Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that make you blub - unexpectedly

(112 Posts)
schnackie Wed 30-Nov-22 13:42:08

I am fairly unemotional, most of the time. When the lovely Queen died in September, I was very, very sad but I can't say I shed a tear. However I recently saw a short video on social media of the family on the balcony (probably from the Jubilee) and Princess Charlotte was watching her great granny, and when she (the Queen) started waving, Charlotte took the cue and began waving herself. All of a sudden I burst into tears!! Not just a drop either. It occurred to me that this wonderful lady who we are so used to seeing on a regular basis, is no longer alive. Then, again on social media, today I saw a post which said (I'm not quoting) that a woman said to her daughter "I hope I don't get Alzheimer's" and the daughter replied "Don't worry mum, if you do, I'll love you and look after you every day" Then it said the woman had had Alzheimer's for 14 years (or similar). I'm weeping just recounting this story!! So unlike me. What things make you suddenly just lose it?

nanna8 Thu 01-Dec-22 03:37:50

MadeinYorkshire I just read that and I feel so very sorry. Also Hellogirl1. Sometimes the world is a sad old place.

BigBertha1 Thu 01-Dec-22 06:42:38

Made in Yorkshire I am so very sorry for your loss. xx

Calendargirl Thu 01-Dec-22 06:51:49

Sincere condolences Hellogirl.

silverlining48 Thu 01-Dec-22 09:15:49

To Hello girl and made in Yorkshire so very sorry 😢

MadeInYorkshire Thu 01-Dec-22 09:30:13

Georgesgran

💐Madeinyorkshire

Robins!! After I read that the sight of a robin reminds us of a lost love one looking after us.
Absolutely ridiculous, but it didn’t stop me crying buckets in a garden centre on Sunday, when a robin landed just above my head and started singing.

That's strange you said that .... coincidence, I don't know but yesterday a robin appeared next to her best friend and followed her around her horses' yard, and 3 appeared in my garden too, which I believe in unusual in itself?

Esmay Thu 01-Dec-22 09:48:49

MadeinYorkshire -sending you love and prayers .

bikergran Thu 01-Dec-22 10:01:14

MadeinYorkshire I cannot even imagine the grief you are going through.

Ffion63 Fri 02-Dec-22 11:19:12

MadeInYorkshire

I’m so sorry to hear this. I can’t begin to imagine your pain. Sending you love. 💐

sweetcakes Fri 02-Dec-22 11:20:29

Auld Lang Syne does it for me every year and a few other songs as well 😢

Humbley Fri 02-Dec-22 12:03:37

I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your daughter my heart goes out to you its never right to lose a child xx

knspol Fri 02-Dec-22 12:13:28

MadeinYorkshire, so very sorry for your loss, such heartbreak for you and the rest of your family. An unimaginable tragedy for you all.

Peaseblossom Fri 02-Dec-22 12:14:07

Sago me too. No matter how hard I try not to cry. 😭. I do cry very easily though. I think it’s inherited as my mum was the same.

Rosiestocks Fri 02-Dec-22 12:14:23

MadeInYorkshire Sincere condolences. Thinking of you x flowers

LizzieL Fri 02-Dec-22 12:14:48

MadeinYorkshire and Hellogirl1 - my heart goes out to both of you as I know how agonising it is to lose a child (a 32 year old new mum in my case). I find that less things make me cry now, 120 weeks on, but your posts bring the pain back. Sending you heartfelt sympathy.

Rosiestocks Fri 02-Dec-22 12:26:03

Hellogirl1 and LizzieL
Sincere condolences to you both too flowers flowers

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Dec-22 12:31:19

MadeinYorkshire flowers
HelloGirl [flowers}

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Dec-22 12:31:45

Hellogirl flowers

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 02-Dec-22 12:38:45

MadeinYorkshire No words. Just a heartfelt hug.

Sawsage2 Fri 02-Dec-22 12:40:11

MADEINYORKSHIRE. My thoughts are for you. So sorry to hear your sad sad news. 🌸

MissMarpleknows Fri 02-Dec-22 13:02:58

Made In Yorkshire, please accept my sympathy in your grievous loss … 💐💐💐

LRavenscroft Fri 02-Dec-22 13:20:00

The hymn 'I vow to the my country' at any funeral.

Penelopebee Fri 02-Dec-22 13:29:44

Madeinyorkshire
You cry as much as you need to, the thought of what you are going through brought me to tears too.
If you can accept some love from a complete stranger. Here is some for you ❤️💔❤️

Romola Fri 02-Dec-22 13:37:36

MadeinYorkshire the tears welled up when I read your post. Heartfelt sympathy.
I have been crying quite a lot lately. Two months ago I joined the club no-one wants to be a member of when my darling husband died. Other widows are the ones who help.
I think there is an organisation for bereaved parents which you may find helpful .

Unigran4 Fri 02-Dec-22 13:46:38

Have just watched chimp video and I'm in bits!

Irismarle Fri 02-Dec-22 13:54:00

When my younger son was about 7 he was in hospital just before Christmas. One evening a small choir of young nurses came round and sang carols in the ward to all the children lying in bed. Sob! I remember my son being baffled and a bit mortified by me trying to stop sniffing.