Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you say if your husband told you to stop squawking?

(143 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 29-Nov-22 10:02:35

OK I am good and mad and sad at the moment. Dd rang about a query she had with dh. He claimed I was the one who raised it and it wasn’t him. Then when I protested said ‘stop squawking’ and didn’t like I disagreed in front of dd. This isn’t the first time he has used this horrible expression although I have told him not to. I think he does it primarily to deflect attention away from what I have said especially if I am right! He has phobic issues inculcated by his mother when he was very young so is used to trying to manipulate people but I find this just plain rude and disrespectful.

Passthechocolates Thu 01-Dec-22 17:23:28

djgmpg

It’s an oppressive and belittling comment. If you don’t find a way to deflect this sort of behaviour I suggest it’ll get worse. It’s one of the ways men (like your husband) attempt to keep women in their place. Or the place they would like them to be! Don’t accept it.

What are you on about, for goodness sake it’s a passing comment. I feel sorry for men these days they darent even open their mouths half the time without being accused of something.
Lighten up … and stop looking for trouble.

Jane71 Thu 01-Dec-22 17:37:24

Yes it's a passing comment, but if Avalon has repeatedly told him that she doesn't like it, shouldn't he try and stop it.

Eloethan Thu 01-Dec-22 18:49:22

Nasty.

Blondiescot Thu 01-Dec-22 19:22:08

kevincharley

Wow! I've just read some of the comments and I'm amazed at the strength of feeling in some. Life's too short to get your knickers in such a twist over something so minor.

Absolutely!

Sarah74 Thu 01-Dec-22 19:30:32

I think there are different reactions on here because we don’t know the relationship of the OP and her husband. My DH and I have a very jokey relationship and if this comment was made to me it would be in a ‘funny’ way, with a smile. The way the OP described it, it sounded rude, and as if it was a common occurrence, even though unwelcome.

Jaxie Thu 01-Dec-22 20:32:02

Fortunately I don’t live full time with my rude dismissive husband: I moved to the south coast and he visits every few weeks. Why didn’t I divorce him? I decided I would never be poor again and negotiated an excellent monthly allowance. We put on a brave face for the sake of our children.

Dickens Fri 02-Dec-22 00:59:34

kevincharley

Wow! I've just read some of the comments and I'm amazed at the strength of feeling in some. Life's too short to get your knickers in such a twist over something so minor.

... "minor" to you.

Most people understand - men and women - when they are being deliberately provoked by a word that the person using it knows they don't like.

I've done it myself in the past when I wanted to goad someone. And I knew what I was doing - I suspect the OP's husband did, too. Because she already told him she didn't like him using that expression.

Dickens Fri 02-Dec-22 01:13:36

I feel sorry for men these days they darent even open their mouths half the time without being accused of something.
Lighten up … and stop looking for trouble.

Oh, the poor menz... it's all so unfair to them - they can't even have a bit of fun insulting you these days...

M0nica Fri 02-Dec-22 07:46:02

Context is everything. It is not what you say, it is the way that you say it.

Witzend Fri 02-Dec-22 09:29:32

I’m quite good at doing a chicken-cluck, so I think I’d do one of those every time he spoke to me - for a day, at least.
And ‘forget’ that he’s there for dinner - cook just for me. And cluck at him if he has the temerity to say anything.,

HiPpyChick57 Fri 02-Dec-22 09:32:30

ExaltedWombat

WERE you squawking?

Seriously???

HiPpyChick57 Fri 02-Dec-22 09:39:06

Witzend

I’m quite good at doing a chicken-cluck, so I think I’d do one of those every time he spoke to me - for a day, at least.
And ‘forget’ that he’s there for dinner - cook just for me. And cluck at him if he has the temerity to say anything.,

Yes this. Then when he opens his mouth to complain he has no dinner tell him to stop skwalking.
Then chuck him a handful of corn 🤣

Sharina Fri 02-Dec-22 10:40:26

Oh how very rude. This happened to me a couple of years ago when my husband tried to shut me up. I said in a joking voice “Did you just tell me to be quiet? You’re feeling brave today? “ etc. I took the Mickey out of him. We all fell about laughing, which defused the situation. It never happened again. Bottom line. Turn him into a joke.

jocork Sat 03-Dec-22 07:54:12

GrannyGravy13

I would have probably told him he was being rude and disrespectful and then gone shopping with the credit card that he pays 🛍️🛍️🛍️

As I read this an advert opened up below it for 'Rooster credit cards'. Do roosters squawk?
Is that just coincidence? Made me laugh anyway. Completely off topic! Sorry folks!

Ali08 Sun 04-Dec-22 13:55:54

Elegran

You may mean gawking, not squawking, Ali08 Squawking is the noise that anxious chickens make.

Oh, ok. Thank you, Elegran.
But I'm sure I've heard people say, "Let's have a squawk" as in 'let me see'. Maybe they got it wrong, too! Lol

Allsorts Sun 04-Dec-22 14:04:17

What a horrid word, do you squark. , if so that would be annoying, if not I would tell him to shut up and leave him to it and take yourself off somewhere nice and get a meal. He obviously thinks he’s amusing.

Elegran Sun 04-Dec-22 20:16:17

Ali08 something between a squint and a gawk? That reminds me of a cod definition of a mistress - "A mistress falls somewhere between a mister and a mattress".