Gransnet forums

Chat

Nostalgia is not what it used to be -or is it?

(56 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

MawtheMerrier Sat 28-Jan-23 22:52:02

What is with all these backwards looking threads inviting us to share our “first” or “earliest” experiences?
Is it a sign of encroaching senility?
Eg “I remember when you could get a bar of chocolate and 5 Craven ‘A’, a fish supper and still have change from sixpence”
Or have I strayed into Mumsnet with the likes of
Were you pressured into giving up breastfeeding?
Morning sickness
Potty training
Your first film at the cinema
First day at school
Where you met your first love/DH (delete whichever is not applicable)
Products we used to use
Now Pocket Money and Saturday jobs
Childhood sweets
Biscuits/puddings /meals of our childhood
They say your life flashes before you when you die- is this in preparation for that?
It’s too much like sitting round reminiscing in the day room in the care home for me. Life is for living now not harking back to outside lavatories and clogs on cobbles shock yawn

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 29-Jan-23 09:48:12

I enjoy the Nostalgia threads, my parents and brother are dead and I have none to reminisce with, other than those here on GN.
MrOops had a very different upbringing than I did and he’s useless at reminiscing or even remembering.

How can you look forward when you literally don’t know what’s coming?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 29-Jan-23 09:48:32

No one not none…

Joane123 Sun 29-Jan-23 09:52:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Georgesgran Sun 29-Jan-23 09:57:23

I have no problem with nostalgic threads - as an only child in the North East, it’s interesting to see what went on in other families, especially in different parts of the UK.
Unfortunately, without wanting to get maudlin, it seems as if many GNs don’t have much to look forward to and daren’t speculate on ‘the future’. We have GN’s with terminally ill loved ones, or suffering the same fate themselves. Many are finding themselves less active and not as alert with the passing years. None of us knows what lies ahead and I’m fairly fit, but for now, I’ll be more than happy to babysit DGS2 on Wednesday.

Kandinsky Sun 29-Jan-23 10:02:45

I like the nostalgia threads.
I don’t post on them but I love reading about other peoples memories.

Casdon Sun 29-Jan-23 10:18:17

It’s just a Gransnet phase, one memory thread sparks another. I’m looking forward to a proliferation of Gardening threads at some point - roll on Spring.

MawtheMerrier Sun 29-Jan-23 10:33:25

Message deleted as it quotes a deleted post.

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 10:36:36

Riverwalk

Interesting Maw - I feel the same way, just as I do when posters say they listen to radio stations that play 60s/70s music.

Not that I don't reminisce about past times or enjoy the odd old record here and there, but for some reason I get a feeling of 'dread' with too much nostalgia.

But 60s/70s music was so much better generally!

It's not nostalgia, it's a preference.

M0nica Sun 29-Jan-23 10:49:04

The older we are the further back we remember. Haven't you heard teenage girls giggling over things from their childhood, all of 10-12 years ago. It is just the same. 10 year's to them is the same as 60 plus years to us.

Anyway, remembering things from long ago is not nostalgia. Nostalgia is: a sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past. To be nostalgic in all the threads you name MawtheMerrier, we wouldn't just have to remember the first day at school, the first film we saw, etc etc , but look at those events through rose-tinted specs and see them as happy days with no clouds.

You only need to read these threads to see that the one thing missing from them is 'nostalgia'

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 10:52:40

MerylStreep

Have you seen the price of eggs in Tesco’s 😂

there were NO eggs in our nearest Sainsburys, none at all!

MawtheMerrier Sun 29-Jan-23 11:01:59

Jaxjacky

It’s also worth bearing in mind that phishers and hackers love all this nostalgic wandering as often people use favourite words as passwords and GN is public.

Absolutely
There are regular warnings on FB about those threads which ask about your first pet, primary school, street etc.

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 11:03:30

I do enjoy an occasional dip into Past Times

I used to like that shop, Urmstongran 😃

In fact, when I was having a clear out yesterday, I found a Past Times mug in the cupboard, in the style of Clarice Cliff. (If only it was a real Clarice Cliff.)

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 11:04:40

they used tosell really nice jewellery

nanna8 Sun 29-Jan-23 11:16:07

I like the nostalgia. Without it all would be forgotten. I love ancestry and all the historical things too but then I studied history for many years so I guess it is part of my makeup. I am not lonely and I have many friends but you can’t beat a dip into the past. I am particularly fascinated by World War 2 because of family members who were involved in the airforce and in some cases, killed. Lest we forget.

timetogo2016 Sun 29-Jan-23 11:20:20

I love talking about the past,the 70s music was my favourite and life seemed to be very happy.
One of my grandsons loves hearing about what my life was like and what i got up to etc.
I remember my first day at school as if it was yesterday,i hung onto my mothers dress like crazy.

Parsley3 Sun 29-Jan-23 11:22:43

I think of them as liberty bodice threads and hide them. But that's just me. Like the games threads, they are popular and gentle and there is a place for that here.

Lexisgranny Sun 29-Jan-23 11:24:14

Years before they closed I bought a shopping bag from Past Times. The design, both sides was books on shelves and for all these years it has served my as my library book bag. We have seen library assistants come and go, but the bag is still going strong, I even sewed inside a little pocket to hold our library cards. One assistant asked me how many books it had held over the years, I couldn’t even hazard a guess, but just getting that bag out makes me think of all the books that have given me pleasure since I bought it.

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 11:37:02

that is lovely Lexisgranny smile

MaizieD Sun 29-Jan-23 11:40:16

Message deleted as it quotes a deleted post.

rafichagran Sun 29-Jan-23 11:43:05

I just see them as pleasant chatty threads, I am looking forward to retiring and making plans sometime this year, does not mean that I dont remember some things from the past and smile.
I also think the forums are for everyone, I do not like gardening,or baking threads either so I avoid them. I love house and home, and I find Black Dog kind, helpful and non judgemental.
Just ignore threads you are not interested in, or start a looking forward one maybe.

LouGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 29-Jan-23 11:47:52

Thanks for the reports on this thread. While we encourage healthy and robust discussion, we hope that everyone can
respect each other in their choices and express their views without resorting to personal attacks.

Peace and love

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 11:58:22

Your first film at the cinema

Where you met your first love/DH

That reminded me of a song by The Drifters - "Kissin' in the Back Row of the Movies"

Cue for a thread - well, did you?

(Sorry, MawtheMerrier blush)

farview Sun 29-Jan-23 12:11:27

Its simple really...look at the thread title...or the opening post....then don't bother reading it if its something that doesn't interest you....😊

VioletSky Sun 29-Jan-23 12:20:31

If we do away with all the threads some people aren't interested in...

What's left?

The forum is here for all of us and caters for all of us. That's a good thing

nexus63 Sun 29-Jan-23 12:30:19

mawthemerrier, some people don't really have much to look forward to and memories of the past are what makes them smile. i am almost 60, i have lost a husband of 18 years and a partner of 18 years, i will live on my own for the rest of my life, i spend 90% of my life housebound due to illness, i am not sad about my life...it is what it is, i love my old music and remembering dancing with my husband to the song young girl as he was 18 years older than me, laughing with my partner at silly things, but i also look forward to seeing my son and his family and getting phone calls and facetime from other family members. my life is not over...it is just different to how i thought it would be, but sometimes the memories are what keeps you going.