Gransnet forums

Chat

Spending. Treating yourself, better late than never

(106 Posts)
karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 17:01:05

I was typical of many, cut my cloth according to the money we had, bearing in mind mortgage and bringing up three children through uni.

I started to buy what I wanted a few years ago, the impetus was after my husband died

Witzend Fri 23-Sep-22 09:22:20

Thank you for kind comments about Spike - some people have certainly thought he’s hideous and I must have been mad! Whenever we go away dh brings him into the kitchen, in case anybody nicks him, but somehow I doubt it - apart from anything else he weighs a ton.

pascal30 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:22:05

Art courses... expensive but so nourishing

pregpaws3 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:46:09

Lots of warm clothing, cashmere jumpers , sheepskin boots and sheepskin slippers, and a down coat for when I have to face outdoors. Mainly bought in the sales though.

MountainCycler8 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:46:52

I'm about to splash out on a E Bike for the mountain's around me as I currently have manual Mtn bike which is getting more difficult with all the hill's of the Brecon Beacons national park, so that's £4,000 as I'm retired and no one to leave anything to directly living by myself, although I'm a member of local football and rugby club's I enjoy travelling by train to watch them play, I could go by coach but I'll spend the night somewhere all over England with train back following day, this is my treat.

Coconut Sat 24-Sep-22 11:48:19

Being deprived of holidays for so many years … 1st husband was tightest man on the planet, no:2 spent every penny we had…. I dumped them both, my kids now call me Shirley Valentine and I’m working thro my bucket list of places to go.
I’ve done the Rio Carnival, New Orleans Jazz tour, South Sea Islands ( Bora Bora, Tahiti, Hawaii etc) and countless trips to Italy. Son no:2 now lives in Jersey so I have bi-monthly trips over there too. We’re only here once so have to follow our own dreams as much as we are able.

Fleurpepper Sat 24-Sep-22 11:50:04

I am not very good at it at all. Buy very few 'things', but yes, travel and courses. I've only bought 2 expensive things in last 15 years- a great pair of binoculars, which I still use every single day, and take everywhere with me. And a fabulous Lalique vase when I visited the Museum in the Vosges in France.

dizzygran Sat 24-Sep-22 11:57:32

Perfume. I don't feel dressed without it. Fav is still Chanel No 5 but have a couple of others for everyday wear. I get it from OH as presents as well, but buy it for myself if I run out. A few make up items are "essential" - my excuse - ie Touche Eclat. We all need treats - even special chocolate or biscuits to spoil us

Patsytaylor Sat 24-Sep-22 11:59:20

I was sole beneficiary when my dad died. I split inheritance with my two children (both in their 40's with children). I wanted to see them enjoy it. Both did home improvements smile

Juliet27 Sat 24-Sep-22 12:06:58

Wow Coconut that’s some trips. Good for you!!

SolitarySpirit Sat 24-Sep-22 12:10:55

I had a nice win on the National Lottery a few years ago, I was going to go back to Barcelona for a months holiday but of course then covid hit and that put paid to that. I sat on the money keeping hoping that things would settle down but when they didn’t I decided to dip into it and bought myself an iPad, quite a big deal for me, I’m not really computer oriented but am so glad I did I use it all the time. A couple of months ago I also decided to upgrade my sewing machine. Both things get a lot of use as I make my own clothes and do textile art as well both on my iPad and sewing machine so I don’t feel guilty at all. Having a cancer diagnosis made me realise that you have to live in the moment.

crazyH Sat 24-Sep-22 12:12:42

coconut - I thought you were working through your bucket list of ……..men to date. Just joking ?

Chrisks Sat 24-Sep-22 12:15:56

I treated myself to a beautiful Omega watch from some money left by my Mum. I’ve never regretted it as I can look at it every day and be reminded of her.

Happysexagenarian Sat 24-Sep-22 12:23:41

My sewing machine, bought two years ago after 6 months of arguing with myself. Eventually DH said "For heaven's sake buy it! If you don't you'll regret it." It's the most expensive thing I've ever bought myself. I love it and have so much fun making things I could not have made with my old machine.

I also treated DH to a scroll saw for his man cave. He likes it but he hasn't used it a lot as his shed is often too hot or too cold to work in. And I think he's a bit miffed that I have more success with it than he does.

