Gransnet forums

Chat

Strictly Come Dancing 2022

(185 Posts)
kittylester Thu 04-Aug-22 08:36:17

Well someone had to start the thread.

First celebrity was announced on Breakfast this morning.

Will Mellors - I like him!

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 12:16:26

Millie22

? Looking forward to it but it does always mean we are nearing the end of summer.

I love it as it heralds the most wonderful season (Autumn) and the count down to C******!

The traffic bloke thing is a bit dreary.
I’ve haven’t heard of Jayde Addams either, and I’m usually quite up on celeb nonsense.
Kaye Adams isn’t exactly a ray of sunshine.
I suppose that they are running out of Loose Women…
Carol McGiffin would be amazing! ?

Gabrielle56 Sat 06-Aug-22 12:17:05

Let's be honest , a bit greedy to hog both shows! Anton more than capable of judging and giving great advice, love him!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 06-Aug-22 12:27:44

I always say I won’t bother this year. Never know more than one or two of the “celebrities” and yet somehow I get dragged into watching it. Always enjoy watching Giovanni though, both for his looks and his imaginative choreography, so, as always I’ll probably watch.
Can’t bear the thought if it being the run up to Christmas though ?

missdeke Sat 06-Aug-22 12:38:44

HannahLoisLuke

I always say I won’t bother this year. Never know more than one or two of the “celebrities” and yet somehow I get dragged into watching it. Always enjoy watching Giovanni though, both for his looks and his imaginative choreography, so, as always I’ll probably watch.
Can’t bear the thought if it being the run up to Christmas though ?

Me too, every year! But then I catch a bit by mistake and that's it my Saturday nights are locked in for the next few months! I do love it when the unexpected celeb wins though, not so keen on the ones who were already dance trained.

joannapiano Sat 06-Aug-22 12:42:11

Apart from Will Mellors,whose face I recognise, I don’t know any of the new contestants. I watch it for the wonderful live band.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Aug-22 12:44:47

There are rumours about Scarlett Moffat taking part.
I think that she may have a dance background

GreenGran78 Sat 06-Aug-22 12:49:27

I like the dancing, but some of the judges are so full of themselves. Likewise the female presenters, especially 'her with the fringe' who makes me want to throw things at the screen (especially at those stupid shampoo ads!)

I watched some of the last series when I realised that Bill Bailey was a contestant...and didn't he do well! Such a funny and talented man.

I don't watch a lot of tv, and often don't know who the Celebrities are. I will probably catch the first few programmes and see if I take to it, or not.

GrandmasueUK Sat 06-Aug-22 12:51:40

Jayde Adams was on a comedy series called ‘Alma’s Not Normal’ with Sophie Willan, which we loved, but it’s not to everyone’s taste. I’ve seen her on Richard Osman’s House of Games as well. We think she’s very funny. On the other hand I do hope Scarlett Moffat isn’t taking part. She’s been pushing for it for a long time though.

Theoddbird Sat 06-Aug-22 12:53:34

Have to say that I have never heard of him. I like Kim Marsh. ?

Joane123 Sat 06-Aug-22 12:54:52

So looking forward to the programme. Can't wait.
(never quite got over Adam Peaty being voted off though! smile )

GrandmasueUK Sat 06-Aug-22 12:55:03

joannapiano

Apart from Will Mellors,whose face I recognise, I don’t know any of the new contestants. I watch it for the wonderful live band.

We like to watch for Trevor Barry, the Man in the Hat, who waves behind Dave Arch. And we wave back too ?

kittylester Sat 06-Aug-22 12:58:07

Thank you kate.

People dissing it are better than someone's mum trying to make us vote for her daughter - but not much.

I son's understand why it is necessary to comment if it's of no interest to you.

This is a great thread every year - let's keep it that way. And I've had my annual moan about Suzanna Reid's mum. grin

Ilikeflowers Sat 06-Aug-22 12:59:51

One of my favourite programmes. Glad Anton is on the judging panel. But will I know any of the 'celebrities'? Will Mellor- yes, Kym Marsh - girl band singer and morning show co-host.
Winkelman leaving - would be good, but I'm on the fence about Tess. Perhaps we could have someone who really knows about dancing as a replacement, rather like Bruce did. Ah, whatever happened to all round entertainers????????????

