Gransnet forums

Chat

Why report so much ?

(385 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Lucca Tue 05-Jul-22 21:34:53

I am bemused by the amount of times GNetters seem to “report” other members for things which are frankly none of their business. I guess they were school snitches …
The result is the loss of longstanding members of GN through either suspension or their resignation (often due to some perceived “ganging up” aka. Disagreeing with other posters. )

Well done !

Calendargirl Tue 05-Jul-22 21:37:40

I reported a post today, a blatant advertising one.

I have never reported for anything else. If I don’t like a post, I pass it by.

Casdon Tue 05-Jul-22 21:43:34

Has something specific happened Lucca? I did wonder where some of the regulars have been recently, but I haven’t seen any threads that look like they would have been reported.
I’m with you on not reporting, If you feel you have no choice
(racism would be the trigger for me) then you should have the courage to say you’re doing it on the thread - sneaky reporting is wrong.

M0nica Tue 05-Jul-22 21:51:17

I mainly report scams. But on a few occasions when someone has said something I consider it well beyond the pale, racism, insulting other members I have reported them. However I will always say that I have done so on the relevant thread

What is the alternative? That we all behave like Cabinet Ministers under Boris Johnson and never report anyone no matter how offensive or insulting their post?

I have been on GN since inception, and an active poster. I may in that time have reported 3 or 4 posts, other than scams, but as I said I always say on the thread that I have done it.

Kate1949 Tue 05-Jul-22 21:53:16

I've been on here over ten years. I've never reported anything.

MaizieD Tue 05-Jul-22 21:58:04

'Ganging up' isn't always 'disagreeing with other posters, Lucca, sometimes it is exactly like a gaggle of school children targeting a particular person. I have reported it on occasion and I make no apology for doing it. We're supposed to be mature adults, not playground bullies.

If people don't like a poster follow Calendargirl's example and pass them by.

Apart from that, I have no idea which 'longstanding members' have been 'lost' because I don't stray far from one forum...

Nannylovesshopping Tue 05-Jul-22 22:09:10

Where’s urmstangran? Has someone reported her, she is one of my fave posters. I do hope not.

Esspee Tue 05-Jul-22 22:13:45

I tend to be an early riser and often report posts which pop up overnight, usually advertising or religious nonsense. I always put “reported” on the thread.
I have been very close to reporting one member who thought that providing links validated the nonsense she was spouting. They often proved just the opposite. Thankfully she has stopped posting as some medical advice she was giving out was extremely dangerous.

SunshineSally Tue 05-Jul-22 22:20:36

I’ve never reported anyone either.

Georgesgran Tue 05-Jul-22 22:35:36

I’ve only ever reported a thread asking GN’s to follow a link, which was blatant advertising.
I think (hope) some GN’s like one in FrenchFrance read, but no longer get involved. Others have ‘retired’ from the site like Friday Girl, and a farmer who reported on her sheep and cows. No names mentioned.

VioletSky Tue 05-Jul-22 22:41:25

I get accused of reporting quite often...

I have actually reported:

1 comment I suspected belonged to an alternate account because I think it is wrong to create an account to say the mean things so that you can look innocent on your main. I was right sadly

I've reported 1 total thread. It was just one long personal attack and really awful.

I've reported one of my own comments... strange but true lol

I have no clue who was reporting.

I don't get believed saying so...

But honestly, I think often people read threads and report things they think go against guidelines and they haven't joined discussion at all so it is assumed it must be someone who has commented?

BlueBelle Tue 05-Jul-22 22:49:50

I only report scams or advertising, not people
I haven’t missed anyone ? But then I m very unobservant

Chewbacca Tue 05-Jul-22 22:55:31

Who is this referring to Lucca? Who's reported whom, for what?

I reported a very unpleasant and persistent bully and their allies a couple of years ago, and thankfully the miscreants were banned. GNHQ normally do a thorough background check before they wield the axe.

DaisyAnne Tue 05-Jul-22 22:55:51

Lucca

I am bemused by the amount of times GNetters seem to “report” other members for things which are frankly none of their business. I guess they were school snitches …
The result is the loss of longstanding members of GN through either suspension or their resignation (often due to some perceived “ganging up” aka. Disagreeing with other posters. )

Well done !

