Gransnet forums

Chat

Spending. Treating yourself, better late than never

(106 Posts)
karmalady Thu 22-Sep-22 17:01:05

I was typical of many, cut my cloth according to the money we had, bearing in mind mortgage and bringing up three children through uni.

I started to buy what I wanted a few years ago, the impetus was after my husband died

Witzend Tue 27-Sep-22 03:07:24

HousePlantQueen

Lovely uplifting thread. A question; do you have to iron linen bed linen? Could I go for wrinkled, comfy look? Bit like the rest of me grin

We recently stayed with my sister in the US who’s treated herself to linen bed linen. She never irons anything and it honestly looked absolutely fine. It was a patterned duvet cover though, and IMO patterns are much more forgiving.

karmalady Tue 27-Sep-22 12:14:16

I have done it again and why not. I have lost weight, deliberately and it has taken me a very long time. I have a friend coming soon for lunch and put/ tried on, on a lovely pair of lands end trousers, petite and medium, bearing in mind that I used to be XXL. They fit beautifully and so I am going to enjoy my new shape and medium it is

I have been back on lands end after a years abscence, I have bought more medium trousers, leggings and a down waterproof coat with waist definition, hood with fur trim and thigh long. I already have a long coat. It addedup to a fair bit but tomorrow I am going through all my trousers and unworn leggings over a M and will be donating

I will absolutely not be wearing wrinkly leggings or baggy pants just because

Seabreeze Tue 27-Sep-22 14:11:34

Just had a wonderful massage. It was a special offer ! I do find it difficult to spend money on myself! Can’t find a decent pair of much needed jeans any where. They all have too much viscose or elastin in them and crease like mad. I’m only a 27” leg which makes it Even harder.

karmalady Tue 27-Sep-22 15:15:23

seabreeze, have you tried bon marche jeans. They are nice and wear very well, with different leg lengths

DerbyshireLass Tue 27-Sep-22 15:37:12

I definitely believe in treating myself. As my husband used to say, "we all need some fripperies in our lives".

I was brought up with nothing and wanted everything, ?. I realised no one was going to hand me them on a plate So I worked my socks off and learned how to be frugal in some areas so I could splurge on the things I lusted after.

Champagne tastes and a lemonade budget sums me up. ?

Luckily I love vintage so I am a charity shop queen. Over the years I have developed quite an eye and have picked up some amazing bargains. Just today I bought a beautiful 38 piece China dinner service for £9. A pretty brooch caught my eye, 50p. Got it home and realised that the stones are diamonds. Ok only tiny ones, but hey diamonds are diamonds right and on one will know if I don't tell them ?.

I have a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes, mostly preloved or vintage, lovely leather handbags picked up for next to nothing and so on. I do most of my own beauty treatments, facials, manicures etc.

I Splurge on holidays, massages, good food and a warm home.

My motto is.......

Life is short, take the trip, buy the shoes, eat the cake. Just don't bankrupt yourself in the process.??. .