickly as possible.

nanna8 Thu 07-Jul-22 14:43:51

Thanks for the update, Michael.

eazybee Thu 07-Jul-22 15:13:20

So the perceived “^ganging up” aka. Disagreeing with other posters was in fact happening and the suspension of these posters is justified.
Good.
Glad that action has been taken.

Jaxjacky Thu 07-Jul-22 15:18:14

Thanks Michael, well sorted.

Stephanie48 Thu 07-Jul-22 15:41:03

That’s very thorough, Michael - good to know.

Vintagejazz Thu 07-Jul-22 15:42:24

That sounds very clear and fair. Thanks for the update.

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Jul-22 16:59:22

Good stuff. Thank you Michael

Megs36 Thu 07-Jul-22 17:12:00

Interesting post this. Months ago I and some other posters used to ‘chat’ with an Australian gent, some banter, some jokey comments and often personal opinions this offended some people who must have reported us because he was banned for a time and I had a personal e mail from HQ. (to which I replied) .Eventually my Oz correspondent was reinstated and we carried on chatting keeping our opinions to ourselves !Sadly he was very ill and like some other posters disappeared. I’ll never really know what caused offence but now am very careful what and when I post.

Chestnut Thu 07-Jul-22 18:05:34

That is very interesting especially as no-one admits to being mean or bullying when it's mentioned. It's mostly the News & Politics board I suspect. Let's hope things calm down in future. I know for a fact there are people who are too scared to post for fear of aggressive replies, so the boards end up being one-sided viewpoints and the same posters just agreeing with each other.

I agree that an avatar would help identify posters. I am one who likes visual images so it would suit me.