Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone still thinking of voting tory at the next General Election?

(383 Posts)
MaizieD Wed 28-Sep-22 16:14:37

Just that, really.

I'm curious to know if crashing the economy has influenced anyone's thinking...

MerylStreep Wed 28-Sep-22 21:51:10

Helen Mirren played her in The Passion of Ayn Rand.
Can’t remember if it was on Prime or Netflix.
A woman with some very strange ideas.

GagaJo Wed 28-Sep-22 21:54:20

kittylester

Why so aggressive gaga?

Irony

nanaK54 Wed 28-Sep-22 21:54:31

It's a solid no from me

Dickens Wed 28-Sep-22 21:59:22

MerylStreep

Helen Mirren played her in The Passion of Ayn Rand.
Can’t remember if it was on Prime or Netflix.
A woman with some very strange ideas.

I think it was on Netflix.

Haven't seen it, but Mirren is always worth a watch.

Thanks for he heads up. Strange woman indeed!

Dickens Wed 28-Sep-22 21:59:57

...erm, the heads up

Luckygirl3 Wed 28-Sep-22 22:04:51

I won't be voting Tory - I never have for all the reasons that we are now suffering from. Who I vote for will depend on who I think might be most likely to oust the sitting Tory MP.

grannyrebel7 Wed 28-Sep-22 22:05:36

Never have and definitely never will more now than ever.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 22:16:24

I think we need to remember that most people are not political in the way that we are. I have dear friends who are Dicken's description of Conservative but only one of them would consider themselves "political". I think, for some, this is all quite bewildering. Heaven knows what they will do if it is still like this, with this crew, by the time we come to a GE.

Fleurpepper Wed 28-Sep-22 22:39:33

Galaxy

Oh varian we share the fact that we have a Tory mp with past allegations against him. We dont even have the same Mp.
I would be quite grateful if people didnt vote Tory, I am in my fifties and we have lost 6ooo from our pension in 2 days.

Now where is Mark Francois these days- has he vanished? Or moved in with Ann Widecombe?

Fleurpepper Wed 28-Sep-22 22:41:24

GagaJo

kittylester

Why so aggressive gaga?

Irony

circumstances? Not surprising- as there are people on GN who voted for these destructive clowns, and are still intending to do so again.

Are you surprised people are angry?

MaizieD Wed 28-Sep-22 22:58:44

When I first found out about Ayn Rand (thank you, twitter) a few years ago, once I'd got an idea of her 'philosophy' my thoughts flew immediately to Margaret Thatcher. 'There is no such thing as society'.

It;s not hard to find elements of Randean thought in both some political actors and in 'ordinary' people.

Her whole philosophy makes me feel ill.

Fleurpepper Wed 28-Sep-22 23:01:43

DaisyAnne

I think we need to remember that most people are not political in the way that we are. I have dear friends who are Dicken's description of Conservative but only one of them would consider themselves "political". I think, for some, this is all quite bewildering. Heaven knows what they will do if it is still like this, with this crew, by the time we come to a GE.

Yes, I know some too. And in the last few days their private pensions have lost a huge percentage, and their buyer (house) pulled out due to mortgage issues. They are suddenly coming to realise what they voted for!

glammagran Wed 28-Sep-22 23:07:29

As things stand today I will not vote for any political party in the next GE. I will spoil my ballot paper with a pre-printed message on an address label staying why I can’t vote for any of today’s incontinents. I don’t expect it to change in the next two years.

MayBee70 Thu 29-Sep-22 00:22:31

I can understand people voting Conservative if their MP is an old school decent kind of MP. Everyone I knew in Ken Clark’s constituency voted for him regardless of their political persuasion. If eg someone like Dominic Grieve was my MP I’d be tempted to vote for him but Johnson booted him out. I nearly voted Conservative once because I was tempted by a couple of things in their manifesto but, guess what. They never did them anyway so it’s a good job I didn’t.

nanna8 Thu 29-Sep-22 00:46:49

Why would anyone care who votes what on here? I hate this ganging up syndrome, it is just plain nasty. It reminds me of sending people to Coventry when I was a schoolgirl. To my absolute shame, I joined in.

SkyBird Thu 29-Sep-22 01:12:42

MayBee70. Several years ago we were in the first class lounge at Heathrow. Ken Clark and his wife were also there. My DH went to get us a drink and just happened to talk to KC. He was getting a huge whisky and an orange juice. For some reason he felt the need to explain to my DH who the drinks were for. The whisky was apparently for his wife and the orange juice for him. Minutes later we watched him down both drinks. Without offering either to his wife. He had no reason to lie to my DH.

grannyactivist Thu 29-Sep-22 01:15:32

I have some friends who have been lifelong politically active Conservatives and one of them has just indicated that he will “most likely” vote for Labour at the next GE. He told me he is horrified at the “lack of moral integrity that has seeped into the Tory party” and he’s equally disturbed by the “scale of their ineptitude when it comes to managing the economy”. He also has a well developed social conscience that he says has “taken a battering” under successive Tory leaders.

I’ve had many, many discussions with my Tory voting friends and I’m actually a little bit shocked that, currently with one exception, they are all saying that they are very unlikely to vote Conservative at the next election. ?

Kim19 Thu 29-Sep-22 05:10:57

I'll wait until election date has been announced to formulate my decision. This current 'gamble' hasn't had the best of starts. I have the odd gamble myself but I only do it with my own money. Think they're all a bit Raving Looney at the moment.

Petera Thu 29-Sep-22 05:49:06

Dickens There is a school of thought that regards [Rand] as a sociopath!

This is one of the many things that's surprised me over my life. When I was young everyone regarded her as a sociopath and, more than that, anyone holding positive opinions of her was also thought of the same way. Now we have cabinet ministers openly expressing admiration.

Whiff Thu 29-Sep-22 05:59:48

Because I think of the women who suffered so much to give us a vote and have always voted . Never voted for conservative or labour but next general election I will be voting labour for the simple fact my MP is very good and is labour . I would never spoil my ballot nor not vote. As people who do lose their voice and I have found those that do those things are the biggest moaners about politics when because of what they have done then they have no say.

This is my own opinion and experience before anyone jumps up and down and hurtles abuse at me.

Daisymae Thu 29-Sep-22 07:20:35

I've only voted Tory twice, once for Thatcher and that was because she was a woman?. Never again obviously. But my DH has voted for them all his life and has said he will not vote for them again.

tanith Thu 29-Sep-22 07:35:54

Never have and never will.

Mamardoit Thu 29-Sep-22 07:36:06

DaisyAnne

Could you explain who 'we' are please DaisyAnn.

Mamardoit Thu 29-Sep-22 07:45:14

GagaJo

I could (but won't, don't want a ban!) name GN members who will still vote Tory.

Oh don't be shy! Give them a chance to challenge you.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 29-Sep-22 07:51:54

Gosh, Varian, if that doesn't sum up what's wrong with Our Leaders, I don't know what could. Has his local party stood by him? Has his wife stood by him? It's the book Anatomy of a Scandal come to life. Astonishing disregard for other people seems the hallmark of the Conservative party.