Gransnet forums

Chat

Room 101

(124 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 05-Aug-22 07:07:46

I m sure this has been done before but hey ho let’s do it again
What’s your Room 101?
I have a great hatred for squeezy bottles of things (tomato sauce/ mayonnaise etc) at the moment I am fighting with the latter it will not drip down but all sits ‘up in the bottom’
So the ‘thing’ is sitting upside down (as it’s made to) but the mayonnaise is sitting in the bottom which is on the top
Get your head round that
So I have to take the top off ( which is at the bottom) try and squeeze the stuff down or keep the top on and bang it or get the knife out to scrape it but then you can’t get in the corners and miss half of it
Grrrrrrr
How about you ?

Auntieflo Sun 07-Aug-22 12:10:46

The advertising sites that you want to just flick through, but keep getting a "want to CHAT ?". No, I don't, but it won't go away.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 12:11:20

Call centre scripts that are the same every time one rings them.

One company has one that begins,

> Can I start by taking your name!

I use an exclamation mark rather than a question mark deliberately because of the way it is said.

CamPAnn Sun 07-Aug-22 12:16:31

Am I allowed to say it is people who quote sayings incorrectly such as “get on my goat” rather than “get my goat”, AND those who are critical of others well meant posts!

nanna8 Sun 07-Aug-22 12:25:03

Graffiti. Some seem to love it in Melbourne and take people on tours . Personally I think all of it is rubbish and they should be forced to clean up after themselves. What a lovely surprise to visit Adelaide and see clean streets.

TiggyW Sun 07-Aug-22 12:29:27

Here are just a few!
Rylan Clark-Neal
The expression ‘absolutely’
Trout pouts
Advertisements
The expression ‘take care’ (Why wouldn’t I unless I have a death wish???)
Leggings?
Beach holidays
Radio One
Jimmy Carr
Oasis

grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Aug-22 12:41:09

Regarding squeezy bottles: regardless of which end they are meant to stand on, as they become emptier and what is left in them persists in sitting obstinately in the opposite end to that which it is meant to come out of, do the following:

Keeping the lid firmly on, upend the bottle into a glass or bowl of a diameter that is only slightly larger than the bottle.

Do this when setting the table, preferably quarter of an hour before you want the condiment out of the bottle.

It (said condiment) should then gradually slide down the bottle to the operative end = the nozzle.

If this does not solve the problem, I cut these wretched plastic bottles open, using a strong pair of kitchen scissors or a knife to puncture and then cut the bottle.

This is a battle and a half in itself.

Then using a kitchen scraper, I scrape the condiment out into a fridge dish or jar with a screw top lid, which is far easier to get the stuff out of. If the lid is properly on the mayonnaise, ketchup or whatever it is will keep in the fridge while you are using it up.

Jess20 Sun 07-Aug-22 12:42:31

Room 101 - all those Tory party members who applaud Boris and think the two contenders actually have good workable ideas.

albertina Sun 07-Aug-22 12:47:12

Terrified of moths and butterflies. Sounds mad, but there it is.

When my children were small I did everything I could to hide my fear from them, even taking them to the local Butterfly farm when we lived in Devon. Butterflies the size of dinner plates swooped about and I kept a fixed grin on my face !

LovelyLady Sun 07-Aug-22 12:48:11

Into room 101:-
•Dust in my house.
•Schools that close before 4pm
•Those who constantly interrupt others when speaking.
•Teachers who don’t dress professionally.
•Americanising our vocabulary.
•Botox.
•Those who speak whilst eating.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 07-Aug-22 12:53:54

Mapleleaf

The word “unprecedented” - bandied about all the time theses days.

That would drive me mad too.

In Danish the equivalent right now amongst journalists is the misuse of "historic". It is being used to describe what could truly be described as "unprecedented" - things such as Maersk's profit for the first six months of this year, which is greater than they or and other Danish company has ever had.

I am certain the other pedants will agree that just because no-one has ever made such a profit before does not make it historic.

