Gransnet forums

Chat

But will I “feel the benefit” ?

(105 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Tue 27-Sep-22 10:18:01

My granny used to believe firmly in always taking coats and jackets off the second one came indoors and not putting the extra layers on until actually going outside because we “would not feel the benefit”
Problem, it’s flippin freezing this morning so - do I put on a “proper “ Winter woolly as my instinct tells me to do, or should I struggle on with perhaps a T shirt under a lighter jumper or fleece , leaving the “big guns” for when the temperature is truly in single figures? Will I still “feel the benefit” ?
Oh first world problems. hmm

Esspee Tue 27-Sep-22 11:10:28

I sometimes think I’m in a different dimension to other gransnetters. On Saturday morning I was wearing a bikini on Loch Lomond after the sun rose, yes, in Scotland, and today I’m wearing shorts to do some gardening. It is noticeably cooler at night but hell will be freezing over before I purchase a vest.
In addition EonNext has sent me an email stating that they are reducing my direct debit from £120 per month to £53 per month from next week.(presumably due to the government subsidy). I live in a 4 bedroom semi without cavity walls and we are on the capped rate as our package came to an end just as prices started to soar.

Kalu Tue 27-Sep-22 11:14:24

You are exceptionally lucky not to feel the cold as I do here in Scotland Esspee

Maya1 Tue 27-Sep-22 11:24:57

I'm all ready to go as well Maw so if you need the extra layers put them on.. I have changed the duvets over to the winter weights. I have my heated throw ready and waiting. My two wool throws are also at the ready.
Finn has the old flannelette duvet covers over his bedding now as we have the new ones on the beds.
I was also surprised as eon have lowered our direct debit as well from £170.00 per month to £103.00. I think it's to do with subsidy but l thought the monthly amount was going up to £250.00. as of October.
I do feel sorry for anyone who lives in the cold climates further North as winter approaches.

M0nica Tue 27-Sep-22 11:29:57

After the weekend's warm weather, with windows and doors wide open, ysterday I put on a summer dress, with light sweater over - and nearly froze to death in the cold north wind.

Today I have decided that as it is late September, summer has gone and I am digging out the winter clothess. Today, over my jeans I have a long sleeved rugby top and a fleecy sweatshirt. Just right for indoors and kept me comfortabley warm when I was out gardening earlier.

AGAA4 Tue 27-Sep-22 11:32:07

It depends on where you live. Temperature here was 8° with feels like 5 according to forecast.
I am wearing my thermal T shirt and a jumper.

Esspee Tue 27-Sep-22 11:35:18

Kalu

You are exceptionally lucky not to feel the cold as I do here in Scotland Esspee

There are positives to hot flushes ? Kalu. Break over so back to my sunny back garden to split some perennials. The washing is almost dry including two duvets.

Fleurpepper Tue 27-Sep-22 11:40:20

Finally got thicker socks on and a top + the wood burner on. Changing beds at the weekend and will replace summer duvets for winter ones.

Razzamatazz Tue 27-Sep-22 11:49:44

I am wearing my new vest today, I've not worn one as an adult before. I think you wear whatever makes you feel comfortable?

I've started using my electric blanket in bed, I put my pj's on top of it so they are warm when I put them on.

Blondiescot Tue 27-Sep-22 11:51:15

annsixty

I have just had an email from EDF “telling me” mu monthly DD will be going up to £302 .
My long johns and winter woolies are coming out today.
The drop in temperature is quite scary, where will it end?

I'd be querying that, to be honest. I've just had an email from Bulb slashing our monthly payments by two-thirds.

25Avalon Tue 27-Sep-22 12:01:25

Sometimes it’s warmer out than in so you need to put your coat on when you come indoors. Plus I think you tend to be more active outdoors so get warm that way. No it’s coats indoors for me grin

Razzamatazz Tue 27-Sep-22 13:41:07

I was watching Wolf Hall and the men wore heavy layers of clothing indoors and out, as well as a large coat, many with fur collars. Probably sewn into their clothes!

