Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you wear at home in this hot weather?

(184 Posts)
Bazza Wed 10-Aug-22 14:23:30

I’m asking what you put on when you know that you’re not going out and no one is coming round! I have four loose midi cotton dresses with thin straps, and that’s it. No underwear, just one garment. A clean one every day, but it’s certainly cut down on the washing. It’s not a pretty sight but I’m as cool as is possible. I also keep a spray bottle in the fridge full of water and some 4711 cologne, remember that? Spray face and arms. Cold shower before bed and no nightie.

LadyGracie Thu 11-Aug-22 07:29:47

A loose dress

Allsorts Thu 11-Aug-22 07:37:26

MiniMoon

Today I'm wearing light linen trousers and a cotton blouse. I could not go without bra and panties though, hot flushes are really uncomfortable without my bra.

In summer mini short dress to keep cool or shorts and vest top, in winter joggers and sweatshirt or leggings and big jumper.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 07:40:47

My giant teabag will be going back on this morning.

Esspee Thu 11-Aug-22 08:52:28

Bazza

Esspee, is that all?!

I do have a smile on my face.

Ailidh Thu 11-Aug-22 09:05:32

MissAdventure

Ooh, it used to be quite a "thing".
Charlie's showing, or something we used to say if you saw a hint of half slip below someone's skirt!

Ha! Ironically, the USP for my online-purchased waist slip was that a ruffle Would show below the hemline.....

Might try that when I segue into autumn skirts. Under a linen frock it looks damn silly, I tried ?

Esspee Thu 11-Aug-22 09:09:34

Good Morning Paddyanne. We had a whole island to ourselves and OP is perfectly used to me wandering around the house without clothes.
We have seen a couple of wallabies though not this week. I signed the petition against the cull and distributed it to friends. Personally I am prepared to join any demonstration to highlight the atrocity Kirsty is proposing. There is no need to kill these harmless creatures.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 11-Aug-22 09:31:31

Mostly I wear lightweight cotton sleeveless dresses but I must have underwear beneath. At long last I've given up on socks or 'sockettes' inside shoes which I never thought I'd do. It's just too hot and some of them roll about which is an extra irritation.

Even if I'm not going out anywhere I like to look 'respectable' - today I'm only putting the bins out - but if I were to look awful I could bet my boots someone would walk past and see me.

Pittcity Thu 11-Aug-22 13:40:06

Can anyone shed light on where they bought cotton kaftans?

Does anyone else find swimming costumes hot? I hate sitting in mine in hot weather.

VB000 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:42:40

MissAdventure

This sounds intriguing Miss A - can you enlighten us? Is it a pyramid one or a round one??

karmalady Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:11

A lovely long linen kaftan that I made, I made two and am alternating them. I float around. I love my kaftans, they have style

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 13:46:45

I don't have kaftans, but I have a few dresses from Vera Tucci that are fine for round the house and very reasonably priced. Size down, rather than up - they are very generously cut.

Millie22 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:51:17

I'm wearing a short strappy top from Primark's loungewear range and denim shorts I cut from old jeans.

Yesterday I had a dress on as I went out. Amazingly I saw a woman in boots. The footwear not the shop.

paddyann54 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:53:18

Great weather for the Loch Espee I wasn't joking about the nudist colony theres been one on Loch Lomond for a very long time .Theres also a man who swims his horses over to the banks as he has a horse and carriage used for weddings .His name is .....Roy Rodgers ...really .Its a fab area ,I wouldn't live anywhere else .Enjoy it and get a fab tan.lol

Pammie1 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:59:11

The coolest light cotton wide pyjama bottoms I can find, with a loose elasticated waist, and a loose, sleeveless linen vest top. Flip flops, no underwear. It’s not a pretty sight but it’s touching 30C here. Our JRT has got the right idea - I’ve drawn all the blinds and curtains at the front of the house and the landing is really cool now, so he’s currently stretched out there snoring like an old man !!

Pammie1 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:01:47

VB000

MissAdventure

This sounds intriguing Miss A - can you enlighten us? Is it a pyramid one or a round one??

I think I have one of those. Loose round neck and shaped like a big wedge of Dairylea, with a deep pleat running from the neck to the hem. My OH says it makes me look like a Tepee !!

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 14:13:46

That's it!
Mine has trouser legs in it like Mc Hammer when he sang "you can't touch this" smile

Cabbie21 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:48:16

I have shed my socks today and my feet and ankles are COLD!

Redhead56 Thu 11-Aug-22 16:35:36

Loose thin strapped dress or cropped leggings and loose top.

Moggycuddler Fri 12-Aug-22 11:16:49

Vest top. No bra. Thin cotton floaty just below knee length skirt, bare feet, flip flops. Cotton knickers.

sweetcakes Fri 12-Aug-22 11:19:37

* Esspee* how I wish that was me you lucky thing.

SparklyGrandma Fri 12-Aug-22 11:24:15

Sleeveless dress, hair tied up, knickers and bra. Tower fan on me most of the time.
Thermal/sunblock curtains all closed and windows shut.

I let in some cool air at 7am. Nearly 30 ° C outside, and C 24° C inside already.

kwest Fri 12-Aug-22 11:24:16

I bought half a dozen kaftans over a period of about 3 years. I wear a kaftan with bra and pants. They feel loose and floaty and look o.k. for most things in hot weather. the first two I bought were cheap ones which I don't actually wear now so I should either charity shop them or throw them out, The others were not cheap but on a pay per wear basis they certainly are value for money. No more feeling grumpy when clothes cling, I will never be without them for hot weather days again.

DeeDe Fri 12-Aug-22 11:24:42

I keep casual looking pyjamas for daytime at home, and wear very light pyjamas for bed, I find it much cooler wearing pjs at night rather than wearing nothing.

Aveline Fri 12-Aug-22 11:25:30

Cotton t shirt. Pants. That's it. I'll have to put more clothes on when I put the bins out. Probably.

Witzend Fri 12-Aug-22 11:27:43

Having spent many years in Middle Eastern deserts, I soon learned that long, loose, covered-up, in thin, natural fibres, is the way to go.

I have 2 long (below mid calf) very loose, pure cotton dresses with 3/4 sleeves - I don’t do bare arms any more and they do keep the sun off if I’m outside.

They’re in a muted check sort of seersucker material which washes like a dream and needs no ironing - even better.