Gransnet forums

Chat

Strictly Come Dancing 2022

(185 Posts)
kittylester Thu 04-Aug-22 08:36:17

Well someone had to start the thread.

First celebrity was announced on Breakfast this morning.

Will Mellors - I like him!

coastalgran Sat 06-Aug-22 17:02:26

Great, absolutely love the show and have watched since series 1. Last year was the best ever. Great to see people achieve things and of course the glitter, costumes, routines and music.

Sawsage2 Sat 06-Aug-22 17:54:24

I agree with you 'gulligranny'

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Aug-22 18:15:36

SJV07

Too much spent on the outfits , make-up etc, give it to those who need it. Over done.

But I think now, probably more than ever, people need something uplifting to entertain them on mainstream TV. Strictly might even cost less to produce than some dramas, especially anything involving a lot of travel.

I didn’t know what happened to the costumes, but have just had a quick google. 400 are made every season shock, but they’re all remodelled and recycled several times into new outfits for the show and then eventually go to retailers or dance companies to extend their use even further. I thought that was quite heartwarming.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Aug-22 18:30:45

I just adore Strictly, I am normally laying on the sofa with a glass of something chilled (sometimes it’s bubbly) whilst husband cooks.

The glitz, the glamour and seeing the dancers improve week on week I do not worry if I do not know them all as I shall be better acquainted as the weeks roll on.

I also watch It Takes Two on BBC2 weeknights as I enjoy all the backstage stuff especially Vicky Gill explaining how the costumes are designed and still being altered up to the dancers going live.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 06-Aug-22 18:36:02

I love everything strictly, apart from it signifies winter is on its way, bring on the sparkle for autumn, yay!

Calendargirl Sat 06-Aug-22 18:40:01

Bill Bailey didn’t win last year, it was the year before.

I couldn’t stand him! Was sorry he won.

I like the dancing and judging, but far, far too much time spent with the couples wandering about doing a bit of dancing practice in a park or similar, Claudia yakking away to them after they’ve performed, and the dreadful bit that used to be ‘Len’s Lens’ and is now an opportunity for the judges to sashay in and re-watch dances with Claudia. And as for the videos with family, usually granny and grandad tearfully saying how proud they are of their celebrity GC….

It’s so padded out nowadays.

Sorry if I sound a misery, but a shorter, tighter show would be better, IMHO.

Joseanne Sat 06-Aug-22 18:40:29

Thats interesting about the dresses Maggiemaybe. I guess the BBC must have a costume department and skilful seamstresses who can adapt and alter some of the frocks used on former shows.
As an aside my DGodD was in 42nd Street and had over 20 costume changes in the one show.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 06-Aug-22 19:51:47

If anyone’s interested there is a programme on BBC4 just about to show an episode from the last series of Strictly. It’s the one with Gio and Roses couples choice. I’m watching for sure.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 06-Aug-22 19:52:03

Just about to start I meant.

kevincharley Sat 06-Aug-22 22:05:40

After the first two were announced I have betted (no money involved!) that Will Mellor will win.

Shame I no longer like the programme. Too little dancing, too much filler.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 06-Aug-22 22:13:27

kevincharley

After the first two were announced I have betted (no money involved!) that Will Mellor will win.

Shame I no longer like the programme. Too little dancing, too much filler.

Bit difficult to make that decision when we don’t even know the rest of the contenders. Let alone seen them dance.

DanniRae Sun 07-Aug-22 07:48:42

Love the show ... always have! BUT I am away on holiday in September for 1 week and really hope I don't miss the start hmm

DeeDe Sun 07-Aug-22 09:23:42

Ooo When does it start?

LadyGracie Sun 07-Aug-22 09:34:52

I enjoy the dancing, I record it and just watch the dancing and fast forward the gushing.

Kate1949 Sun 07-Aug-22 09:42:55

Ellie Simmonds has joined up.

Jane43 Sun 07-Aug-22 09:45:39

I’m looking forward to it too, it doesn’t matter to me if they have minor celebrities as contestants as it’s so much more: the dancing, the music, the costumes and makeup. I have no problem with Richie who is from our neck of the woods and a West Brom fan too, I think Claudia has a great sense of humor, she doesn’t take herself too seriously whereas Tess does seem to - a friend went to Strictly and was seated behind Tess who apparently ate a lot of Polo mints but only a half at a time. I also love to talk about the show with my sister-in-law when we call her on Tuesdays. I can’t wait for it to begin and those who don’t like it can watch something else.

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 09:53:00

Kate1949

Ellie Simmonds has joined up.

That's good. She looks as though she is up to a challenge and seems very nice.

HurdyGurdy Sun 07-Aug-22 10:23:56

I wonder how her professional will overcome the challenge of Ellie's height. They are usually very creative so it will be interesting to see.

Ellie always seems to be a lovely person when interviewed. I will be rooting for her

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Aug-22 10:52:08

I am also a fan of Strictly. Usually I know only 2 or 3 "celebrities" but this year to date the only two I have never heard of are Jayde and Richie but no doubt I will over time.

It is padded out too much but that is when I make myself another cup of coffee or take a trip to the loo. I do enjoy Saturday evenings when it starts. I would be happy for Claudia to take a one-way ticket anywhere and for the two female members on the panel to be replaced. I do like Craig and Anton.

Kate1949 Sun 07-Aug-22 10:54:13

I agree re Claudia. She thinks she's so funny. She's not.

DanniRae Sun 07-Aug-22 11:00:35

I agree about Claudia too but my family love her and dislike Tess. I don't mind Tess - she does the job she is there for and does it well!

kittylester Sun 07-Aug-22 12:53:21

I really live Claudia - she makes me laugh.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Aug-22 13:04:38

Another vote for Claudia, she doesn’t take herself seriously and makes me giggle.

gransruleok Sun 07-Aug-22 14:47:15

Oh, I must put in a good word for Ritchie, I for one think he’s great. Always cheery and well informed. Never screeches like the dreaded Zoe Ball.

Pittcity Sun 07-Aug-22 17:47:19

gransruleok

Oh, I must put in a good word for Ritchie, I for one think he’s great. Always cheery and well informed. Never screeches like the dreaded Zoe Ball.

I agree.
Richie often reports for The One Show and seems to be game for anything.

I loved Alma's Not Normal starring Jayde too.