Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a thing now in impoverished Britain

(140 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 11:31:11

I’m sitting on my patio just thinking about how dull the slabs are.
The Times has come to my rescue. Outdoor rugs!! Who knew they were a thing? The one I like is only £640.78. I don’t think it’s big enough though, I’ll have to have 2.

twiglet77 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:18:44

My daughter bought one for £25 or so in Wilkos or Dunelm and her baby is more comfortable crawling on the rug than on the patio slabs.

I don’t think it cost as much as £600 when I last had a new carpet fitted… in 1994!

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:21:48

Have recently lost small GC under it which they thought was hilarious, fortunately so did AS and his wife

? hope you discovered him (or her) before too long

avitorl Fri 12-Aug-22 12:29:53

I have 3 outdoor rugs for different areas in my garden.I love them for the pattern and colours they bring to those areas.
I bought mine from Ebay and they were quite cheap,definitely under £100, and possibly under £50.
Much cheaper than ceramic tiles or patio slabs.

nadateturbe Fri 12-Aug-22 12:50:30

BlueBelle

Why oh why ?? I agree nadateturbe it’s disturbing isn’t it

Yes, very, Bluebelle

RichmondPark1 Fri 12-Aug-22 12:59:22

More plastic tat to break down and get into the environment and then end up in landfill.

There was a house makeover show on this week about doing up the worst house on the best street. The garden was made over almost entirely in plastic - grass, rugs, ivy growing up trellis - barely a living thing to be seen.

M0nica Fri 12-Aug-22 12:59:36

.... and millions are starving sub-Saharan Africa, and there is a War in Ukraine.

I cannot see what contribution those wanting rugs in their garden can do to resolve the world's problems by not buying them.

Considering that these rugs are probably imported from countries far poorer than ours, they are actually contributing to the livelihoods of people in those countries and saving them from starvation.

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 13:17:06

Shirley48

PamelaJ1

Thought I’d send a photo

Perhaps my eyesight’s going, but none of those cost £640?

Sorry Shirley, cut the top off.

Oldnproud Fri 12-Aug-22 13:20:36

I saw these for sale last week in our local Air Ambulance charity shop, at around £20 - £25. Very reasonable, I though.

nadateturbe Fri 12-Aug-22 13:40:18

Monica I wonder how much the workers are paid and who is getting rich from the sales.

For my part, if I had £640 to spend on a rug, I would buy a cheaper one and think how much I could do for others with the rest. No matter how much money I had, I would never spend that much on a rug.

M0nica Fri 12-Aug-22 13:46:53

I am not defending those choosing to spend lots of money on these items. They are available at other prices. i am just defending people who decide to buy these items at any price from the censorious who choose to make value judgments on others.

I cannot help but wonder what they are buying that others would consider to be totally useless luxuries and what they would do with the money if they did not buy them. Donate to the local food bank, or just leaave in the bank?

MerylStreep Fri 12-Aug-22 13:49:30

I don’t why The Times are advertising these now.
We bought ours about 10 years ago.
We bought it to take abroad in the motohome.
My next door neighbour has one. She got it from Home Bargains.
Stating the obvious. The more expensive ones don’t fade as quick.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Aug-22 14:14:41

If those who have available disposable income to spend all stopped spending it wouldn’t help those who cannot afford to eat/heat this winter.

It would more than likely put the so called working poor out of a job, the hairdressers, local tearooms, cafes and shops along with all the delivery drivers.

JenniferEccles Fri 12-Aug-22 14:15:38

Whatever you do don’t talk about hosing down an outdoor rug or mat or you will get vilified by some as happened on another thread !

I would imagine the more expensive ones would be a better proposition.

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Aug-22 14:24:08

Unfortunately some people seem to think that I was ‘getting at’ people who choose to spend their £ on these. I truly had never heard of the concept of carpeting my outside space and find it mind boggling.
I don’t even need one for a dog because we have shade provided by a massive wisteria.

Beechnut Fri 12-Aug-22 14:30:20

Outdoor rugs on offer for £12 this morning in Tesco. I think the normal price was £15.

JaneJudge Fri 12-Aug-22 15:21:10

I'd pay £10 for a cold hosing down today tbh, will i get vilified too? grin

Zoejory Fri 12-Aug-22 15:24:49

JaneJudge

Not at all, I'd be joining you!

Luckygirl3 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:28:13

I am fascinated by the outdoor sofas .... they must cost a fortune and will start to go mouldy very quickly.

Shirley48 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:39:03

PamelaJ1

Shirley48

PamelaJ1

Thought I’d send a photo

Perhaps my eyesight’s going, but none of those cost £640?

Sorry Shirley, cut the top off.

Phew! I can cancel the cataract op!

That’s a ludicrous price?

Shirley48 Fri 12-Aug-22 15:40:50

JaneJudge

No, but you might get invited into The Argy grin

nadateturbe Fri 12-Aug-22 16:16:45

Nothing wrong with treating oneself Monica, within reason.
I would have more pleasure in helping someone than spending that kind of money on possessions.
Having some money in the bank is sensible if possible. Having billions is not.

MerylStreep Fri 12-Aug-22 16:28:32

Not many billionaires have billions in the bank. Bloomberg, Bezos maybe.
The vast majority of them have their money tied up in finance.
The only problem with that, is, it could very easily go tits up.

PinkCosmos Fri 12-Aug-22 16:29:26

I bought one from Wayfair a couple of years ago. It is about 10' x 6' and was about £120.

We have an large-ish outdoor table and chairs under a covered patio. It has brick paving - which I hate - so I bought it to go under the table and chairs to brighten it up a bit. It is blue and white. It looks lovely.

No-one has tripped over it and you can scrub with a brush or use a hosepipe (when we don't have a ban) it as it is some kind of polypropylene material. We leave it out all year round as it is partly under cover and we don't get much frost anyway. I don't think I would leave one out in the open all year round though.

I appreciate that there is a cost of living crisis but surely posters are allowed to post about something other than that without being shot down in flames.

AcornFairy Fri 12-Aug-22 16:30:38

M0nica

Since we are not all on exactly the same income some people will be able to afford optional luxuries that others cannot.

The same person who indulges in such 'luxuries' may also be a generous donor to their local food bank and work hardin other ways to reduce inequalities in society. Outdoor rugs are truly a dispensible luxury, no one is going to die or even become ill if they do not have one, so why shouldn't those who want and can afford them, not have them without other people being outraged?

As your comment came immediately after mine, it might be me who inspired you to use the word “outraged”. I am not (outraged) and sadly the use of that emotive word seems to have sparked other comments (including your own quote in a later post “the censorious who choose to make value judgments on others”) that have somewhat soured what began as an interesting discussion.
I had never heard about such mats before and was interested to read about them. It is also interesting to read about other people’s take on this. We can all learn from each other, ideally without making those “judgments on others”.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Aug-22 16:32:42

nadateturbe

Nothing wrong with treating oneself Monica, within reason.
I would have more pleasure in helping someone than spending that kind of money on possessions.
Having some money in the bank is sensible if possible. Having billions is not.

That is your choice nadateturb

Others get pleasure from having nice things around them, that is their choice.

Neither are wrong, just different.

As for what is in anyones bank account that is their business.