Gransnet forums

Chat

Troll/s at work on Mumsnet

(171 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

grannydarkhair Tue 13-Sep-22 02:46:32

When I had a look at Mumsnet a few minutes ago, there were 50+ threads shut down because of a troll/s. I really don’t understand why anybody wants to behave in that manner, what sad lives they must lead.
I sincerely hope they don’t target Gransnet next.

Jaxjacky Tue 13-Sep-22 20:08:48

I agree BlueBelle.
Saying ‘the target has, by my reckoning been hit several times’ sounds like MI5 GSM

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Sep-22 20:40:42

The analogy of hitting a target was originated by VS, not me.

Marydoll Tue 13-Sep-22 20:45:12

Germanshepherdsmum

I do know for sure Delila but I’m not at liberty to tell you here how it is that I know.

I’m also pretty good at spotting linguistic patterns and traits. Some people’s are particularly distinctive. No ifs.

I am too, GSM. They always slip up in the end. I don't how they can be bothered, trying to keep on top of it all.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Sep-22 20:54:44

They want the attention, Marydoll, the replies to their posts.

VioletSky Tue 13-Sep-22 20:57:57

Yes was my analogy, and wasn't really meant to suggest a particular target or paint one on someone, sorry

Galaxy Tue 13-Sep-22 21:36:34

MN is targeted in various ways because it's a predominately female site, with a strong feminist element, and is a space for women to discuss escaping abuse. It's always particularly interesting when the abuse involved in sex work is discussed, that usually provokes an influx of new posters.
Troll hunting however tempting is pointless and usually impacts on the troll hunter rather than the troll.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Sep-22 21:43:29

It depends on the troll Galaxy.

Razzamatazz Tue 13-Sep-22 21:53:19

Many years ago a Fb page was being trolled, and I got involved. I had a look at 4chan, the dark web - and have always regretted it. These people aren't humans as we know them, stay well clear.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Sep-22 22:04:03

As I said, it depends on the troll. The ones I have mentioned have been created by a single banned GN poster, not an unknown entity.

nanna8 Wed 14-Sep-22 08:17:47

Maybe an online psychiatrist might be appropriate to deal with that great anger and distress they must be experiencing.

Marydoll Wed 14-Sep-22 08:25:14

nanna8

Maybe an online psychiatrist might be appropriate to deal with that great anger and distress they must be experiencing.

I know of posters, who were also distressed, when they realise they had been duped.

nanna8 Wed 14-Sep-22 08:27:52

I think you can block personal messages and that is a good idea,too if you get one of those strange characters contacting you.

JaneJudge Wed 14-Sep-22 08:28:31

This all really freaks me out.

MerylStreep Wed 14-Sep-22 08:30:41

nanna8
They’d have their hands full on MN.
One this morning was particularly bad as it was written by a supposedly young mother who was told she had incurable cancer.
It was amazing to read how many posters believed them

I suppose you could be taken in if you’d never been to hospital or never had any dealings with hospitals. But seriously, does any one believe that someone who is in so much pain that they pass out but then drove themselves to A&E and low and behold have all these amazing tests and within 24hrs are told you have incurable cancer. Who believes that!!!!

GrannySomerset Wed 14-Sep-22 10:22:50

I am not aware enough to spot trolls but avoid reading certain posters’ contributions because I know from experience they won’t be helpful or kind. Saves a lot of raised blood pressure.

FarNorth Wed 14-Sep-22 10:35:52

Also (hypothetically), anyone can email HQ - in fact they ask us to do so to report suspicions. If they have replied and said that someone’s suspicions (based on recognising the signs) were correct, then of course that person would be certain that they had been right. There is nothing sinister about that, is there?

Do GNHQ actually get back to say that?
I thought they'd just quietly disappear the naughty person without comment.

FarNorth Wed 14-Sep-22 10:44:42

Callistemon21

It's odd so many happened together.
A group effort or can people create different accounts?

On Mumsnet you can change name as often as you like.
Of course MNHQ can see if you've done that so maybe some like to see what they can get away with, before they're spotted.

Other than that, and on GN, you can register with different email addresses. I expect HQ can see that too, if there's reason to look.

No idea why some think it's fun to do that, tho.

Callistemon21 Wed 14-Sep-22 10:51:36

I didn't know that FarNorth, thankyou

Doodledog Wed 14-Sep-22 10:59:56

FarNorth

^Also (hypothetically), anyone can email HQ - in fact they ask us to do so to report suspicions. If they have replied and said that someone’s suspicions (based on recognising the signs) were correct, then of course that person would be certain that they had been right. There is nothing sinister about that, is there?^

Do GNHQ actually get back to say that?
I thought they'd just quietly disappear the naughty person without comment.

I don’t know, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. I just don’t think it’s necessarily sinister for someone to have ‘insider information’.

Nannashirlz Wed 14-Sep-22 12:11:03

I think these sites need to do more to stop these ppl from getting on sites like this one. I know if I go on sites with photos I do check if they real or scammers lol for anyone who doesn’t know. Click on the photo -screen shot it - and go on to google- write photo revise- it will then let you know if it’s come up in different names. I tell loads of ppl that. I used to be an admin on few groups and you can soon work out who is fake and who isn’t.

Galaxy Wed 14-Sep-22 12:13:25

I reported ages ago a regular poster who had been banned and name changed, he trolled the forum repeatedly. They didnt tell me if I was correct but they were on the ball in responding and quite funny if I remember rightly.

DorothyGlamour Wed 14-Sep-22 12:16:01

Nannashirlz

But different names doesn't necessarily mean they are trolls.

And as far as I know no one has a photo of me that can be linked to my GN profile?

ixion Wed 14-Sep-22 17:13:43

"And as far as I know no one has a photo of me that can be linked to my GN profile?"

You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

LOL

MawtheMerrier Thu 15-Sep-22 16:45:50

Just observing -and others may have noticed this too - that quite a few threads have “disappeared” recently. You may wonder why but it looks as if HQ are possibly rather more on the ball these days hmmhmm

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 15-Sep-22 17:11:17

It does seem so, doesn’t it?