I would have thought, if the issue was a difference of opinion, half the people would think it a good thing and the other half think it bad. And, of course, the third half will either not notice or not care smile.

Smileless2012 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:03:38

I did too Chewbacca and GNHQ do take into account any relevant history if there's been a longstanding issue and the constant reporting of a particular poster is malicious.

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:13:52

I have reported a few on Facebook for being nasty bullies or just downright rude to people, but not on here.
I either scroll past, if I don't agree, or would say something if someone is being a bully or whatever other reportable offense - although that's not to say I wouldn't report them if I thought they needed it!!

Elizabeth27 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:46:45

I have never seen anything bad enough to warrant reporting.

I would assume that people are banned or suspended because of some sort of rules or guidelines rather than just because of a report.

I would imagine there are warnings given before a ban so if posters ignore those then it is their own fault if they cannot modify their behaviour.

Chestnut Tue 05-Jul-22 23:55:33

I have never reported anyone because I think people should be able to follow the thread and see for themselves who says what. Posters will condemn themselves out of their own mouths if you let them speak freely.

Doodledog Wed 06-Jul-22 00:39:50

What's occurring? Who's been reporting what?

I agree that leaving people with enough rope is the way forward, Chestnut. When posts get deleted you can't see what was said, so you have to fill in the gaps and can easily get it wrong. Obviously anything that compromises GN has to be nuked, but I remember reading a post a while ago from someone who said that she was a long-time lurker who never posted, but regularly reported other people. I was quite shocked - what motivates people like that?

I don't think people coming back under a different name is a reporting offence, VS. If someone wants to to reinvent themselves, why not? That's the nature of the Internet. 'Some posters' come back under a different name and then carry on being as mean as they did under their original name, but they trip themselves up before long - it's not easy to hide a posting style. Isn't it funny how they out themselves so quickly? ?

Lucca Wed 06-Jul-22 05:58:02

I remember reading a post a while ago from someone who said that she was a long-time lurker who never posted, but regularly reported other people. I was quite shocked - what motivates people like that?

Totally agree with this. Why would you never post ?

I’m not going into specifics obviously by the way.

BlueBelle Wed 06-Jul-22 07:06:21

You mean there’s actually people who don’t enter into easy conversations but click the report button as a hobby
Sick
I have my head in the clouds and never recognise anyones style. often I don’t even look at the name I just answer the question /problem/ observation or what have you that’s my interest not the poster I m always 6 miles behind some of the smart people on here

kittylester Wed 06-Jul-22 07:24:05

Reporting anything other than advertising or suspected tr*lls is pathetic. We are all grown ups for goodness sake. People who report are like school sneaks.

Lucca Wed 06-Jul-22 07:38:50

Thank you bluebelle and kitty, that’s my point exactly.

StarDreamer Wed 06-Jul-22 07:46:44

BlueBelle

You mean there’s actually people who don’t enter into easy conversations but click the report button as a hobby
Sick
I have my head in the clouds and never recognise anyones style. often I don’t even look at the name I just answer the question /problem/ observation or what have you that’s my interest not the poster I m always 6 miles behind some of the smart people on here

Charcterising the reporting of a post as being a hobby on the basis that the person does not himself or herself post seems to me to be unfair.

Also unfair to characterise it as 'sick'.

Posting on Gransnet is publication. The content of the post is therefore a Matter of Public Interest.

Everybody is entitled to make a complaint about a publication if he or she so chooses.

That does not mean that the complaint will necessarily be upheld.

If someone reading a post on Gransnet considers that the post is unfair, unreasonable or illegal then I consider that the person is acting properly in reporting it if the person chooses to do that.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not suggesting it is fair to report a post simply because one disagrees with a lawfully held opinion.

Curlywhirly Wed 06-Jul-22 07:47:45

I mentioned on another thread that Urmstongran is missing and I haven't seen volver comment on the political threads for a couple of days (which is unusual, though I could have just missed seeing her posts) - has there been a kerfuffle?