Gransnet forums

Chat

Were you a disappointment to your parents ?

(213 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 09-Aug-22 21:50:04

I am sure I was . I did not go on to further education though given plenty of encouragement to do so . I started work in a bank , at that time it was unusual to spend 5 years in high school and do so , and I must admit was was happy there. My mother would at times ask if I would not like to go and get a " real job " like training to be a nurse which she did . I only once tried to get another job which came with training but did not get it . I think that thing that I did that made my mother happy was to produce her two grandchildren whome she doted on . At least neat the end of her life she said that she was sorry she had not been good to her own mother but I had been good to her.

Gabrielle56 Tue 16-Aug-22 09:19:02

VioletSky

As a person who estranged after I explained exactly what behaviours were hurting me and then offered joint counselling only for my mother to laugh in my face...

The reason I know she still "wonders" is because despite all the ways I variously block her, she sets up new profiles on things to occasionally pop up and tell me what a cruel horrible person I am and how she doesn't understand why I would estrange her...

It's a narcissist thing from what I have learned, they victimise others while seeing themselves as the real victim because they can't handle having their own bad behaviour pointed out and just think you are mean for doing it.

I 100% agree with you on this and I'M the estranged mother!! I took ages to get my thick head around the reason-and it was mostly ME! Thanks for putting this into words , it's so true and quite cathartic to hear someone else iterate the truth that my DS knew all along but I was too inward facing to see!

vampirequeen Tue 16-Aug-22 09:40:38

Yes. I was supposed to be a boy and they never really forgave me.

Keffie12 Sun 21-Aug-22 11:41:42

Yes! Too complex and long to go into. There are three truthes that underpin my childhood.

They are, the reasons for my birth: to look after mom in her old age. As my late father was 13 years older than my mom and so were her family. My grandma was 44 when mom was born.

Then there is the matter of the my two half brothers on my father side who were kept from me until I was 35.

My late father was abusive as well. Mom couldn't leave him because of her upbringing. Ladies do not do that. Most certainly not with a child.

Consequently, I was fearful, sensitive child who didn't feel I fitted. As I got older I acted out. I didn't follow the family line. Its called Family Secrets: what you don't know can hurt you.

I recreated my childhood in adulthood. I was 40 before we finally fled. We walked the fires of hell with the aftermath.

Only then I started to get the help I didn't know I needed.

I did/do love my late mom very much. My father died when I was 18. No loss.

So no I didn't live up to what was expected of me and its no surprise now I look back.

I have a good life today. Over thr last 20 years I have found the peace and serenity I didn't know I needed and happily remarried

VioletSky Sun 21-Aug-22 11:49:52

Gabrielle56 it's a lot to take fully onto your shoulders, I wasn't perfect either but I did want to fix the relationship and I did take responsibility for my own faults too, still am now.

Were you able to reconcile?

choosingjoy Mon 22-Aug-22 00:24:32

My parents were good people who loved me and my sister and took care of us well. My dad died when I was a young child; yes, things changed for all of us and very much affected the way our mom was toward us. Her life hadn't been very easy before my dad's death; it was far more difficult to carry some of those burdens as a grieving widow with two children who didn't ever (and would never) quite measure up to her vision, the neighbors', the children of family friends, etc. (No, my sister and I were not resilient enough to deal with this in healthy ways; but, as a parent, I can't even imagine how hard all must have been for my mom.) But, she encouraged us--smart, kind women who are good people but not excessively impressive at anything except being ourselves--supported us; prayed for us; taught us good things; formed us into responsible; contributing people; provided the best she could; forgave us; loved us and loved our husbands and children. She was affectionate with us, faithful, kind about me living far away, thoughtful, and concerned. It was just unfortunate and confusing--and crushing--that every couple of years or whenever she could possibly work it into conversation, she would say quite seriously and so sincerely say, "If I had it all to over again, I never would've had children".

AussieGran59 Mon 22-Aug-22 05:38:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EBear Mon 22-Aug-22 08:44:32

Oh VioletSky I too have that voice in my head. I was a constant disappointment to my mother her constantly saying ‘you’re only here because your father wanted you’ . I have a lovely family who know how much I love them and how wanted they were.

icanhandthemback Mon 22-Aug-22 09:49:34

AussieGran59, I have no words but I am incensed on your behalf. flowers

VioletSky Mon 22-Aug-22 12:11:47

EBear I'm so sorry keep fighting it

Aussiegran I think my mother knew, I can't prove it in my case. But you deserved so much better and she should have gone to prison for that.

watermeadow Mon 22-Aug-22 14:19:17

My mother had to be more perfect than anyone else. She was critical and sarcastic about everyone else’s shortcomings and I always felt I was a disappointment to her. I talked late so was stupid. I had straight hair and a squint so was plain.
I married the wrong man and our children were not geniuses or wonderfully gifted so they were a disappointment to her too.

Lucca Mon 22-Aug-22 14:33:39

Disappointment to
Myself !

Lyng17 Sat 27-Aug-22 21:37:26

Taichinan

My mother told me that she didn't want another child, was pleased when she thought she'd had a miscarriage and was really fed up when she discovered she was still pregnant after all!!! I didn't stand a chance! Nothing I did was ever good enough - though she relented a bit when I "married well". I never felt close to her for some reason wink.

Mine too. She already had a boy and a girl and I came along and ruined it. She told me she had tried gin, hot baths and all sorts to try and get rid of me.
The only time I was ever praised was when I passed the 11+ and she could tell the family and neighbours. That novelty soon wore off though.