Actually, some historian of economics ought to come along and point out that it is extremely difficult to make historical comparisons in money matters, as depending on how you equate prices a century or five ago with modern day prices (or profits) you get totally different figures to compare with modern ones, depending on the methods for evaluating the value of money in the past that you use.

Alioop Sun 07-Aug-22 13:00:08

pascal30 I will go on the hunt for one. Many thanks

riete Sun 07-Aug-22 13:22:44

pascal30

Alioop... I have an amazing tool, from any hardware shop, which helps open all those bottles. really recommend getting one

pascal can you show us a picture, or give a description, so we know what we're looking for?
thanks

Camelotclub Sun 07-Aug-22 13:26:55

The incorrect use of 'literally'

"I literally exploded. I literally fell to pieces."

It's lost all meaning.

Camelotclub Sun 07-Aug-22 13:27:51

And "iconic"

Everything is bloody "iconic" !

Usernametaken Sun 07-Aug-22 13:36:32

Starting every sentence with the word “So”. Nearly every young contestant on The Chase seen to do it.

People on property shows who enter a room and say wow, I could scream.

The new sponsors of Emmerdale, the people on it ask the most stupid questions.

riete Sun 07-Aug-22 13:37:38

sundowngirl

Child proof lids - why can't we buy bottles with senior friendly lids?
Wokery
Littering
The idea that there are over a hundred different genders currently being being taught in schools - stop indoctrinating our children!
The protesting idiots that block the roads/airports etc who stop the rest of us getting on with our lives
Companies still using Covid as an excuse for poor service
Spiders!

the gender issue. actually the indoctrination is that there are only two genders, and the attempt is aimed at preventing so many youngsters having so many years of their lives ruined by the prejudices of the few/"too many". also of course to help the youngsters of the past, who've spent so many many years hiding themselves to conform to the prejudices.

also the protestors you scorn are mostly just trying to protect your rights (which are being so badly eroded right now.

narrowboatnan Sun 07-Aug-22 13:39:25

Wokery
People whose faces are so full of Botox that they can barely change their expression
Teeth that have been whitened so much that the smile neatly dazzles you

BlueBelle Sun 07-Aug-22 13:45:50

Narrowboatman you need sunglasses on when Rylan of the very very very black hair smiles
I d like to put TV dramas that have a very important piece of info on a phone or card at a prime point if the murder and you cannot read it It’s so frustrating why they can’t include it in the subtitles I ve no idea Don’t help us poor sighted folk one bit

pascal30 Sun 07-Aug-22 13:54:48

It has a circular top, which has various cut outs which open up with scissor like handles. It will open jam jars, down to bleach bottles. Sorry not be able to show a photo, but it's probably called bottle clench.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 07-Aug-22 14:14:49

Plastic white teeth (they can't be natural) all so straight the person who has them has lost most of their personality. Wokery
and 'lazy' speech. (togever) bu-i-ful, etc

Rosina Sun 07-Aug-22 14:16:44

'Wow' now makes my scalp tingle - overused and irritating.
The trend for every young woman to have ferociously scraped back hair, fierce eyebrows, ridiculous false lashes, fat lips and white day glo plastic teeth.
Strangers to soap and deodorant in this weather.

polly123 Sun 07-Aug-22 14:18:34

Americanisms, packaging generally, Liz Truss and the rest, wasps,wokery and cancel culture, the word 'amazing' as in 'have a amazing day, adverts, loud people...and I could go on.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 07-Aug-22 14:18:38

Alioop

Any bottles that you have to squeeze the lids in at the sides and then push down to open, like some bleach bottles, Toilet Duck bottles, etc. I know it's so children can't open them, but I'm 56 years old and can't open the darn things either.

For child-proof lids of any kind (and for any computer problems, of course), what you need is a 3-year-old, who should be able to help with no trouble.

Auntieflo Sun 07-Aug-22 14:19:43

One of these?

icanhandthemback Sun 07-Aug-22 14:20:20

The cancellation culture unless it is for something criminal rather than a difference of opinion.
Vodafone Internet service...it is being a real pain.
Unkind people.

I didn't think you were unkind, FannyCornforth, and love the fact that despite your pedantry you are joining in with the spirit of the thread.