Gransnet forums

Chat

What the....oh?!

(152 Posts)
Ali08 Sun 25-Sep-22 19:15:41

As I scroll through various chats in here, names pop up.
One in particular always gets me going, although they are not at fault.
However, every time I see 'HowVeryDareYou' my thoughts go something like this, "What? Now what the hell have I done....oh, nothing, I'm on Gransnet! I'm ok. No problem. All's good, I'm fine. I've done nothing wrong!"
Until a few minutes later and the moniker pops up again...lol.

Do any of you have similar reactions to any names in here?

Joseanne Mon 26-Sep-22 08:46:07

I think you're all kind of right, that Ali08, (with numbers!), meant that the scary names sound a bit aggressive to start with, but they can turn out to be very sweet meek and mild posters. That's why I laughed at * Terribull* because I can't remember any hostile charging at anyone from this poster, and indeed they could be terrible in a good way. eg. Naughty but nice.

I'm off to do a few hours in school later today and there is a teacher called Mr. Cross who is very nice, but the kids are still wary!!

CatsCatsCats Mon 26-Sep-22 08:52:54

No numbers here. I have three cats and could have called myself Cats3, but CatsCatsCats it had to be, just to emphasize my passion for them.

MawtheMerrier Mon 26-Sep-22 09:08:54

Juliet27

I always wondered about the significance of Flyinghandbags apart from it being the name of a gay venue in Blackpool

Less said about that the better wink

lemsip Mon 26-Sep-22 09:14:05

mine is simple. there was a packet of them on the table.

Greyduster Mon 26-Sep-22 09:25:06

My favourite was and is mumofmadboys. My own is named for a favourite fishing fly - its small and deadly?!

BlueBelle Mon 26-Sep-22 09:27:12

Well just shows how the written word can be interpreted differently then doesn’t it Prentice
Glad I m wrong but obviously others got it wrong too !!!

Dodgy ground there Juliet

I thought you were in the middle of a stinking cold when you signed up lemsip

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 09:39:03

Juliet27

I think lauraNorder is a good one

Oh yes, another witty one.

Fleurpepper Mon 26-Sep-22 09:40:46

BigBertha1

A Big Bertha is a golf club....the driver or No1 club. I used to be Teetime and posters told me I was spelling it wrong!

Big Bertha was originally a canon in WW1, I believe.

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 09:44:46

Fleurpepper is a lovely name.
Getting frustrated choosing a user name and finding all already taken I looked around, through the window into the garden, tomatoes, lots of them, behind me lolling in a chair reading the newspaper, my son Prentice.The choice was clear, it could not be tomato.

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 09:47:57

I looked out of the window too, Prentice but saw a plant ?

Urmstongran Mon 26-Sep-22 09:54:04

But that’s such an uncommon name Prentice weren’t you bothered if it helped to identify you when you posted, say about your area, holidays being taken etc?

Fleurpepper Mon 26-Sep-22 09:54:59

Fleur is one of my middle names, and Pepper was our first and favourite ever dog, who turned up in our front garden injured, just been knocked by a car. We had him for 17 years. His photo was in front of me on the wood burned when I signed up.

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 09:58:17

There was a girl called Fleur at my school, I always thought it sounded quite exotic, most of the rest of us had ordinary names like Anne, Jean etc!
Perhaps her mother had read the Forsyte Saga.

Joseanne Mon 26-Sep-22 10:04:30

The pretty name Fleur always gets my sense of smell going ? ?.
So the OP might be right in some respects.

MrsKen33 Mon 26-Sep-22 10:06:55

Can’t divulge the first part thoughFanny knows. The numbers are very significant to me. That’s all.

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 10:19:32

MrsKen33

Can’t divulge the first part thoughFanny knows. The numbers are very significant to me. That’s all.

I always see FannyCornforth with an abundance of flowing auburn hair ?

twinnytwin Mon 26-Sep-22 10:22:45

I think you can guess why I chose my name. winkwink

mamaa Mon 26-Sep-22 10:24:47

Mine is how my toddler grand-daughter said ‘Grandma’ at the time In joined up. She’s nearly 13 now and her younger siblings are no longer babies, but I don’t think I’ll be changing it…

mamaa Mon 26-Sep-22 10:25:54

I joined up, not In - no idea where the ‘n’ came from!

Casdon Mon 26-Sep-22 10:44:08

twinnytwin

I think you can guess why I chose my name. winkwink

If a sister is your twin and she was on Gransnet, she’d be twinnytwintwin, twinnytwin!

BlueBelle Mon 26-Sep-22 11:29:52

I only ever see Fannycornforth as Fanny craddock
Sorry Fanny I m sure you’re nothing like FNny Craddick but that’s what shoots into my mind

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:33:56

Bluebelle here's Fanny!

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 11:43:07

Urmstongran thank you, but no am not worried at all as it is not uncommon at all, at least where I live and in my community.He was at school with three others! He also finds it amusing to lend his name on here.He is old himself now and has named his own children with very unusual names, so I will not be divulging those, nor of my greatgrandchildren.

lemsip Mon 26-Sep-22 11:44:17

Bluebell right! that's why they were on the table

BlueBelle Mon 26-Sep-22 11:46:00

I know callistomon it’s just that nae always translates in my brain as Fanny craddock ?

I ve never ever heard the name Prentice Prentice