Otis Sat 06-Aug-22 13:00:09

Grandmadinosaur

Yes that’s a good start I like him too. I also saw that Kym Marsh has been announced too. I can take or leave her.

I’m just hoping a certain travel announcer on Radio 2 isn’t a contestant despite the constant pushing and gushing by Zoe Ball.

I'm afraid that certain travel announcer IS going to be in strictly this year !!

rowyn Sat 06-Aug-22 13:01:41

Oh no - like Grandmadinosaur I'm another dinosaur that cannot stand Zoe Ball - if I put on a radio or TV programme and find she is on it, I have to put it off. I'd like to explain why, but it probably wouldn't be printable.

However, I do very much look forward to Strictly. There's so little to look forward to these days - so much gloom ,doom, anxiety and concern about looming threats, that it's one small thing to enjoy.

Bea65 Sat 06-Aug-22 13:21:58

kittylester stepping out now...was just browsing..grin

bridie54 Sat 06-Aug-22 13:23:44

Love Strictly.
Don’t care who’s dancing whether I know them or not.
Don’t like that some have previous dance experience however much they protest that it doesn’t help.
Just like the glitz snd lightheartedness fir a Saturday night. I avoid all the gossipy stuff do never worry about leaks for who’s voted off.
Bring it on.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 06-Aug-22 13:28:30

Yes otis and robyn my worst fears ?

I absolutely know I won’t change my mind over him but I agree there are celebs on it you don’t know much about but they win you over. In that respect the best one for me was Joe Sugg. Loved him and Diane.

SJV07 Sat 06-Aug-22 13:59:59

Dislike it totally, and it goes on for far too long!!

jerseygirl Sat 06-Aug-22 14:05:47

I like Richie Anderson. He will be in a same sex couple. I hope he's partnered with Johannus. I love him even though this is probably not how you spell his name!!

SJV07 Sat 06-Aug-22 14:08:26

Too much spent on the outfits , make-up etc, give it to those who need it. Over done.

Dinahmo Sat 06-Aug-22 14:23:02

Amalegra

Another reason for me not to watch Saturday evening TV on the BBC! No real celebrities here but anyone who shows their face on television in whatever capacity gets presented as one! Thank heavens for the choice of channels we now have and can’t wait for the BBC to become subscription only, as it should be, and rid us of being forced to subsidise channels/‘entertainment’ many people never watch!

There re 4 BBC channels to chose from - perhaps you don't know that and there is a wide variety of programmes to chose from. Plenty of culture if that's what you're after.

As for subscription channels they are losing revenue because of subscription cancellations. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I have often gone through the lists and not found anything that I want to watch. Luckily I can always find something on IPlayer (when my VPN is working)

Thanks Kittylester for starting this thread. I was thinking earlier in the week that it will soon be time for the Strictly announcements to come out. My DH and I are great dance fans and enjoy watching all types of dance.

I'm sorry that Aljaz and Oti won't be in it but am hoping that Giovanni will be.

Lizzie44 Sat 06-Aug-22 15:48:50

Love Strictly - the only celebrity show I watch. Last year was one of the best with Bill Bailey brilliant throughout. The downside of Strictly is knowing that it's nearly Christmas when the competition ends. I and DD were in the Strictly audience in November 2017. It was the evening that Susan Calman and Kevin Clifton were voted off and it was Shirley Ballas's first year as head judge. Debbie McGee was a favourite that year but the eventual winners were Joe McFaden and Katya Jones. Fascinating to see how the show is put together. We saw Ed Sheeran and his performance was being recorded for inclusion in a Strictly to be televised in December. In recent years, I have barely heard of many of the "celebrity" contestants. I'd like to see Scarlet Moffatt in it. I saw her in a programme earlier this year about a pilgrimage to the Scottish Isles, and recently in a programme about Tourettes. She seems a lovely person and very genuine.

Millie22 Sat 06-Aug-22 16:53:40

Fanny
I love autumn too ???

I'm sure Scarlett Moffatt would do well as she seems quite likeable but I'm not sure she would actually be any good at dancing.

Elizabeth27 Sat 06-Aug-22 16:59:15

GrandmasueUK Thank you for posting what Jayde Adams was in, it has been bugging me all day. I thought she was good in Alma's no Normal, I wasn't impressed with her as a comedian.