Gransnet forums

Chat

Blinds

(58 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 13:37:17

I need some help, please.

My to do list is going to include, probably, vertical blinds. (Not everyone's choice, I know)

My living room is starting to look quite dingy; the wood furniture has become dark, and the colours are quite rich.

So, any suggestions of a colour for the blinds?

I had thought of just white, with white flimsy sort of curtains, too, but I'm worried they may show every mark that they'll inevitably get.

Now I'm thinking of a bamboo type, woody looking colour.

Then I could (but don't want to) whitewash the furniture.

Any suggestions?

icanhandthemback Thu 11-Aug-22 10:14:13

Sago

Red would be very harsh, if you choose white or an off hate cream it will not compete with the curtains.

Or vibrant if you like things brighter. smile

I once fitted out a suite with vertical blinds and chose three colours - white, silver and navy.

I'd love that. I can imagine it would look stunning. I'm not sure why Blind sellers don't do more of this.

When we had our blinds fitted, the chap told us of a client who had bought a different colour for each room.
Fine, until you looked at the house from outside.....

That wouldn't bother me. I spend moments pulling up in the drive and then I can only go in a single room at a time but they are in the colour ways I want them. The only other people I would be trying to please are the neighbours who are free to do what they want to their houses and I won't judge them.

Spinnaker Thu 11-Aug-22 10:19:24

MissAdventure

That does sound really good.
My flat is very.. erm.. rustic, I suppose you could say.
I'm not sure it could carry off something so smart.
Now I'm thinking of colour combinations!

It'll be like an acid trip in my living room if I'm not careful! smile

Sorry I didn't respond earlierMissA - I nodded off !

Just a suggestion, going on your rustic theme how about a blend of palest sage green/cream/deep wine red. Or, palest lemon/cream/deep olive green ?

It's always difficult getting furnishing colours right I find and I don't have a natural artistic flair, more's the pity smile

nadateturbe Thu 11-Aug-22 10:40:54

I have louvre blinds upstairs and venetian downstairs. I don't care what it looks like outside.
MissAdventure venetian blinds do get dusty, so more work. We had cream coloured louvre downstairs for a few years They didn't get dirty or discoloured.

Maria59 Thu 11-Aug-22 11:09:32

MissAdventure they are good for dimming as we have large 1960s windows. I chose them as they are narrower I can put things on windowsill

Spice101 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:38:06

I had vertical blinds for years and found them good. They did get dirty and I cleaned them a few times per year. I now have plantation shutters and love them. Easy to clean - mine have a gloss finish and it is just a matter of running a duster over them every now and again. They don't need cleaning any more than the verticals and are easier to clean.

Whatever you decide colour wise will of course be dictated by what is available. Not sure if you can still get them but there used to be verticals with a subdued pattern in a different colour. This made them somewhat less office like.

NotSpaghetti Thu 11-Aug-22 17:03:35

Gold-ish maybe? To go both with the rug and the sage colour?
A gold that's sunny but not too loud.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 17:54:10

Oh now, I like the sound of that.
Goldish.
smile