Gransnet forums

Chat

For all the Boris fans out there!

(116 Posts)
grannydarkhair Sat 06-Aug-22 00:38:09

I wonder how long he practiced for this ?

twitter.com/rupertmyers/status/1555507898763075586?s=21&t=dzab_PquDwtXwpNfZ5mLqw

Dickens Sun 07-Aug-22 15:24:21

Joseanne

Didn't Prince William get criticised for his dad dancing too? It happens to them all.
Ed Balls really improved his footwork on Strictly!

... yes - William did!

I had a relative whose dancing style was a cross between 'The Twist' and the 'Cossack' improvised school of dance (regardless of what genre of music was being played). I've never seen anything like it. Thing is, just about every time he got to the 'Cossack' bit, he fell over whereupon he would get up and Twist-again-like-we-did-last-summer until he'd regained his equilibrium, and then repeat the cycle. Because he was so clumsy, no-one dared take to the dance-floor (or the living-room floor) and he took this as a sign that his moves were entertaining. Which they were, but not in the way he thought.

Dad-dancing by comparison is a work of art grin.

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 15:33:42

Crikey, he sounds like a liability Dickens, but funny!

Prentice Sun 07-Aug-22 15:39:23

Dickens

Glorianny

Not a Boris fan but really can't see why it matters where, or how, he dances

Me neither.

Remember the roasting Theresa May got for her effort, too?

I'm reminded of a retort that Angela Merkel made to a reporter who (rather rudely I thought) asked her whey she dressed so 'plainly' (or words to that effect). She replied, "I'm a politician, not a fashion model".

You get the drift.

Neither Johnson nor May should be expected to perform like professionals from Strictly. It's just unfortunate that sometimes they are faced with situations where they have to take part in such 'rituals' and I don't think it's fair to mock them for it.

Johnson is as Johnson does - same with May.

I do agree with you on this, whoever the politician it is their private life and if they enjoy a little clowning around or dad dancing at their own or another’s wedding reception then so what.I do Mum dancing or rather Grandma dancing every day around the kitchen to the radio.Friends and family see me do it, I don’t care at all. Am a large lady and it keeps me fit and I enjoy it.
I think a few replies to this matter are mean spirited really, but most are sensible comments thankfully.

Glorianny Sun 07-Aug-22 22:30:02

Prentice

Dickens

Glorianny

Not a Boris fan but really can't see why it matters where, or how, he dances

Me neither.

Remember the roasting Theresa May got for her effort, too?

I'm reminded of a retort that Angela Merkel made to a reporter who (rather rudely I thought) asked her whey she dressed so 'plainly' (or words to that effect). She replied, "I'm a politician, not a fashion model".

You get the drift.

Neither Johnson nor May should be expected to perform like professionals from Strictly. It's just unfortunate that sometimes they are faced with situations where they have to take part in such 'rituals' and I don't think it's fair to mock them for it.

Johnson is as Johnson does - same with May.

I do agree with you on this, whoever the politician it is their private life and if they enjoy a little clowning around or dad dancing at their own or another’s wedding reception then so what.I do Mum dancing or rather Grandma dancing every day around the kitchen to the radio.Friends and family see me do it, I don’t care at all. Am a large lady and it keeps me fit and I enjoy it.
I think a few replies to this matter are mean spirited really, but most are sensible comments thankfully.

I think the problem with TM was she tried to do it at a party conference. Big mistake!

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Aug-22 08:29:24

Iam64

It’s all about him, though isn’t it. Yet another incident to confirm this

Yes Iam, definitely- and the "no-contact" with his wife and child was strangely difficult to watch - especially as a "first dance" As FannyCornforth, I too felt sorry for Carrie.

I don't think his dancing skills are what made this little video a strange and uncomfortable watch.

vegansrock Mon 08-Aug-22 08:31:16

Looked like a dad at his daughters wedding.

Dickens Wed 10-Aug-22 07:29:46

NotSpaghetti

Iam64

It’s all about him, though isn’t it. Yet another incident to confirm this

Yes Iam, definitely- and the "no-contact" with his wife and child was strangely difficult to watch - especially as a "first dance" As FannyCornforth, I too felt sorry for Carrie.

I don't think his dancing skills are what made this little video a strange and uncomfortable watch.

He's probably not a demonstrative man. Some men (and women) just aren't.

I'm not making any excuses for him, I cannot abide him - I find the less I know about his personal life, the better, because it seems to 'fit' with his self-serving political career - but I try to be objective, and I'm not sure he (or any other politician) should be under scrutiny in the private sphere of his / their life. Nor do I think he's obliged to tell us how many children he's fathered.

I'm sure Carrie knows her man - and he, her. So I don't feel in any way sorry for her. She, like the rest of us, made her choices. I'm also mindful of the fact that when there are children involved and we are speculating about a politician's private life, it may be uncomfortable or even painful some time in the future for them to read (if they do) some of the more hostile and harsh comments and observations about their parents that will remain on the 'net and could surface due to a simple bit of googling...

Joseanne Wed 10-Aug-22 10:12:06

That's a very insightful post Dickens touching on the personal side of things.
When one has a position in the public eye that automatically brings criticism which is often cruel - like making fun of their weight, hair, lazy eye, big nose etc. Like unnecessary observations about the value of the house they live in or the car they drive. It then spills into their private life with more hostile comments about their sexual behaviour. It's no one else's business and it shouldn't really come as part of the job.
And it hurts other family members too. It isn't easy for any child to hear of their parents being harshly unfairly criticised by those who don't know much about the circumstances. I do have sympathy for anyone.

maddyone Wed 10-Aug-22 11:15:44

I agree with both of your posts Dickens and Joseanne. It’s really none of our business how BJ danced at his wedding/ anniversary reception and I think whoever filmed him and put it out on social media has acted in very bad form. Dislike of certain politicians, and BJ is one of them, but there are others, has lead to some extremely judgemental and unpleasant posts on social media, and I include Gransnet in that. It’s really not our business how many children a person in the public eye has got, nor is it our business where he does or doesn’t get his hair cut or how he combs it. Judgement should be reserved for what happens in a person’s public role, not his private life.

NotSpaghetti Wed 10-Aug-22 11:53:39

Dickens my post was objective. In what way did you think it wasn't please?

And Maddyone - I do hope you aren't implying I was judging Johnson's personal life.

As I said. I simply found the lack of contact in this situation "difficult to watch".

Petera Wed 10-Aug-22 12:02:11

Beckett

Let's face it - no matter what Boris does some people will find a way to denigrate him for it - I imagine if it were revealed he had donated a kidney some would be saying they feel sorry for the person who now carried part of Boris around!

Get back to us when he donates a kidney. But only if it's one of his own and not provided by a conservative backer.

Dickens Wed 10-Aug-22 13:47:12

NotSpaghetti

Dickens my post was objective. In what way did you think it wasn't please?

And Maddyone - I do hope you aren't implying I was judging Johnson's personal life.

As I said. I simply found the lack of contact in this situation "difficult to watch".

I was not aiming my comments at you personally, just generalising.

maddyone Wed 10-Aug-22 17:57:43

Me too, not aiming my comments at anyone in particular, except at the beginning where I agreed with two posters. The other comments were generalising.

NotSpaghetti Thu 11-Aug-22 11:24:43

I apologise then Maddy and Dickens.
I assumed it was about my comments as I was quoted.
Sorry,

maddyone Thu 11-Aug-22 12:03:03

NotSpaghettismile