Norah Tue 27-Sep-22 13:55:42

So chilly. I wore jeans, long sleeve thermal with a sleeveless down vest over - for first dog walk. Came in to hot oats, espresso, and am still wearing sleeveless light down vest. I feel the benefits.

3dognight Tue 27-Sep-22 16:08:15

I’ve just gone back into my jeans from a summer of shorts wearing, so feel cosy because of that. I haven’t put a vest on yet. First night under winter duvet last night, cosy indeed!
I haven’t put a jacket or coat on yet, but I don’t think it will be long before I do.

AGAA4 Tue 27-Sep-22 16:27:32

It must be cold today as my son isn't wearing shorts and t shirt.

Oldnproud Tue 27-Sep-22 16:27:38

Get a thick winter woolly on right away if you are cold, Maw.

There's no point waiting until the depths of winter if you're cold now! At best you are uncomfortable, which will make you miserable, and at worst, you could end up ill. Why risk either of those when there's no need?

You can simply add more under-layers when the really cold weather strikes.

Wyllow3 Tue 27-Sep-22 16:28:38

Another here who (since no no-one is looking) I just put my furry dressing gown on over whatever else I have on. I have 3 furry dressing gowns - lightweight - so even have a choice.

Key item in colder weather - I have 12 - yes 12, M n S heatgen long sleeved tops. Can be worn as tops for going out, or under other tops. When it gets a bit old they are house tops and its easy to layer up with 2 or even 3.

Other essentials - fluffy sock and fluffy bootees.

I wish I could wear wool, but any wool itches.

annsixty Tue 27-Sep-22 16:32:05

I find the very low monthly charges some of you have amazing.
I am not extravagant with heat etc but in the depths of winter I do have heating on for about 16 hours as I am 85 and feel the cold as I suppose I do sit around a lot.
My previous fixed DD which came to an end in August was £157 and I was never in debit at the end of the year.
As you can see this is nearly 100% increase.
At least being over 80 I will get extra help this year.

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Sep-22 17:48:56

12C and cloudy here but it was about 23C and sunny a few days ago so it's adjusting to the difference which is difficult.

Grandmabatty Tue 27-Sep-22 17:58:48

I never used to feel the cold but I have an underactive thyroid and my metabolism is all over the place. My lovely dd and sil bought me one of the fluffy hooded things for my birthday that someone mentioned earlier. I'm looking forward to keeping warm in it.

Kalu Tue 27-Sep-22 18:09:50

I am well past the hot flushes stage. ? No wish to go through that again!

The older I get, I feel the cold much more than ever I did no doubt, due to a change in circulation.

Cabbie21 Tue 27-Sep-22 18:15:04

We are on holiday in the UK so I brought layers. Today I am wearing a thin thermal base layer, a thin polyester pretty layer on top, then when it gets chilly later this evening I will put my fleece on. To go out I wore all three plus an anorak, medium weight. Perfect.

Harris27 Tue 27-Sep-22 18:20:34

My t shirts and summer wear has been packed away. Boots and Woolf’s out now but I’m in the cold North east!

Oldbat1 Tue 27-Sep-22 20:37:42

We live in the north east and currently visiting family “down south” for a couple of days. I’ve been frozen since arrival. We’re off home tomorrow so it will be interesting how different the temp feels. I just hope central heating will behave. I did leave the aga on. Will research these hoody thingies.

Razzamatazz Tue 27-Sep-22 20:41:13

9 degrees here and raining heavily on the Northumberland coast @Oldbat1. We all moved up from London in 1999 and have never got used to the cold here, particularly the wind, people at work joked about it when I told them where I was moving.

Helen657 Tue 27-Sep-22 20:57:30

Don’t feel cold - layer up as much as you need to.
We seem to have gone straight from summer into early winter here (Yorkshire) without the normal gentle temperature reduction!! The overnight temp is already down to 6 degrees so the house is freezing morning and evening, although the afternoon sun is still warming some rooms during the day. I’ve already changed from 4.5 to 10.5 tog quilt (with woolly bed socks!) and am wearing woolly tights and thick cardigans in the house, with a warm throw over me in the evenings - Brrrrr.
Was it only 2 weeks ago I was wearing shorts?