Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you say if your husband told you to stop squawking?

(143 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 29-Nov-22 10:02:35

OK I am good and mad and sad at the moment. Dd rang about a query she had with dh. He claimed I was the one who raised it and it wasn’t him. Then when I protested said ‘stop squawking’ and didn’t like I disagreed in front of dd. This isn’t the first time he has used this horrible expression although I have told him not to. I think he does it primarily to deflect attention away from what I have said especially if I am right! He has phobic issues inculcated by his mother when he was very young so is used to trying to manipulate people but I find this just plain rude and disrespectful.

nadateturbe Tue 29-Nov-22 15:36:27

I agree with your first point Bluebelle but I don't think it's an acceptable expression. I'd be very hurt. You shouldn't talk to your partner like that.

FarNorth Tue 29-Nov-22 15:39:57

It seems he reacted unreasonably aggressively to a simple disagreement.
Those saying 'No big deal' are focusing on the actual words and not on the feeling behind them.

I don't know what you can do, other than ask him not to say things like that to you.
Has the actual problem been sorted out?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:24:52

Tell him to jolly well squawk off.

MerylStreep Tue 29-Nov-22 16:39:21

My only reaction would have been a fit of giggles 😂
It’s just tooo silly to get worked up about.

Callistemon21 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:43:47

eazybee

Laid an egg on his head.

🤣🤣🤣
DD just asked if I'm ok or am I choking 🤣

Not acceptable, 25Avalon and he needs to be told.
We used to send a posse of Gransnetters round sometimes to sort out recalcitrant OHs - just shout if you need us!

Dickens Tue 29-Nov-22 17:21:44

BlueBelle

I don’t know how long your marriage has been but to be honest if that was the worst you ve had to complain about
you ve had a pretty good time
It’s just an expression I d have retaliated with something but not get that upset about it

You can take it as being "just an expression" but terminology like that - usually applied to women - is more than a simple expression of irritation. It is meant to demean - and invalidate your complaint or opinion.

... the same as "nagging" - telling you that you are nagging is a way of discrediting you.

Basically, it is meant to belittle.

sodapop Tue 29-Nov-22 17:28:12

I agree with BlueBelle don't let's get this out of proportion just a silly expression.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 29-Nov-22 17:43:04

Excuse my asking, but is this a new thing?

I am assuming this man is the father of the daughter you mentioned, and in that case you have been married to him for a number of years.

Has he always been this rude?

If he has and you have either never been able to prevent it, or to make him see how infuriating you find it (quite rightly) I am much afraid you won't change him now,

If on the other hand this rudeness is a new thing, I suggest you tell him that that incident the other day made you furious and that he will kindly not speak to you like that again.

welbeck Tue 29-Nov-22 17:44:32

sounds a rather mild word to me, and quite comic.
but i realise things are perceived differently by different people/groups.
i was rather shocked to hear quite nice northern people casually using a word that sounds a bit like beggar in ordinary speech, not cursing or angry.
i realised that it must not connote the same there.

Aveline Tue 29-Nov-22 18:05:25

If my husband told me to stop squawking it would be the last thing he ever said to me 😑

Wyllow3 Tue 29-Nov-22 18:20:46

Its sexist, its very offensive if you look up origins and usage

but

what matters is whether it's part of a pattern of other put downs, or rare and occasional.

and

whether if you explain to him why you object to it he hears you out, respects you, and doesn't use it again

Also most of all, the context of how you are together in general - whether you both lose your temper occasionally and fling back stuff and its long been part of your life together, or its a one way street.

CanadianGran Tue 29-Nov-22 18:22:59

I would have let him know that I don't like the phrase, and felt diminished by him using it.

Another thought - can he be losing his short term memory, and is perhaps being defensive or lashing out a bit?

Zoejory Tue 29-Nov-22 18:25:40

Is that rude? I don't know. I'd probably laugh and tell him to be quiet.

biglouis Tue 29-Nov-22 23:06:06

It would not be considered acceptable in any workplace where I have ever been employed. It would be seen as bullying.

imaround Wed 30-Nov-22 02:43:26

It would have been rather difficult for me to not throw whatever was closest to my hand at him.

Alioop Wed 30-Nov-22 06:34:29

Cheeky blighter! I would of went out for a lovely lunch on my own and left an egg sitting on a plate for his.

BigBertha1 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:03:07

For once I agree with padding but then my relationship with DH is characterised by lots of laughing. Had to be we would never have survived 44 years with each other.

paddyann54 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:14:20

I quite obviously live in a different world from the rest of GN.
I have a fantastic marriage ,have spent most of every day in my husbands company ,worked together ,lived together ,laughed and cried together .
One remark ,one silly word and you;re all jumping on high horses and threatening to go on spending sprees to "punish" a man you say you love .
And we wonder where the younger generation get such strange attitudes??
Surely I cant be the only person over 60 who thinks THAT behaviour is every bit as bad as ONE word.

What a strange attitude to life /marriage where ups and downs are all part of the fun .If ONE word upsets you so much I'd recommend you seek help

paddyann54 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:21:09

I spent yesterday morning talking with a friend who lost his wife 15 years ago to cancer .He was diagnosed last year and given a year....ish to live .Yesterday he got bad news,his year is almost at an end .
Get a life Grans,its far too short to act like outraged virgins at ONE word

Gingster Wed 30-Nov-22 07:30:48

My Dh is ALWAYS telling me to ‘stop squawking’. I laugh - it makes me giggle and defuses my rage!

Harris27 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:33:14

I’d have said it back to him!

argymargy Wed 30-Nov-22 07:51:11

paddyann54

I quite obviously live in a different world from the rest of GN.
I have a fantastic marriage ,have spent most of every day in my husbands company ,worked together ,lived together ,laughed and cried together .
One remark ,one silly word and you;re all jumping on high horses and threatening to go on spending sprees to "punish" a man you say you love .
And we wonder where the younger generation get such strange attitudes??
Surely I cant be the only person over 60 who thinks THAT behaviour is every bit as bad as ONE word.

What a strange attitude to life /marriage where ups and downs are all part of the fun .If ONE word upsets you so much I'd recommend you seek help

Exactly this. He was rude but I’m sure you have your moments too.

Marydoll Wed 30-Nov-22 07:51:19

I have to say, I agree with paddyann's post.

It was rude and unacceptable, but I would have called him out, not rushed out to compensate, by using his credit card. That doesn't solve anything.

nanna8 Wed 30-Nov-22 07:52:47

Tell him to stop whining.

Esspee Wed 30-Nov-22 07:59:34

I find it interesting how many would put up with such disrespect for the sake of peace. It does make me wonder how much abuse they are taking from their OH verbally or otherwise.