TiggyW Sat 24-Sep-22 13:10:35

I like to treat myself to perfume and jewellery (costume, not fine), but I would love a brand new, electric Mini. ? It would wipe out my savings though…?

biglouis Sat 24-Sep-22 13:21:03

I have no children so have always treated myself. I travelled to where I wanted to go and spent a lot on holidays, clothes and experiences when I was younger. At one time I became a bit of a shopaholic. Now all that has gone and I just concentrate on making life comfortable for myself. I am arthritic so my greatest indulgence is keeping warm. I just look at the huge amount Ive contributed to the community and my much lower carbon footprint so I spend money on myself without a pang of conscience. The money I spend helps to fund jobs for other people.

Boolya Sat 24-Sep-22 13:29:59

I too have discovered to joy of real linen sheets. I don’t even mind the ironing!

Theoddbird Sat 24-Sep-22 13:38:03

I used to buy whatever I wanted when I was working. Things changed a bit when I retired. I am more careful now. I did raid my savings for a better car when a car drove into mine and wrote it off. Their insurance company paid out but I added to that to buy the car I have now. My only extravagance since I retired... I will be getting injury compensation at some point for the severe whiplash I suffered. Might treat myself when I get that.

4allweknow Sat 24-Sep-22 13:39:07

Witzend He's lovely and will be very easy to look after.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 24-Sep-22 13:49:17

An electric bike around £4000. I had upgraded my push bike the year before but due to my medical conditions I was finding it hard and didn’t want to give up cycling. I had some money in my saving account tried out this electric bike while on holiday and bought it on the spot, never regretted it and have done nearly 3000 miles in just short of two years. Mr B has taken on my other bike. I can now do the hills in the valleys of South Wales

SJV07 Sat 24-Sep-22 14:28:33

Blushing Sheep, good leather handbags can be had from Pure Luxuries, not expensive, variety of styles & colours. On line too, and free carriage etc. Excellent value.

karmalady Sat 24-Sep-22 14:35:52

your stories are beautiful, so uplifting and I adore spike

Happysexagenarian, I too can use a scroll saw, went on some courses, it was my husbands and now mine. Other good items I spent a lot on where swiss carving gouges. Sadly now I have lost that mojo because the group folded, thank you covid. All safely wrapped up and as good as an inheritance for AC

I have 3 bikes, my last was a whizzy road bike, islabikes and I have had a really good kalkhoff ebike since 2008. It was 2.5 k even then but wow, still going strong and that is with me maintaining it. I would spend a lot on another if my kalkhoff dies on me, if beyond repair

I don`t hesitate to treat myself but it is not really that often, I don`t want to stuff my face as I am healthy and want to keep cycling. Maybe celtic slippers when the ones I have wear out. I bear in mind that I may have to fund care if I get a short straw, who knows

JackyB Sat 24-Sep-22 15:39:02

I bought some cheapish microfibre curtains for the dining room and an extra pair to cover the chair seats a couple of years ago. That was false economy. I am continually taking the seat covers off and washing them and the curtains don't hang well because they are too light weight. I now realise that we are well enough off not to have to take the cheapest option and I am looking into a decent upholstery fabric to make the dining room look more luxurious.

I have also splashed out on some new cushion covers for the lounge.

I'm not bothered about travelling, but music courses and concerts would also be a priority.

Yammy Sat 24-Sep-22 16:41:52

I spent retirement money on a new mini now many years old and two paintings of Industrial West Cumbria where I grew up not your lakes and fells. Also one of the village my father grew up in. When my friend saw it she said"Oh that is Cow Clap lonning", she comes from the same village.
Now I like to treat the GC, with the odd small luxury for DH and me.

SkyBird Sat 24-Sep-22 16:49:08

I gave both of my DC deposits to buy a house. They both had the means to pay a mortgage just not the deposit. It was one of the best things that I have ever done. They were able to get on the property ladder at a really young age.

halfpint1 Sat 24-Sep-22 17:12:37

I am still a thrifty person with everything but when my Mum died and I inherited her small flat I finally felt able to ease up
a bit. Having 4 children to bring up with a financial idiot of a
husband - who I got rid of once they were adult, I still have
difficulties in treats for myself. However I love to have lunch
out and a healthy walk is always finished with a relaxing
coffee somewhere. Simple things but mean the world to me.